• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How many photo will a 256 mb card hold?

always quiet

Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the hyd
Just picked up a SanDisk 256 mb card for my camera. (final price $19.99 at Circuit City :cool1: ) I know it varies by the settings, but how many photos will this hold?

Also, this might sound like a stupid question, but here goes. :blush: Does the camera automatically store the photos on the card or do you have to 'tell' it to? I'm asking because I didn't know that the cell phones don't store your phone numbers on the SIM card until you tell it too. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help!!
:wave2:

Mine holds about 180 photos. Not sure what my settings are but that should give you an estimate.

WDWMom said:
Mine holds about 180 photos. Not sure what my settings are but that should give you an estimate.

On my camera it would hold about 25-30 photos.

I got the card today and put it in the camera. I have a Samsung Digimax 401, 5 megapixel. On the 2304 x 1728 setting, it will hold 366 pics. On the 2048 x 1536 setting, 452 pics, 1600 x 1200, 668 pics 1024 x 768, 1400 pics (??!! :earseek: ) and 640 x 480 would be 3083 :faint: Does this sound about right? There is such a HUGE difference in the amount of pictures it will hold once you play with the settings. I think I'll use the 2nd setting in Disney (2048 x 1536). I should be able to get good quality pictures using that. If I fill up the card, I can have Disney download them to a disk. :goodvibes

On my 4 megapixel camera I get about 350+ pictures on the card.

On my sons new digital camera I did have to change the setting to 'tell' it to use the card rather than the internal memory.

On my DiMage I can stuff about 900 photo's of medium quality at 1024 x 768 onto a 256mb card.

I only use 1 gig cards for my Nikon, and how many photo's totally depends on the settings, as faw as 98, as many as over 1000.

Anne

set your camera for the quality setting you like, shot a few random pics, move pics to your computer, check file size of the pics, get an average of the file size, then divide the size of your card by the average pic size and you then have a good ballpark figure for how many pics, on average, your card will hold. by the way, when i insert a card into my kodak, and then set a quality setting, i get a # on my camera that tells me how many pics it can write to my card,, does your camera do that? my manual also has a page that tells me this info, does your manual have that? from the questions you asked, i suspect you did not give your owners manual a really good reading. most, if not all, questions and concerns about digital cameras can be answered reading your manual.

ducklite said:
On my DiMage I can stuff about 900 photo's of medium quality at 1024 x 768 onto a 256mb card.

I only use 1 gig cards for my Nikon, and how many photo's totally depends on the settings, as faw as 98, as many as over 1000.

Anne

RAW+JPG does eat up cards in a heck of a hurry :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter