How many days of school do your kids miss a year for vacations?

Dang! That's really rough. I get that schools have to have rules and limits for these kinds of things, and I respect that, but family vacations and travel in general are valuable experiences for a kid. Pulling an elementary -aged kid out for a week for vacation (assuming they don't have attendance problems in general) shouldn't be a problem, and I'd be miffed if it was.

Luckily I know our school is supportive of family vacations (it was one of the first questions asked/answered during kindergarten orientation 😂 and the principal's response was just "absolutely okay, but can I come?"), and we've made a concerted effort to make sure kiddo gets to school every day (she has no absences so far). But I know not all districts make this easy on parents. We're fortunate.
I didn't care for teacher much. I volunteered a lot in her classroom, hired her contractor husband for stuff in my house but I think she was just not a nice person. After that school, a public one, we put her in a private school. We were told that pulling kids out for vacation was "extremely frowned upon" and teachers are under no obligation to give make up work. I'm so glad to be out of that state.

This will be the first time we're taking our kids out of school, but she is only in first grade and we will only be taking her out for four days around Memorial Day weekend. The only reason we are doing it is because it's use it or lose it with our DVC points. She is in first grade and goes to public school and we go the same speech, but she's killing it school wise so I'm not too concerned.

None. Because we homeschool. However my daughter will start DE this summer so I expect thar to change. Bummer because she can take college level classes but isn't old enough to leave home alone.

Our kids are little (oldest is in 1st grade) but we don’t take them out for vacation anymore. We prefer they don’t miss days, and for us it isn’t a big deal to do our travel during school breaks. A lot of the time it just makes sense anyway, like going to WDW during President’s Day week for the Princess race, or going to DLR for Thanksgiving since we meet up with local family in the parks. I’m also a fan of the parks during 4th of July week for the special fireworks, and I enjoy the festive atmosphere during Christmas/NYE.

Our son had to miss 2 days at the beginning of the year and has to miss the last 2 days for a graduation. We are also thinking a week in April for Disney but that would put him at 10 full days missed for trips. School hasn't said anything but I'm wondering what's "normal" for families.
Elementary age, I wouldn't worry about it. In middle school and high school, I would try to avoid the missed days because its harder for them to make up the lost work.
It also depends on the policy and culture of your school or school district. Some are strict about not missing for vacations, and others are more lenienet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter