How many Pets have you had in total?

I've considered getting a dog but I've never had a pet in my life so far.
Do your research for sure. If you're someone that likes to get up an go on a weekend you need to know that dogs require a lot more time and attention that some people realize. I liken them to toddlers, really. You have to know their personalities re: who will get into the trash or be destructive if you're not around (usually an anxiety thing), and who you can trust to be out of the kennel if you're not home for a while AND you have to supervise their potty times. [ETA: Rereading this sounds like I'd leave my littles for a while by themselves or kennel them. Sweet lort! :rolleyes2:crazy: But if you have a too-quiet toddler in your house, you better go check it out; same with a too-quiet doggo sometimes.] They can be perfect for some people, but certainly not all, and you need to take into consideration their size and energy level when you go to adopt (or buy) one.
If you want a companion animal that can be more independent but still cuddle and sometimes play a bit, consider a cat. Most you can leave with food and water out for a few days and have no issues. There are more active cat breeds if that's your preference as well, so again, do a bit of research.

And please, if at all possible, adopt from a local shelter.

Do your research for sure. If you're someone that likes to get up an go on a weekend you need to know that dogs require a lot more time and attention that some people realize. I liken them to toddlers, really. You have to know their personalities re: who will get into the trash or be destructive if you're not around (usually an anxiety thing), and who you can trust to be out of the kennel if you're not home for a while AND you have to supervise their potty times. [ETA: Rereading this sounds like I'd leave my littles for a while by themselves or kennel them. Sweet lort! :rolleyes2:crazy: But if you have a too-quiet toddler in your house, you better go check it out; same with a too-quiet doggo sometimes.] They can be perfect for some people, but certainly not all, and you need to take into consideration their size and energy level when you go to adopt (or buy) one.
If you want a companion animal that can be more independent but still cuddle and sometimes play a bit, consider a cat. Most you can leave with food and water out for a few days and have no issues. There are more active cat breeds if that's your preference as well, so again, do a bit of research.

And please, if at all possible, adopt from a local shelter.
I volunteer at a local shelter now and am trying to learn as much as I can about them before I make a decision. Not something I'm going to rush into because I want to make sure we will both be happy and satisfied with our lives together.

14 cats
5 dogs
3 turtles
2 birds
2 guinea pigs
countless fish
and 12 rats. (started with 3, ended 12. kids named them all so couldn't get rid of them)

As a kid:
1 hamster
1 parakeet
1 dog
1 rabbit

As an adult:
3 dogs (current dog is 13 1/2 years old)
1 cockatiel
1 guinea pig (she is 5 1/2 years old)

Total - 9 pets

5 dogs plus 1 foster
7 cats plus 3 fosters
4 rabbits

We're currently down to 3 cats, 1 rabbit, and 1 dog, but we'll almost certainly be adding another dog and another rabbit in the coming months.

3 dogs. I had a dog growing up that lived 15 years. Then we got a dog when our kids were growing up that lived 12 years. We weren't going to get another, but we needed to be rescued from out empty nest and now she is at least 10. We won't get another after she passes since we'll be fully retired by then and hope to travel a lot.

In my lifetime
3 dogs
8 cats
3 rabbits
1 guinea pig
2 leopard geckos

Currently
1 dog
3 cats

I'm not sure...I'm 49. If I count the horses, ponies, non-feral barn cats, sheep, the odd goose or duck, a ferret and whatnot I'm not sure! Since I've been married and had a family? 7 dogs, 2 of which are still with us. And several barn cats, but I don't count them as pets!

3 cats
1 hamster
1 dog
1 cockatiel (the only current pet)
a bunch of fish - that was short lived.

As a kid: A few goldfish, white mouse (eww! A friend and I both got them), a parakeet and 3 dogs
Since being married: 3 goldfish, 3 frogs (both the goldfish and frogs were my sons first pets), 2 rabbits and 2 dogs.

currently pet free

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter