How many direct VGF points to buy?

achinforsomebacon

Mouseketeer
The incentives at VGF are too good to pass up right now. Before spending a ton of money, I need a sanity check. Is it a waste to get more than 150-200 points direct since that will qualify for membership extras? Would going up to 400-500 points just be a waste when we could supplement with resale?

Here's a little background. We have two 200 point BLT resale contracts, one restricted and one unrestricted and both not eligible for membership extras. With the current incentives at VGF, our preferred resort, we were thinking about essentially converting the resale points to direct to get more years at a more preferable resort, have all unrestricted points, and be eligible for membership extras. On a price per point basis, the current incentives look really good...on a total cost basis, 400+ points is eye-opening!

Buying VGF will also result in changing use years and a new membership, which isn't the end of the world but a bit of an inconvenience (our use year has already passed and we'd want to shift to take advantage of Magical Beginnings on 2022 points). If it was the same use year, it would be easier to just swap the restricted contract for direct and then just have two home resorts at 200 each with all points being unrestricted and direct benefits from the new contract.

Should we just bite the bullet and go all in on direct?

We bought and sold a restricted contract after having just one year because we didn’t like it.

So, it wasn’t about membership extras but having all of our points good at RIV..our favorite..and whatever comes to pass as new.

It’s a tough call but if you think you are content with the original resorts then having a mix might work.

In 18 years, when the 2042 go away, though, you will have just 8 WDW resorts left to use those resale points. If those still work then it might be good to get that minimum

My guide keeps telling me I can't use Magical Beginnings on a Use Year that hasn't occurred yet. Initially I wanted August UY since I thought I'd only be giving up 2022 points but he said I can only use that promotion with the UY they're selling right now, which is Feb for VGF (so I'd be giving up 2023 points with MB). I'm assuming I just got a bad guide?

My guide keeps telling me I can't use Magical Beginnings on a Use Year that hasn't occurred yet. Initially I wanted August UY since I thought I'd only be giving up 2022 points but he said I can only use that promotion with the UY they're selling right now, which is Feb for VGF (so I'd be giving up 2023 points with MB). I'm assuming I just got a bad guide?
Do you already have a contract? I got August, but I already have an August use year from a resale.
I didn’t get a choice on use year, it just defaulted to the one I had.

Do you already have a contract? I got August, but I already have an August use year from a resale.
I didn’t get a choice on use year, it just defaulted to the one I had.
Same here. I'm adding 300pts direct at VGF. It's actually two contracts of 150 each but qualifying for the incentives at the 300pt mark. I have 350pts VGC with an August use year so the points I'm adding are going to be August as well. I will obviously be using the Magical Beginnings for the 2022 points.

I had a March use year but I asked for September because I wanted one to cover fall and early winter travel. It wasn’t a problem to get.

I think right now with resale more expensive than direct for VGF, if you want VGF, buy Direct!

I guess your real question is do you want BLT resale or VGF direct... Seems to me you could sell your BLT for close to the cost of the VGF points, so if you can do that, why not, and get 4 more years out of DVC...

I am buying tonight and have no issue getting an August use year, while getting Magical Beginnings..i already have March and September but wanted August for other reasons. I'd request a new guide.

Last edited:
I think right now with resale more expensive than direct for VGF, if you want VGF, buy Direct!

I guess your real question is do you want BLT resale or VGF direct... Seems to me you could sell your BLT for close to the cost of the VGF points, so if you can do that, why not, and get 4 more years out of DVC...
All things equal, would definitely prefer VGF direct over BLT...it would be a lot closer if it wasn't for those pesky broker commissions. I think I figured it would be about $15k net to convert to VGF. Now, that's for 4 more years (5 for us since we've used our 2023 points), VGF priority (not sure if that's needed), direct benefits, and the ability to use all points instead of half at any new resorts.

Same here. I'm adding 300pts direct at VGF. It's actually two contracts of 150 each but qualifying for the incentives at the 300pt mark. I have 350pts VGC with an August use year so the points I'm adding are going to be August as well. I will obviously be using the Magical Beginnings for the 2022 points.

If I read the sheet they gave me for current incentives correctly, aren't the incentives at 300 points worse than at 150 points? Here's what I mean (included only 150 and 300 points):

1687478554112.png

For 150 points the price is $27,465 which is $183.1/point pre MB and 161.1/point post MB
For 300 points the price is $55,260 which is $184.2/point pre MB and 162.2/point post MB

I took the prices as listed for members with "free" vacation points, developer credit, and "welcome home".

In other words, buying 150 points twice would cost you $54,930 vs. $55,260 for 300 points. The MB credit for 150x2 vs 300 is obviously the same ($6600).

Last edited:
If I read the sheet they gave me for current incentives correctly, aren't the incentives at 300 points worse than at 150 points? Here's what I mean (included only 150 and 300 points):

View attachment 770198

For 150 points the price is $27,465 which is $183.1/point pre MB and 161.1/point post MB
For 300 points the price is $55,260 which is $184.2/point pre MB and 162.2/point post MB

I took the prices as listed for members with "free" vacation points, developer credit, and "welcome home".

In other words, buying 150 points twice would cost you $54,930 vs. $55,260 for 300 points. The MB credit for 150x2 vs 300 is obviously the same ($6600).
I believe the issue is that you can't get the Welcome Home Credit twice. The way it was explained to me is that if you buy 300 or two 150 contracts you only get $1500 in the Welcome Home either way.

Be cautious when your docs come through. I got my Docusign today and the Welcome Home Credit wasn't on either contract. It was an oversight but I'm glad I went through it before signing.

I believe the issue is that you can't get the Welcome Home Credit twice. The way it was explained to me is that if you buy 300 or two 150 contracts you only get $1500 in the Welcome Home either way.

Be cautious when your docs come through. I got my Docusign today and the Welcome Home Credit wasn't on either contract. It was an oversight but I'm glad I went through it before signing.

What if you have 2 reservations, or a cruise and a WDW trip? Still only 1 "welcome home" credit?

It's only a difference of $330, or 0.6% but this pricing scheme of 150x2 vs 300 is so nonsensical that I probably would have just said either give me 300 points for $54,930 ($27,465 x 2), or I'll take 150 today for $27,465 and we can talk again in late August about another 150 points. Somebody would probably lose out on some commissions in June so they may push some buttons for that extra $330 discount. :)

What if you have 2 reservations, or a cruise and a WDW trip? Still only 1 "welcome home" credit?

It's only a difference of $330, or 0.6% but this pricing scheme of 150x2 vs 300 is so nonsensical that I probably would have just said either give me 300 points for $54,930 ($27,465 x 2), or I'll take 150 today for $27,465 and we can talk again in late August about another 150 points. Somebody would probably lose out on some commissions in June so they may push some buttons for that extra $330 discount. :)
I did my tour while at Kidani for three nights before embarking on our Wish cruise with a reservation at VGC in February. If you find out that you can double up, I'd be thrilled.

Last edited:

I agree that it's nonsensical! We were originally looking at two 200 points contracts. The 400 point pricing with all the discounts is $170.4/point...why is this almost $10 more than the 150-200 point pricing? Then the 200 point pricing x2 with only one Welcome Home would end up being $161.7 for one and $169.2 for the other or $165.5 overall. Not terrible but still worse than ~$161 you can get for smaller contracts.

My concern is that this might push us to 500 points to get it down to $159.6/point!!!

I was told the same thing. Did you push it at all (ask to check with a supervisor)? I was going to but wanted to be sure of exactly what we wanted and ready to commit if they could make it happen.

Without tying the incentives to the number of points, it creates some really goofy sweet spots in the pricing.

I agree that it's nonsensical! We were originally looking at two 200 points contracts. The 400 point pricing with all the discounts is $170.4/point...why is this almost $10 more than the 150-200 point pricing? Then the 200 point pricing x2 with only one Welcome Home would end up being $161.7 for one and $169.2 for the other or $165.5 overall. Not terrible but still worse than ~$161 you can get for smaller contracts.

My concern is that this might push us to 500 points to get it down to $159.6/point!!!

Unlike the case of the 150 and 300 contracts, in your case 2x200 with one Welcome Home is still substantially better than a 400 add-on by $2000. That's really crazy! :crazy2: - Makes me think these pricing charts were an afterthought for larger point buys. Consider this:

If you could pull off buying 3x150 (450 points) at $161.1/point each (after MB) that would be $72,495.
A 400-point add on would be $68,160 after MB, but that's not a viable option based on the observation above, because -
The 2x200 point option with one Welcome Home credit would be $66,160.

If you compare $72,495 and $66,160 you basically buy the extra 50 points (450 instead of 400) for $6335, or $126.7 per point.

Now you just need to talk your guide into letting you do 3x150 at $27,465 each with MB :). This would be a big sale for them - I would think a manager would make it happen but it sometimes seems like some things are not flexible at all with direct sales of vacation ownership.

What's the worst that would happen with the 3x150 or 2x200 options if you did a single 150 or 200 point add on with all the credits and came back after it closes 10 days later and did another? Odds are probably 99% MB will still be around and worst case is they deny you another Welcome Home credit. So you'd be back where you started and just lost 10 days. Or they may not care after you closed, and you come out ahead by a few $000.

So after thinking long and hard on this, I think we're going with 500 points. We originally planned on 400 but the way the incentives are structured for VGF, the additional 100 points are really only costing us $137 pp.

Now my question is how to split them up. I know 150 is the magic number to qualify for membership extras and we don't want anything over 200. What's the best option?

200/200/100
200/200/50/50
200/150/100/50
150/150/200
150/150/150/50
150/150/100/50/50 (most flexible but 5 might just be too many!)

I know there will be additional closing costs but that's inevitable if we want to keep each contract under 200.

It would make it a whole lot easier if you could break up a contract later. The reasons we're having trouble deciding are 1) we might end up flipping 50-100 of the points in a year or two if we find that it's too much and 2) if we ever wanted to pass contracts to our 2 kids while keeping one ourselves, we'd want to make sure they get the direct benefits.

So after thinking long and hard on this, I think we're going with 500 points. We originally planned on 400 but the way the incentives are structured for VGF, the additional 100 points are really only costing us $137 pp.

Now my question is how to split them up. I know 150 is the magic number to qualify for membership extras and we don't want anything over 200. What's the best option?

200/200/100
200/200/50/50
200/150/100/50
150/150/200
150/150/150/50

I know there will be additional closing costs but that's inevitable if we want to keep each contract under 200.

It would make it a whole lot easier if you could break up a contract later. The reasons we're having trouble deciding are 1) we might end up flipping 50-100 of the points in a year or two if we find that it's too much and 2) if we ever wanted to pass contracts to our 2 kids while keeping one ourselves, we'd want to make sure they get the direct benefits.
Just out of curiosity what are you trying to book regularly with 500 points? Anyways of the options I personally like the 200/200/50/50. It gives you the ability to drop either 50 or 100 points and have them fetch a nice premium since they’re small contracts. You can also give each of your kids a 200 pt contract for their families later when you pass away and if you only sold one 50 pointer then you can just give the remaining 50 to your favorite child :p

200/200/100
200/200/50/50
200/150/100/50
150/150/200
150/150/150/50

Since you're getting a new UY and want membership extras I would break it into either 150 or 75 point chunks. It would be easy to sell off and keep a 150 master contract or two 75 point contracts. You could also easily transfer to a relative while retaining benefits for everyone.

I would go for the 150/150/150/50 out of your options. Or maybe 200/150/75/75 if you don't mind a 200 point contract and four closing costs.

I'd vote for 150/150/150/50.

That let's you potentially gift each kid 150 while keeping your 150 too. Then along the way you can peel off the 50 if you want to sell that for other pts or to just unload unused pts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter