how many outdoor garbage can do you have?

One for garbage / one for recycling
Most of the time it’s more than enough - this past week - I could have used two of each maybe 3 on garbage!! Let’s just say it was to the limit FULL!!!
Edit - these are trash totes from trash co not trash cans from store - they are pretty big !

1 for garbage
1 for green waste and organics
1 for recycling
Each of those are 90 gallon cans.

zero bins, 1 2 yard dumpster

same except a 1 yard dumpster which is emptied every other week. costs less than a single bin (and they come to it vs. us having to haul bin(s) WAY down a long driveway).

We have the big 40 gallon things on wheels that are provided by our waste company. We have two of those (one trash one recycle) The big pita about this is that per our HOA they have to be in the garage. It's like a game of tetris with those crappy things. My DH is the tetris master!

yup, I relate!

snow coming tomorrow but as of now it's icy. even in the best of weather it's too long a schlep. added advantage over cost savings is we never end up with ours toppled over and stuff strewn all over the place due to the wind (and garbage company won't pick it up if it's not upright so neighbors have had to clean it up and deal with a full can for an extra week :crazy2: ).

3, one garbage, one recycle... and another one in the back yard for misc. as a holding area for back yard junk til it can be taken to the main garbage can.

One garbage can. One recycling bin. One green waste - yard, food scrapes, paper towels, pizza boxes

I mixed them up the other week and dumped all the recycling into the green waste. UGH! I used the grabbers I have to reach things on the top shelves and got as much of it out as I could.

1 for garbage
1 for green waste and organics
1 for recycling
Each of those are 90 gallon cans.
Same I have yet to put food waste and pizza boxes in the green waste. I'm sure one day I will get a warning notice

6 in total. One for trash pickup, one for mixed recycling (cans, glass, plastics..), and the other four are used for gardening and yard work. Gathering vegetative waste to take to the town recycling area, to bring back free
compost and wood chips from it, picking up leaves, and for protecting plants from severe weather.

same except a 1 yard dumpster which is emptied every other week. costs less than a single bin (and they come to it vs. us having to haul bin(s) WAY down a long driveway).
I ought to call Waste Mgmt and see if they can switch us to this sort of setup… we also have an extremely long driveway, that just happens to be uphill when the cans are full.

Not to mention, we have to time it just right so that the cans are down there for the least amount of time before pick up, to prevent wind or animals knocking them over. We get fined if the contents of our bin is scattered. If it’s too windy, we can’t even take them down at all. Or I have to sit there babysitting the stupid cans until the garbage & recycling trucks come. I have zero desire to do that, not gonna happen.

Is the service called anything special? I guess probably not beyond the dumpster size I’d imagine.

Right now we have 2 large garbage bins and one recycling. It used to be the opposite, but they’ve been reducing the items they’re willing to take in recycling, so we generate more garbage now. Like for example, they were taking grocery bags for a hot minute— then it was suddenly “Absolutely no plastic bags of any kind in the recycling bin even if the bags are recycleable.” It was the same with glass bottles. They made a big deal about accepting them, then 6 or 8 months later they reversed that directive.

Now - 4 - used to be 5

1 for garbage
1 for plastic/glass
1 for paper
1 backyard for garden trimmings, etc.

Not sure we will replace the 5th garbage one/might not need it for the two of us

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter