How many cheap ponchos do you bring?

JacLynne

Earning My Ears
We are going in August, and I know it will probably rain nearly every day. That being said, I was going to bring cheap, disposable ponchos with us. We are a family of 5 going for 13 days. How many should I bring? TIA!

Last time I went in August I brought one for every person for every day out of 9 or 10 days and I came home with 2 per person left..... so yeah every day minus maybe one or two unless you do afternoon breaks and then you could probably get by with a few less than that.

The past 4 summers, we've done 17 days trips and are also a family of 5. It may or may not rain....we've had trips where there were storms for 10 days in a row. Not all day, but a quick passing one. We've also had trips, last summer included, where we went 10 days without afternoon/early evening t-storms (they happened overnight). Having said that, we use WalMart ponchos and typically one will last the entire trip. We usually bring 7 or 8 total, just in case one rips, but unless we do something crazy with them, they hold up just fine.

we use to buy 1 pp person for half the days of our trip. Then we bought the disney parks ponchos and havent looked back. They are so much nicer than the cheapies and they last. We bought them online during a 20%off parks merch sale. As a bonus, that is a lot less plastic waste from us!

we use to buy 1 pp person for half the days of our trip. Then we bought the disney parks ponchos and havent looked back. They are so much nicer than the cheapies and they last. We bought them online during a 20%off parks merch sale. As a bonus, that is a lot less plastic waste from us!
I’ve done the opposite. I got a Disney poncho but then went right back to the disposable and wish I wouldn’t have bothered. I hate carrying it around soaked the rest of the day, much prefer to just toss the poncho when I’m done. But I usually don’t bring much into the park.

None. I don't like to carry things with me. If it rains bad enough I need a poncho I'll pick up a Disney one.

I am also going in August. Went last year in August, 4 of us and brought 12 ponchos. It only rained 1 day and we used 6 and I brought the rest home. Just me and my granddaughter this year so I'll bring 8 just in case.
I'm always the one that gets stuck carrying everything so I'll bring 4 to the park and leave the rest in the room.

I used to get the two for a dollar at the dollar store. Now I have the jackets that folds up to be a small bag / pouch. Works great and I am able to clip on to my belt!

Usually just one per family member but we only visit the parks for 6-7 days per trip. I get them at Walmart usually or you could buy them off Amazon etc. I keep them in my backpack for the trip duration and also keep a plastic shopping bag or large ziplock bag. After use, I fold them up and put them in the plastic bag and back in the backpack they go ready for re-use. For a longer trip you could do 2 per family member in case one gets ripped, lost etc.

I take about 6-7 for our family of 6 on a 7 day trip. But I'm usually the only one who will wear one. And I only wear one if we can't get out of the rain by ducking in to a gift shop or going to a show or indoor attraction. And I wear one on Kali River Rapids because I hate walking around the park in soaking wet clothing. I do try to refold it and use it a few times. We don't carry any bags in the park, so if I can't fit a disposable rain poncho in my pocket, I don't take one to the park that day.

We also have Disney rain ponchos (purchased the year we had 10-12+ hours of torrential rain every day of our trip) but we only use those if there are severe, lengthy rain showers in the forecast for the day. I think we might have used those once since our monsoon trip 10 years ago.

I have one that is for camping that I can re-use. I prefer that for really rainy days. They pack down pretty small, so they don't take up too much space in my bag. Amazon has a ton of them. I do also bring the single use ones (I prefer the ones with sleeves. I'm 6'3" and they fit me nicely) for those just-in-case-days. For those I'd suggest one per person, and few extras as the single use ones can fall apart after 1-2 uses. Also bring ziploc bags to put the single use ones in when/if you plan to reuse them. They usually fit in a quart bag quite nicely. Be sure to squeeze out all the air so you can pack them in your bag.

Also, I invested in a pair of shoe covers to keep my feet dry. On my last DW trip I got to use them and I have to say they worked quite well. So, while you are getting ponchos, also take a look for those as well. Just search amazon for "water proof shoe covers" - there are several styles to choose from.

We are going in August, and I know it will probably rain nearly every day. That being said, I was going to bring cheap, disposable ponchos with us. We are a family of 5 going for 13 days. How many should I bring? TIA!

I wouldn't bring them. I did once, and ended up buying nice Disney ponchos anyway. The cheap ones seem to work fine for a very light rain. For anything else, the Disney ponchos worked much better.

I’ve done the opposite. I got a Disney poncho but then went right back to the disposable and wish I wouldn’t have bothered. I hate carrying it around soaked the rest of the day, much prefer to just toss the poncho when I’m done. But I usually don’t bring much into the park.
I wouldn't bring them. I did once, and ended up buying nice Disney ponchos anyway. The cheap ones seem to work fine for a very light rain. For anything else, the Disney ponchos worked much better.
pretty much this^^^^ the cheap ones might as well not have anything in heavy rain. I have folding the Disney ones into a compact size down to science and don't mind carrying them around.

Since it's incredibly wasteful and bad for the environment to use cheaply made, single use plastic items, we are still using Disney ponchos that were bought in the late 90's. They cost more but will last a long time. There are five of us.

Afterwards I fold them up and put them in my backpack and hang them up to dry when we get back to the room.

I got Coleman ponchos at Target for about $6 each. They've survived 4 trips so far and they'll be coming again in August. They can be a pain to fold up when wet, when we're going in and out of buildings in the rain, so I do stuff them into a big plastic bag if we have to use them multiple times before we get back to the room.

Now I have the jackets that folds up to be a small bag / pouch. Works great and I am able to clip on to my belt!

We got some Rain Jackets at REI for an Alaska trip and they work great in the parks plus have the bonus of being able to be used everywhere.

Since it's incredibly wasteful and bad for the environment to use cheaply made, single use plastic items, we are still using Disney ponchos that were bought in the late 90's. They cost more but will last a long time. There are five of us.

Afterwards I fold them up and put them in my backpack and hang them up to dry when we get back to the room.

We still bring our yellow Disney parks ponchos that are at least 18 years old! We also have some of the new clear style because my kids needed the child size (which we didn’t have anymore) and another day I left ours in the room and needed to buy them. The Disney ones are great quality and last a long time and definitely save a lot of waste.

Also, if you purchase a Disney poncho, if it rips on that trip they will replace it at no charge with your receipt.

We still bring our yellow Disney parks ponchos that are at least 18 years old! We also have some of the new clear style because my kids needed the child size (which we didn’t have anymore) and another day I left ours in the room and needed to buy them. The Disney ones are great quality and last a long time and definitely save a lot of waste.

Also, if you purchase a Disney poncho, if it rips on that trip they will replace it at no charge with your receipt.

We have some yellow ones and a few clear ones with Mickey on the back. It's a bummer they don't make that design anymore. I actually hate using them now because I am worried about them getting messed up. They're basically antiques at this point lol

I don't think we bring any. Maybe my wife has a hidden stash. :)
But, if it is light enough rain that a dollar store poncho can handle, then I usually just go without one.
If it's heavy enough to require a Disney parks poncho, then I would probably just wait it out in a store.
If it ever rains for an hour, which, so far it hasn't, I would proabably just buy them at the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter