How many of you have not been able to work in your career since the pandemic?

WDWJDS

DIS Veteran
I know that many, many people have been out of work because their jobs had to close, but how many of you are still not working because your career profession has totally shut down production and have no idea as to when you can start working again?

I am an essential worker, so I have not stopped working at all. DD on the other hand, was touring with a show when everything stopped production and she came home. Since Broadway is shut down until the spring, who knows when tours will open up again. Of course she has taken another job in the interim, but the immediate future of her profession looks mighty bleak.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

I am a substitute teacher and have not worked since March. I was working almost every day before and do miss the kids and teachers I worked with. My parents, however, are high risk in their 80’s and I need to be available to help them out.

Therefore, I don’t think it is worth the risk for the little amount of money I was getting anyway. I never did it for the money, but because I love teaching and it suited our lifestyle the best when my kids were growing up.

Our district also has a convoluted schedule now with cohorts alternating half days and then having to do remote every afternoon. It is way too much stress for what I got paid. I just don’t need to rush to school in the mornings and then race home at lunch to teach remote in the afternoons. If I was getting paid a salary, that might be a different story. Too much stress and confusion for a part time job.

We will see what happens when this finally ends. I may go back to it or find another part time job or volunteer somewhere. I am very fortunate that I don’t “have” to work to pay the bills. I know most people are not in that situation and I feel so much for all those going through this.

I'm an independent contractor and choose my own hours. While my workplace has been open for a few months, I haven't gone in much because I don't feel comfortable with it, to be honest. My partner is immunocompromised so we have been trying our best to quarantine ourselves throughout all of us for his health. I'm glad I'm in a position where I can afford to do this, I know many aren't across all different fields of work.

Airline managment.. Furloughed most likely until this summer. For far my job is safe.. But learned that even working for almost 25 years at the same company that up until Covid was making BILLIONS a year can be put in jeopardy in a second. What Covid has done to this and many other industries is simply devasting. And to be honest if things dont pick up soon on 2021 we will see a HUGE snowball affect of jobs for non-aviation industries. Aviation has a HUGE supply chain from aircraft production, travel industry service and airport/city infrastrutures. It starts from the Boeing/Airbus factory ( I already see jobs affected at SKF who make ball bearigs for aviation) worker down to the City police officer assigned to airport/immigration duty and everything in between.

I know people who work in other industries and they live in a different world. For them nothing has changed besides having to wear a mask while out grocery shopping and they are still able to travel as they stay in the state anyways.

Last edited:

Airline managment.. Furloughed most likely until this summer. For far my job is safe.. But learned that even working for almost 25 years at the same company that up until Covid was making BILLIONS a year can be put in jeopardy in a second. What Covid has done to this and many other industries is simply devasting. And to be honest if things dont pick up soon on 2021 we will see a HUGE snowball affect of jobs for non-aviation industries. Aviation has a HUGE supply chain from aircraft production, travel industry service and airport/city infrastrutures. It starts from the Boeing/Airbus factory ( I already see jobs affected at SKF who make ball bearigs for aviation) worker down to the City police officer assigned to airport/immigration duty and everything in between.

I know people who work in other industries and they live in a different world. For them nothing has changed besides having to wear a mask while out grocery shopping and they are still able to travel as they stay in the state anyways.
:flower3: I hated to “like” your post but it was extremely relevant and informative for those that don’t have much vision beyond their own situations. It’s very similar here in the energy sector, already reeling prior to Covid. Although everybody flies on planes and puts gas in their cars, so much of the process is behind the scenes and beyond comprehension. The same can be said for a myriad of other industries - huge ones that governments world-wide simply can’t “print enough money” to protect.

We are fortunate in that we were able to continue working (I hate to use the word essential in relation to our work) and are in infrastructure and food production this entire time. Our Company has approx. 40 employees and no one has had Covid - or shall I say no one has gotten sick from Covid. 3 of us have been tested, all negative. Can see some fatigue setting in among employees in terms of daily requirements/protocols at start of work day to help mitigate risk at different jobsites, but we are working to reinvigorate everyone to be more vigilant.

I am a substitute teacher and have not worked since March. I was working almost every day before and do miss the kids and teachers I worked with. My parents, however, are high risk in their 80’s and I need to be available to help them out.

Therefore, I don’t think it is worth the risk for the little amount of money I was getting anyway. I never did it for the money, but because I love teaching and it suited our lifestyle the best when my kids were growing up.

Our district also has a convoluted schedule now with cohorts alternating half days and then having to do remote every afternoon. It is way too much stress for what I got paid. I just don’t need to rush to school in the mornings and then race home at lunch to teach remote in the afternoons. If I was getting paid a salary, that might be a different story. Too much stress and confusion for a part time job.

We will see what happens when this finally ends. I may go back to it or find another part time job or volunteer somewhere. I am very fortunate that I don’t “have” to work to pay the bills. I know most people are not in that situation and I feel so much for all those going through this.
That sounds awful! Our district has two cohorts who are in person two days each week, the virtual piece is horrible. I teach beginning orchestra students virtually. 2-4 kids at a time. The 2nd year players are doing fine but those beginners need so much guidance and really, they need my help physically positioning fingers, hands, and arms. It's really difficult.

Back to the OP's question, anyone in the arts is having a tough time now. Musicians, artists, performers of any kind. It's tough and I see people are being creative on fb but I can't imagine it is helping enough to pay the bills. Art is the one thing that all cultures all over the world have, and have always had. It's a huge part of what makes a culture unique. Art reflects the society's values and norms. To have the arts be so stifled is really awful.

I've been able to keep working, although it's from home right now. The only thing that got cancelled was an additional month in summer I intended to work.

I have been fortunate to have kept my job even though my hours have been cut by 40%. In our corporate offices only employees essential to the day to day operation of the company are still working. All the others have been furloughed or laid off. I am in the travel industry so it is tough right now. As someone else mentioned, if things don't turn around early in 2021 it will ripple to other industries.

Honestly it seems like it has reversed course at this point in terms of who is affecting who more. I think there are many people who are willing to get back on an airplane right now but the problem is that there just aren't that many places to go. Until other places begin to more widely open then there really isn't any point in going. I know Mexico is one of the rare exceptions and I think Delta upgauged at least one Cancun segment to A330 service this month.

Honestly it seems like it has reversed course at this point in terms of who is affecting who more. I think there are many people who are willing to get back on an airplane right now but the problem is that there just aren't that many places to go. Until other places begin to more widely open then there really isn't any point in going. I know Mexico is one of the rare exceptions and I think Delta upgauged at least one Cancun segment to A330 service this month.
Our analyze shows that there is a lack of demand generally in the biz segments. For leisure/ family/ friends the lack of demand is not truly market driven ( desire to travel or fear of travel due to Covid ) but influenced mainly by travel restrictions. The word quarantine scares more than Covid. Snowball affect is overall demand and schedules get adjusted.

I have not worked since March. I did per diem (substitute) work at a library - usually about two days a week. They are now open on a limited basis, but there will be no per diem work available for the foreseeable future. I could substitute teach, but schools here are still virtual and they are not using regular subs. Since I "retired" from teaching (I'm too young to actually draw any retirement yet) and have been just working per diem, I'm in limbo with no unemployment or protections, just no way to work. The reason I retired, my "volunteer job" of being with my parents, is also not available since I am unable to visit them in person at their facility. The bright side is that I'm getting lots of projects done at home.

Last edited:
Not me (I'm retired), but our son-I feel so bad for him. He's a professional musician in NYC, and used to work at 2 different Jazz Clubs in Manhattan as well as doing Weddings, Funerals (yes, some funerals have musicians), and Festivals in NYC. In addition, he was a part-time bartender in a restaurant in Times Square that was very dependent on tourists going to Broadway Shows. One of the many casualties of Broadway closing down. At least he's gotten a little work-today he worked 17+ hours at a polling place in Queens. But that won't pay too many bills.

Still working, and working harder now than I ever have in my life. We did drastic (and premature) staff cuts in March when everything was so uncertain and the remaining staff were all handed unilateral pay cuts. The volume of our workloads have not lessened and when we resumed normal activity in July we had a monstrous 3 month month back-log. Other departments have recalled staff but since my unit is not directly revenue-generating, we are expected to continuing doing more with less. Hard as it is, we still count ourselves among the lucky ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter