• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How many days?

Jfsag123

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of trying to take a trip to DL next year so I'm doing some preliminary budget planning. I am debating whether to do 3 or 4 park days. Is 4 too much? Three too few? We are a family of 4, kids will be 7 and 5 at the time and we would get hoppers. I went to DL once as a child and then for one day on our honeymoon 10 years ago, so it's safe to say we're a family of DL newbies!

We never go for less than 5 - there's just that much to do and it makes for a more relaxed trip since we don't feel we have to spend every moment possible in the park. In fact we often go back to the room for a little rest in the late afternoon and then head back for dinner.

For our family (kids ages 5 & 7), I've found the perfect time is four days at the hotel and three days in the parks. We use one day to just chill (swim in the pool, explore downtown Disney, maybe see a movie).

I would go 4 if the budget can hold it. Sure, you can probably do everything you want in 3 days, but seeing how you're coming out from the east coast I suspect you're not going to be back anytime soon so you will want to repeat the good stuff. With kids that age I suspect afternoon breaks will also be in the cards each day. Four days would give you a chance to go back and catch the little things you might have skipped at the beginning of the trip (like the Animation Academy or shows) as well as some time to wander downtown Disney. Basically, you can do it in 3 days but 4 days will give you "breathing room".

I don't think that 4 days is too much, at all, for those who haven't been in a long time (or even those who haven't). Both DLP and CA are very, very dense parks. There is a ton to see and do.

If it's busy, it can also be very stressful, frankly. Having that extra day to not feel as rushed can be a huge bonus. If you feel like you've seen enough after 3.5 days, you can take a half day and hit the pool :)

Part of the beauty of these parks, to me, is the attention to detail, the little things, etc. Having a little time to stop and smell the roses (sometimes literally) is pretty great, and would be worth an extra day in expense for me.

Just my $.02 tho.

Based on the fact that you pretty much have never been to DLR. And you have a young family that will be needed to take breaks. 4 or 5 days is what I recommend for a relaxed time.

3 days is just not enough. 4 or 5 days is better if you can afford it. At 4 days you still won't have time to see everything, but you will leave more satisfied.

If you can budget it in I would say a 5 day is the way to go! There is so much to see and do between the rides, parades and shows.

Wishing you a magical time!

We're planning on 5 park days when we go this spring. My kids are close in age to yours (my oldest & youngest turn 6 & 3 during our trip and my middle will be 4 1/2), and it has been awhile for my DH & I too. Since it will likely be pretty busy when we go, we figured spreading out our days at the parks would be a great way to enjoy our time there at a more relaxed pace. We're doing a Beach day and a day trip down to San Diego to visit family and the Zoo as well so we'll have a couple days mixed in for variety too.

we go yearly and do 5 days. plus a rest day. plus a day or two doing something else like SeaWorld or Knotts..
Even with going regularly we still haven't done everything we want to do..
with 5 days you are giving yourself plenty of time to do what you want and go back for seconds if time allows.. plus allows you to go back to the hotel at some point during the day for a rest with the little one..
hope you have a great time

Looks like the consensus is to err on the side of having too much rather than too little time. Thanks so much for the feedback - hoping we can make it happen! I really like that DL has all of those dark rides and am desperate to get my kids out to see it.

Looks like the consensus is to err on the side of having too much rather than too little time. Thanks so much for the feedback - hoping we can make it happen! I really like that DL has all of those dark rides and am desperate to get my kids out to see it.
Right now Orbitz and Cheaptickets are running a 4 days for the price of 3 deal, so that can help make up any cost difference for you as well. I think you definitely made the right choice to go for more days, it really lets you enjoy more without having to rush, rush, rush. Have a great time!

4 days at a minimum, as some others have said it makes for a more relaxed trip. Of course if you can spare more days I've done six and felt that to be the perfect amount of time.

4 days would be the least amount of time I would recommend. We always get the maximum park ticket (now only 5 :sad2:) and always get hoppers. With the parks so close together that gives us the flexibility and freedom to do things in each park

For us it depends on what time of year we are going. If the parks are projected to be packed we do 4 days because it allows us to see everything without a sense of urgency. If you are going to have to fight crowds and long lines its always better to give yourself the extra day or two. We live in Northern California and get to the park at least once a year so 3 days is good for us. We also go during the week at the least crowded times since we have young kids. We are moving to Texas this year so when we plan to come back and visit it will be for more like 4-5 days.
For Halloween time and Christmas I suggest 4 days
Summer, we have never been and never plan to lol Way to crowded for us but I suggest more days
Are favorite time is September/November but our next trip is May which I'm bracing for high crowds
Check touring plan and that Website, ISitpacked and then decided on days based on crowd levels for your visit.

Honestly it depends on your style. I think 3 days is more than enough, but we also don't go on every ride or see every show. If you want the full experience and to do literally everything, 4 days is better.

I would go with 4 days rather than 3 if it's financially feasible. There's a lot to do at Disneyland/DCA and it would be more enjoyable if you weren't pressed for time and got a chance to relax a little bit. Especially with kids, it's really nice to be able to go back to the hotel or leave the parks for a little bit during the busy afternoon crowds.

The more days you have, the better! In fact, even with 4 days, you might not get everything done, so it's always best to shoot for more days and be relaxed as opposed to having too little time and rushing around to everything in. It is a vacation, after all! If you find 4 days is too much time, then you can always take a break at your hotel for the last afternoon or so. You can take mid-day breaks everyday, something that would be hard to do with only tree days. 4 days is a good amount of time for a solid disneyland visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter