• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How many national parks have you visited?

I've been to one International -
  • Brimstone Hill Fortress NP in St. Kitts.
For the US Parks, I have to do a list as I don't keep the number handy. It also gets confusing because we rope in all kinds of National Monuments, Memorials, Forests, Rec Areas, and Historical Sites on our national park trips. Here goes...
  1. Mammoth Cave
  2. Yellowstone
  3. Grand Teton
  4. Everglades
  5. Badlands
  6. Death Valley
  7. Grand Canyon
  8. Rocky Mountain
  9. Arches
  10. Canyonlands
  11. Mesa Verde
  12. Black Canyon of the Gunnison
  13. Great Sand Dunes
  14. Hot Springs
  15. Great Smoky Mountains
  16. Theodore Roosevelt
  17. Glacier
  18. Capitol Reef
  19. Bryce Canyon
  20. Zion
  21. White Sands
  22. Carlsbad Caverns
  23. Guadalupe Mountains
  24. Wind Cave
Some have had multiple visits. We usually visit RMNP whenever we're in CO, Yellowstone is a must if we're in that region no matter what, etc.

I'm hoping to add a few more of the California parks to this list over the summer. One day, I'll get to add my top three Alaska parks (Katmai, Denali, and Kenai Fjords) to this list.

I guess you've also got the National Historic Parks. Out of those, I've been to:
  • Independence NHP in PA
  • Morristown NHP in NJ
  • New Orleans Jazz NHP in LA
  • San Antonio Missions NHP in TX
  • Saratoga NHP in NY
  • Thomas Edison NHP in NJ
  • Valley Forge NHP in PA

Last edited:

We have done I think 16. The National Parks are amazing and a true treasure. They are all unique and awe inspiring. I wish every American could see them!

We will be in Acadia in a week or so on a cruise!

Acadia is one of my favorite National Parks, because it's within driving distance for us we've probably been there half a dozen times.

I've been to 20 National Parks, and a lot of areas specified as National Monuments/Areas/Seashores. It's strange, because to me Mount St. Helens, Mount Rushmore, etc. are also part of the National Parks system.

22 but it's always a work in progress. I"m obsessed with collecting the stamps. So that includes a lot of national monuments, places. Love to visit historic places.

I have no idea. I live in one - the South Downs - so at least one! The Grand Canyon? Is that one? And Death Valley and Hoover Dam? I have no idea.

I have no idea. I live in one - the South Downs - so at least one! The Grand Canyon? Is that one? And Death Valley and Hoover Dam? I have no idea.

Hoover Dam is more or less part of Lake Mead National Recreation Area, which is part of the National Park Service. However, it's administered together with the Bureau of Reclamation (an agency in charge of many federal water projects along with the US Army Corps of Engineers and the Tennessee Valley Authority) which actually operates the dam. The logo on the exhibit hall says "DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR - BUREAU OF RECLAMATION".

Hoover_Dam_Exhibit_Hall_EXT-1-1630x860.jpg

The National Park Service itself doesn't operate all these protected areas. The US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, and other agencies are in charge of several national monuments and other sites.

22 but it's always a work in progress. I"m obsessed with collecting the stamps. So that includes a lot of national monuments, places. Love to visit historic places.

I've noted that many national monuments aren't necessarily operated by the National Park Service. I think some of them have similar stamps, like this one:

passport5222.jpg

But there's this locally operated visitor center that's near the freeway. They have their own stamp.

passport5224.jpg

I've only been to a few - but we did make it to the Dry Tortugas. If you are ever in the Florida Keys, I highly suggest the day trip from Key West. It's about a 2 hour boat ride but so beautiful.

Hoover Dam is more or less part of Lake Mead National Recreation Area, which is part of the National Park Service. However, it's administered together with the Bureau of Reclamation (an agency in charge of many federal water projects along with the US Army Corps of Engineers and the Tennessee Valley Authority) which actually operates the dam. The logo on the exhibit hall says "DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR - BUREAU OF RECLAMATION".

Hoover_Dam_Exhibit_Hall_EXT-1-1630x860.jpg

The National Park Service itself doesn't operate all these protected areas. The US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, and other agencies are in charge of several national monuments and other sites.

Thanks, @bcla - I must say just seeing the dam is impressive in itself, but when you go right down into it via those amazing lifts to the generator rooms - WOW!

Thanks, @bcla - I must say just seeing the dam is impressive in itself, but when you go right down into it via those amazing lifts to the generator rooms - WOW!

It's not quite as massive, but the largest reservoir in California is Shasta Lake. I like the variety of signs they use for the Forest Service and Bureau of Reclamation.

b6d4728b-065b-4076-802e-400b35add566-lake.jpeg

The US Forest Service has iconic and uniform signage. Basically level or tilted with part of the text in script form.

e2f74163-970f-4313-b9fd-8df8bf62e248-medium16x9_shasta.jpg

sign+2.jpg

And of course the US Forest Service's most famous icon:

810SYAlcMiL.jpg

I've only been to a few - but we did make it to the Dry Tortugas. If you are ever in the Florida Keys, I highly suggest the day trip from Key West. It's about a 2 hour boat ride but so beautiful.

I made a reservation for a Fort Jefferson fast cat trip years ago but it got cancelled due to a storm. I mean - all my reservations in the Keys were cancelled and there was a mandatory evacuation for visitors. I booked with Sunny Days, which I understand is no longer in that business after another company was given the sole ferry contract. I wasn't sure what to do once the storm was over, but I went to a visitor center in Homestead and the employee there said that they'd appreciate visitors in Key West since they lost a lot due to the storm. It was either that or I'd go to Everglades NP (which I did later in the trip).

It’s on my bucket list as well, and my wish is to do one a year, God willing. I’m only up to SIX, but hoping to up my travel after retirement. I’m curious to everyone’s favorite since I’m always thinking about our next trip!

It’s on my bucket list as well, and my wish is to do one a year, God willing. I’m only up to SIX, but hoping to up my travel after retirement. I’m curious to everyone’s favorite since I’m always thinking about our next trip!

Yosemite.

I love Fort Jefferson. I used to go there every year or so with my Air Force Reserve squadron to maintain the rangers’ quarters and paint the lighthouse. This is an old (film) photo I took from a Blackhawk in formation.
A872853E-E146-4CC1-9B16-BF49FFF8EA04.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter