How many of you have bought in and kept travel patterns the same?

We were very careful not to overbuy on the first go around. We bought 200 VGF points so that we could stay in a 2-bedroom every 2-3 years. After this first trip in the 2-bedroom, I decided I wanted to go at least once a year. Our kids are young, but the oldest is about to be school-age which will clip our traveling wings a bit. We like to travel to a lot of different places, so we didn't want to be locked into Disney-only vacations. I have never stayed at Aulani, but Oahu is my least favorite Hawaiian island. We prefer Maui. We went on a trip to Croatia last year for our 10-year anniversary. We're headed to to Cali wine country next month, Vegas the month after, Destin, FL after that, and Colorado after that. Also, we are going to DL later this year and will also go to San Diego for part of that trip. Needless to say, we travel a lot, and I will say that DVC increases our Disney trips from once every 5+ years to maybe once a year. It's so great to have the kitchen, living room, washer/dryer, etc. We love DVC, but we have to have freedom to travel anywhere without too much of a financial commitment to DVC.

This was always us too until we stayed at Aulani. I think because we'd always stayed in Waikiki so 2 or 3 nights was enough. After a week at Aulani we have a new appreciation for Oahu. We only went into Waikiki for 1 afternoon. Such a different atmosphere. We spent a week at Aulani then went to Maui for 3 nights and kept wishing we'd done it the other way around. Aulani was so magical and wonderful. Next time we'll try to finish up at Aulani!! Try Aulani - you may be pleasantly surprised!!

We bought in 2013 and as empty nesters are fine with a studio in May (F&G) October (F&W)and Jan/Feb (industry convention). We try to go when it is off holiday and not at the peak of rainy season.

We planned on going once a year initially but bought discounted DVC AP's one year and went 3 times, then we went twice and then we skipped a year and rented our points. It depends on how we feel and what is going on with other planned vacations. Last year, we went to a wedding in Mexico for a week and a birthday party in Turks and Caicos so we skipped Disney. We were supposed to go to Disney for Spring Break but would have missed the opening of Avatarland so we rescheduled to December.

So, in listing all of this additional information above, to answer your question directly... our travel patterns will most likely not remain the same to Disney.

I bought in late 1999 with plans for my mom and I to go mid May at OKW and early December at BWV. That worked May 2000 to May 2005. Sadly, my mom passed away in September 2005. I cancelled our planned December trip and banked the points. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep DVC. After a solo trip the following year at BWV, I decided I could not give it up. So now I go with friends and sometimes solo but no set pattern. We have thrown Disneyland into the mix, this July will be our 5th VGC trip (going to D23). Also have Early December planned at BWV. Last year we did May at Poly and October at BWV.

We bought with the intention of going to WDW 2 of every 3 years. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't. It hasn't lost it's lustre for us, just a matter of economics.

DW and I are hopeful when the kids are out of college we will be able to have quick getaways more often.

We bought after realizing how often we were going to WDW - DH and I occasionally have work conferences there (2 out of the last 3 trips in an 11 month period), our kids are young and love it... We finally decided to buy after seeing our travel patterns in the last year and now that ODD is on a school schedule, I can't hunt for deals like I used to. Realized that if we were always going to be renting points (by August, will have done it 3x), we may as well own. So ... current plan is that we have enough points to alternate a studio and 1BR for 6 nights annually either in summer or spring vacations (but planning 2 shorter trips in 2018 because YDD will be turning 3 around T-giving). Then, if we like it enough (aka DH decides he wants to stay in a 1BR), we'll probably buy another contract at an EP resort with a different UY to go in the fall/Xmas. THEN the plan will be to alternate the contracts (banking/borrowing) to stay in 1BRs annually, with an 11 month window at BLT and BCV/BWV. We'll see... we just passed ROFR, so a lot could change! LOL

When Mom and I bought in 1992, she was 68 at the time, and I was 34. We were spending 2 weeks in a Contemporary tower room. We had planned to do Disney every few years in that manner. We overheard a young couple on the monorail on the way to EPCOT talking about DVC, and though we had no intention of buying, we made an appointment to see OKW (then the Disney Vacation Club Resort) and purchased on the spot. The minimum was 230 points.

Our travel patterns soon changes, we added on 3 more times up to a total of 345 points. We were traveling to Disney 2 to 3 times per year, alternating between studios and one bedroom units. Occasionally getting larger units for a larger group.

Mom passed 6 years ago, and I sometimes travel alone, sometimes with extended family and friends. One trip was with 16 people in 2 two bedroom units and a one bedroom unit. The latest trip in February was with a friend and we stayed in a Polynesian studio, it was my first DVC experience outside of OKW. The next trip is a solo in early December in an OKW one bedroom for 8 nights. My travel patterns continue to change, but I still use my DVC to the fullest.

Last edited:
Ours have changed. We bought as founding members at AKL. 200 points. We've since added on, mostly at AKL but one 200 point contract at SSR for a total of 860 points. We go about four weeks a year and stay in a variety of Villas but never Studios. We rent the odd bunch of points.

We have definitely increased our visits to WDW after we purchased and in the past few years, have taken random quick trips that before would not have possible before. We live in CA and typically go to Disneyland for the Easter Egg hunt but this year, due to schedules and the high cost of the flight from SF to SNA, we opted to skip this year. But just a few weeks ago, I found a roundtrip flight to MCO for $245, which was less than what the flights would have been to SNA. I had to book a split stay at WDW but the overall out of pocket expense was cheaper to go to WDW.

When we sat down with our guide, he asked "what is it that you are looking for?" After some thought, I answered "after 35 years of Canadian prairie winters, we are looking for a winter get-away to give us a break." It didn't take long for us to realize that there are so many other things and events to travel to WDW for. We've also enjoyed Flower & Garden, Halloween, and were planning a Star Wars weekend... even managed a Disney cruise.

We've switched times of year. We've brought friends and family, which we wouldn't have done without DVC. We've gone every other year (generally), and wouldn't have gone so frequently without DVC.

We've also taken a lot of other vacations during our ownership - paying cash rather than using points.

Ours has pretty much stayed the same - a week to ten days early to mid June. We bought a resale a few years ago which allows us to go for 5-6 days in December (just hubby and I) and that is so nice. This year we are going over the 4th of July for the first time. I know it will be hot and crowded but we want to try it at least once.

Our DVC usage is far, far, far different than when we first started. Our original requirement was "1 week, 1BR unit at BWV for an annual work conference in January." At first we traded in via II and later purchased SSR pre-opening in early 2004. We never had any particular difficulties obtaining the required BWV unit using SSR points. After 20+ years of conducting business at the Dolphin, Swan Yacht Club and Boardwalk conference centers, the event moved away from WDW after the Jan 2015 session. Okay ... what now?

Last year we used some points for a DCL cruise. We've twice visited Aulani and periodically snag a couple nights at the Grand Cal. Not really certain, at this point, how we'll use the points. I'll likely bank the balance of our 2016 points (>80%!) into our 2017 UY ... but that seems to put lots of pressure on us to use them next year. Hmmmmmmmm. We'll see, I suppose. No need to worry about that today?

Answering the other part of the OP's question -- we seldom visit WDW but often visit DLR. However, visiting DLR is usually a day trip or 1-night event. Not exactly "vacation" as much as "social experience shared with visiting friends." Our vacation habits lean to cruising, conferences/workshops and timeshare in mostly-remote locations (desert or mountain). We visit SW Colorado annually, using timeshare, for horsemanship clinics or workshops. We are working on our "world-cruise-in-pieces" and added a nice long chunk last fall sailing from San Diego (home port) to Sydney, AU. We stayed a week in Sydney using one of our other timeshares and then flew home on airlines miles. Sweet -- it was a near perfect vacation consuming the entire month of Oct. :)

Our DVC usage is far, far, far different than when we first started. Our original requirement was "1 week, 1BR unit at BWV for an annual work conference in January." At first we traded in via II and later purchased SSR pre-opening in early 2004. We never had any particular difficulties obtaining the required BWV unit using SSR points. After 20+ years of conducting business at the Dolphin, Swan Yacht Club and Boardwalk conference centers, the event moved away from WDW after the Jan 2015 session. Okay ... what now?

Last year we used some points for a DCL cruise. We've twice visited Aulani and periodically snag a couple nights at the Grand Cal. Not really certain, at this point, how we'll use the points. I'll likely bank the balance of our 2016 points (>80%!) into our 2017 UY ... but that seems to put lots of pressure on us to use them next year. Hmmmmmmmm. We'll see, I suppose. No need to worry about that today?

Answering the other part of the OP's question -- we seldom visit WDW but often visit DLR. However, visiting DLR is usually a day trip or 1-night event. Not exactly "vacation" as much as "social experience shared with visiting friends." Our vacation habits lean to cruising, conferences/workshops and timeshare in mostly-remote locations (desert or mountain). We visit SW Colorado annually, using timeshare, for horsemanship clinics or workshops. We are working on our "world-cruise-in-pieces" and added a nice long chunk last fall sailing from San Diego (home port) to Sydney, AU. We stayed a week in Sydney using one of our other timeshares and then flew home on airlines miles. Sweet -- it was a near perfect vacation consuming the entire month of Oct. :)

I still vacation every year in August since 1997 I have used my points for The Cruises which is wonderful. Love DVC

We went from once a year WDW to 4-5 times a year between Aulani, Cali, Orlando and see ourselves tapering off in a few years for a few years or using it differently like bigger trips with family and friends fewer times. Its adds up quick at Aulani alone if you go at the holidays and get a big room/view.

The main change in a vacations to WDW is that we now go for a longer trip. Prior to owning DVC we would go for 10-14 days once a year. Now we go either 1-2 times a year and spend between 4-6 weeks over those trips at WDW. My preferred vacation spot is WDW. Once I arrive I can just kick back and relax, no stress at all. What I really like is that with longer trips I don't mind spending and hour or two in the parks and then leaving. Plus crowds don't really bug me any more since I'll just go do something else.

We started 20 years ago with an annual January trip that morphed into an annual December trip. Then we started alternating back and forth but with the Food and Wine and now Flower and Garden Festival we are currently going in October and March each year. We bought enough VGF points a few years ago to do a 1 bedroom for Oct and a Studio for March. As F&W and F&G get busier and busier we might make some changes in the future but no idea what that might be currently. We're even talking about skipping WDW for 2019 (GASP!) and going to DL & Aulani.

Bought in ~6 years ago - travel patterns have remained very similar - a fall and winter trip. But thats mostly because of rundisney

We went once a year on a summer trip as a family. This started in 1994 and we missed maybe two or three times before we bought DVC in 2009. It was when BLT was built. Now, I try for at least 2 or 3 times a year and if I could afford the airfare, I would go probably even more! So, I definitely changed my Disney time. Fast forward to today, and we not only have the points we started with 180, we are in the process of adding on and by the end of the year, we will end up with 800!!! Of course, the purpose is so that DH and I can spend extended time when I retire in 2 years in the winter...yes, I am that crazy! Looking at 4 to 6 weeks and then the rest of the points will be used to do a family trip every other year!! I have done other things and while I have enjoyed the trips, I'd never choose that over going to Disney...

Right now we go once a year for 4-5 nights. We just bought a small number of points that will allow that, in a studio, and are planning to add on enough to allow a week in a 1 BR (we're a family of 4 and done with kids). We are planning to go 3 times in 12 mo starting in Sept, but mostly to use the points that came with the loaded contract and try a few resorts before buying more.

It seems like a lot of DVC members vacation all or mostly at Disney properties - is that the case for most of you? I get 6 weeks off a year and hubby has a flexible schedule, so we're planning on interspersing Disney with cruises, Europe, US driving trips, and etc. I'm curious as to what the rest of you have done, what your plan was when you bought your points, and how that has changed over the years of ownership. No judgment either way, just curious what others have done!

Interesting question!

We started out small, a long time ago & have added on as our needs dictated it. Closing on another add-on resale as I type :)

Initial plan was once, every 2 years. Now, i find myself visiting every few months as I am retired & the mr is fortunate enough to have several weeks of vacation time to fill.

We do other trips such as cruising, beach, vegas, etc. Enjoy taking family along, never seem to have enough points :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter