How many people bought their own ecvs?

freemore

Mouseketeer
Now that I realize that I need an ecv at Disneyworld, I am thinking of other ways that I could use one. How many people have bought one to use for other purposes? And if you have bought one, how did you decide which one to buy and what company and what kinds of things did you consider? Yipes, it's like buying a car!! Did you buy a used one? The one I saw today in a medical store that was so comfortable cost $1800! And yet I am so excited to find something that will allow me to do the things I've wanted to do but was unable to do because I can't walk very far. This is a new experience for me and I'm very excited about it. I sort of feel like I'm buying a motorcycle for the first time! :) Thanks for your comments!

Lene

A lot depends on your size and weight. The least expensive ones will have a weight limit of only 150#. The intermediates will normally have a limit between 250 and 350; the heavy duty will go to 450.

Also battery capacity is important, and if the chargerf is built-in or external.

Last September I bought a used ECV from Walker fo $1,200. Of course I had done a lot of renting from them in the past. Its seat had been replaced about two weeks previously and they gave me brand new batteries.

Another consideration is your normal transportation (type of car, SUV, van, etc.) and your lifiting ability. Would you be able to easily put the parts in the vehicle? Otherwise you would need either an external lift (which might not be able to be mounted to your vehicle) or an internal lift which will winch the ECV into the trunk or storage area.

We didn't exactly buy one, we inherited the use of one from my Grandmother when she passed away.

Daddy said we could use it for as long as hubby needed it as long as we stored it. However, if one of my parents ever need it, they want it back.

Grandmother bought it used about 8 years ago, and paid $600 for it. Although it doesn't have an internal charger, we have gotten great use out of it. DH uses it at WDW and Six Flags and when we go to Turner Field for Braves Games. I also use it for my annual camping trip to Ft. Wilderness. I don't need it or use it in the parks, but I do use it instead of a golf cart at Ft. Wilderness. I just park it in the golf cart parking and put a big cover over it. (Old grill cover). We don't have a lift or anything, we just lift it into the back of my pickup truck, take off the seat, and fold down the tiller.

I also used it once to drive down through the neighborhood hunting for my kid when he didn't come home on time :-)

Some friends of ours who travel to WDW quite often bought a used one for the express purpose of visiting WDW and other theme parks. They paid about $700 for it and feel the cost of it will pay for itself after 3 weeklong WDW visits and rentals.

Carol

Thanks Carol, It sounds like you are using it for the same purposes I need it for. I am going to start checking the advertisements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter