How many miles do you get out of a pair of running shoes?

dta87

DIS Veteran
So for those that track the miles that you put on your running shoes, how many miles do you get before you retire them out of your running rotation? I understand that this is dependent upon multiple factors to include your weight, what surface you run on, quality of shoe to name a few.

Right now I have a couple extra pounds so I would say I am a heavy runner, about 200lbs and run exclusively on roads and have used Asics stability shoes since I started running starting with the GT 2100 series and for the last couple years the various Kayano models so not the cheapest but not the most expensive either. Since 2014 I have faithfully tracked the mileage I put on my shoes and I have gotten about 350-400 miles from the first couple pairs of Kayanos. But, one pair in the rotation right now has less than 130 miles on it and I think it showing excessive wear (main tread worn to the secondary cushion)

16731462_10154582231924775_1603522244_o.jpg

Just wondering how far other people make it in their shoes

I get 350-450 miles out of my Kayanos. I begin rotating in a new pair when the current ones hit 250. The rotation stays in place until the original pair get worn out.

I tend to "run heavy" or pound a bit when I run, so I try to limit my shoes to 300 miles or so. If I start having knee or foot pain in the latter half of their lifespan I'll sometimes switch them out to see if that's the cause.

Depends on the shoe for me, but I tend to get...

Saucony Triumph - 500 miles
Saucony Zealot - 500 miles
Saucony Ride - 350 miles
Saucony Kinvara - 180 miles

I've got a solid rotation of 2 Triumph, 2 Zealot, 2 Ride, and 4 Kinvara (2 races only pairs) all at various points in their lifespan. I track the mileage on a spreadsheet but try not to evaluate the totals. I want to keep myself blinded to how many miles are actually on them and let the "feel" of the shoes dictate when they're done. But without fail, they tend to be around those numbers for me.

Brooks Ghost: 350 miles. I think they have more life left at 350, but I'd rather not take any chances.

Due to an order screw-up, I did 450 miles in the latest pair, with no ill-effects.

I usually go about 350 miles before retiring my shoes, but my latest shoes have all-TPU midsoles (instead of the EVA foam), so I am able to go farther with these. I am currently 400+ on two pair right now. I'm 6'0" and 180 lbs, and I have a pretty neutral gait.

250-300 for me. I just really like a cushioned shoe and once it starts getting flat on the inside...I start wanting news ones. I also have a shopping problem, so that contributes.

I'm already thinking about news ones right now and I'm not even at 200 yet on my current pair.

but my latest shoes have all-TPU midsoles (instead of the EVA foam)

Saucony Freedom, Adidas Boost, or something else? I'm really excited to try the new Saucony Freedom but haven't made my way to the local store yet.

Saucony Freedom, Adidas Boost, or something else? I'm really excited to try the new Saucony Freedom but haven't made my way to the local store yet.

Actually, both... I have been using a couple pairs of the Adidas Ultra Boost ST for the past six months, and I've started rotating in a third pair recently. However, a week ago, I purchased a pair of the Saucony Freedom ISO, and I really like them. Not quite as much cushioning as the Ultra Boost STs but still very well-cushioned. They definitely feel lighter and closer to the road (which they are), and this is a good thing for the most part. My thoughts going forward are to use the Freedom ISOs for my speed, strength, and tempo workouts as well as any 5k and 10k races, and I will use the Ultra Boost STs for my longer runs. Either shoe will work fine for my easy runs, so I can just alternate. I haven't figured out which ones to go with for a half marathon race, but I have time to figure that out.

Forefoot striker here: I've never gotten more than 300 out of a shoe, and most are shot at 200-250 - my heels show practically no wear at all, but when the outer soles of the forefeet are worn down to the midsole, I have to let them go.

I figure a 20 week Marathon training plan ends my shoes, so I change after the race. I believe the quoted average is 300-400 miles

I wear Asics Nimbus and get around 300. I can tell once my knees act up that they are done for as I need a lot of cushioning. I like to keep 2 pairs going so when one dies it's easier to rotate a new one in. The bottoms get worn out but that's not what I look at as it's the inside cushioning that goes flat that I feel. I run on blacktop almost 90% of the time.

I have 4 pairs in the rotation right now (a hold-over from Dopey 2015) and I retire them when I start feeling it in my knees during/after a run.

You might want to consider changing shortly before the race. Running in a fresh pair with only 25-50 miles on them will make your feet happy over the time & distance of the race.

That's what I did for my Dopey and Marine Corps. I wouldn't say my feet were happy but they did appreciate it.

You might want to consider changing shortly before the race. Running in a fresh pair with only 25-50 miles on them will make your feet happy over the time & distance of the race.
Interesting! I've always been paranoid of making any changes near to race time, in case I don't like the new shoes as much, of course if I could get the exact same model, I could see the merit in that.

Interesting! I've always been paranoid of making any changes near to race time, in case I don't like the new shoes as much, of course if I could get the exact same model, I could see the merit in that.
I change my shoes right when taper starts...I read a rule of thumb somewhere that you want the same number of miles on the new pair as what your race will be. Who knows if that's right though?! :upsidedow

I get about 300 to 350 miles on a pair of shoes. My husband gets closer to 500 miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter