How many hours do you work in a week on average?

I'm a teacher that's now in a support position working with a special population of students and coaching teachers. I work approximately 50 hours a week on average. Many weeks I have to do prep work for the next week on the weekend which adds 4-5 hours. There are also the weeks I have to be at the school in the afternoon/evening for events which adds another 4 hours or so. So between 50-60 hours per week.

I used to be a teacher, but when my kids came along I became a stay-at-home mom. My hours are 7am-8:30pm every day, often later if I'm picking up DD16 or driving her friends home. We have a small farm, so some of my day is spent doing that. I sit down to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Other than that I am constantly in motion. I am exhausted by the end of the day.

At 8:30pm ish DH and I sit down to watch tv. Currently we are watching Suits (and liking it!). Bedtime is around 9:30/10pm.

I'm a civil servant. At my agency, we have a set "tour" that we work, but my position frequently has mandatory overtime, so I work an average of 90 hours every 2 weeks (just for clarity, that's 90 hours in a 2 week pay period, usually 40 hours one week and 50 the next).

Last edited:
46 - 50'ish most weeks, not counting weeks I'm handling emergency on-call 24/7. My employment agreement calls for 37.5 as standard but I have tasks that simply MUST be done, no matter what it takes.

I used to be a teacher, but when my kids came along I became a stay-at-home mom. My hours are 7am-8:30pm every day, often later if I'm picking up DD16 or driving her friends home. We have a small farm, so some of my day is spent doing that. I sit down to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Other than that I am constantly in motion. I am exhausted by the end of the day.

At 8:30pm ish DH and I sit down to watch tv. Currently we are watching Suits (and liking it!). Bedtime is around 9:30/10pm.
We are also watching Suits right now- and also liking it!

When I was working in tech back in the early days of bank consolidations - I worked 6 days a week - usually 18+ hours a day - I worked this schedule for many years…never made a penny in overtime!

Minimum is 40-45 hours a week days M-F, plus 15-30 hours of on call hours a week.

On call hours are a toss up, sometimes I don't get a single call, sometimes I'm working the entire shift. So, it's possible for me to work 75 hours in a week, but it's usually in the mid 50s.

I'm a teacher - 7am-2:30pm M-F. This does NOT include the mental toll/work/stress outside of school hours and on the weekends because boy, there is a lot to stress about! Obviously doesn't include the out of hours grading, emailing, prepping either.

Officially: exactly 40. There is no overtime budgeted for my position and we are not allowed to earn comp time so if I work more than 8 hours in a day, I am expected to flex within the pay period.

Realistically, I am scheduled for 8.5 hours a day but I rarely take my lunch break so add 30 minutes there and I don't always get out on time so, maybe another -2 hours a week. And, I do read and respond to emails, texts and phone calls during off hours so add another 1-2 hours a week.

Let's call it 40-45 hours a week. But this is my retirement job so I am taking it easy. I used to put in a lot more hours.

here in the EU we have laws that cap how many hours per day or per week. One can work. I believe 48 hours is the max per week. my contract is for 37,5 hours full-time. I bank or borrow and it's required by law to keep an hour log. I have mine in excel and only I see it but we have to do it incase we get audited. That is standard here in Germany. Legally I cannto work more than 10 hrs a day and not beyond 8pm for my position. lol. there are times where I break that law, lol.
Top management have a different contract for 39 hours. most work more, but I have never seen like a 50/60 work week with them either.

medical staff and positions like that have a different rule where they have like 3x a week 24 hour shifts, but that includes rest times. they are sticklers though on the day of rest.. like you cant work more than 6 days in a row without a day off type thing...

wierd this is I was recently told i HAVE to take once a year 2 weeks vacation as a block ( of my 6 weeks ) as this 2 week vacation is seen then as my annual "rest". Vacation is legally in a way viewed as "rest" Our company has to give us 2 weeks at a time as medically that allows us to rest and recover lol. and not be "overworked"

How many hours do you work in a week on average?
According to my job description 40. In reality (I'm salaried) it can vary, both ways of course, but it's not unusual for me to be over. Mostly just because staff is working outside of MY normal work hours and I can't ignore emails because it drives me nuts to know their is a question that I can answer right then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter