how Many points to rent? Weekly vs daily points

Large family first trip to WDW rentiNG two 2 bdrm villas,where would you suggest?

• Total voters

Jessica Furukawa

Earning My Ears
1st time renter here :wave:

We are looking to rent for 10 nights in 2020 and I’m trying to understand weekly point rates vs daily. When booking for an extended amount of time is it weekly point rate plus the daily rate for the extra days? How many points should I plan to rent? 1 week (7 days Saturday-Saturday) + 3 days (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday)

TIA

Getting 2 standard view 2 BR at BWV in choice season will be all but impossible. Your only shot is to have a renter lined up before the 11 month mark. Good luck.

Getting 2 standard view 2 BR at BWV in choice season will be all but impossible. Your only shot is to have a renter lined up before the 11 month mark. Good luck.

Oooh! Thank you for letting me know. Would you think it might be more possible to do through 2 different dvc owners for my dates in case one owner doesn’t have enough points? Or are you think beginning of October is in high demand and will book quickly?

For first large family trip, my vote is BWV. So much more flexibility with things to do, places to eat, etc in the immediate area. Always a good thing when you’re with a lot of people.

1st time renter here :wave:

We are looking to rent for 10 nights in 2020 and I’m trying to understand weekly point rates vs daily. When booking for an extended amount of time is it weekly point rate plus the daily rate for the extra days? How many points should I plan to rent? 1 week (7 days Saturday-Saturday) + 3 days (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday)

TIA
You don't rent points at all. You purchase a reservation that a member makes with their points. The number of points is only to determine the total price if you have a price per point.

The number of points is based on a daily point requirement, not by the week. The weekly point rate is only there as a convenience to looking a the number of points. You would require ten nights worth of points to determine the number of points used for the reservation. Your biggest problem is getting the ten nights since a member can only book up to seven nights at exactly seven or eleven months out and then needs to add the additional nights one day at a time.

One final point to know. DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY PRIVATE MESSAGE OFFERING YOU POINTS FOR RENT. You may get some based on this post. That's the way people get scammed. Unscrupulous people look for messages like yours to post a private message to and sucker you in with their amazing price per point or unbelievable reservation.

Oooh! Thank you for letting me know. Would you think it might be more possible to do through 2 different dvc owners for my dates in case one owner doesn’t have enough points? Or are you think beginning of October is in high demand and will book quickly?

October is extremely high DVC demand, and BWV Standard is a very small category with high demand. As well, 2BRs in that category are difficult to book because of their configuration. Each 2Br at BWV is a lock off, which means it is a connected studio villa and 1BR villa. As a result, every studio villa booked removes a 2BR from inventory.

Reality is that you would be extremely lucky to get one 2Br Standard. Getting two would be a lottery win. They will be gone by8:05am of the 11 month window.

As a renter, in fall, it is best not to assume you can realistically get any of the following, and to have backup requests and budget to pay for something else:
  • Animal Kingdom Villas Value or Club
  • BAy Lake Tower Standard
  • BWV Standard
There is a minor exception for BLT and BWV if you want a 1BR at 11 months, but 2BRs and studios are unlikely, and the AKV Value or Club will not happen.

To move backward on your original question, just use calculators for the points you would be paying for. The weekly rate is a Sunday to Sunday booking and is 5 week nights plus two weekend rates. If you are staying 10 days, you are probably looking at 4 weekend nights and 6 week nights. But rather than fussing the math, the calculator takes the thought out of it.

For first large family trip, my vote is BWV. So much more flexibility with things to do, places to eat, etc in the immediate area. Always a good thing when you’re with a lot of people.

From my research, I felt the same way! My group LOVES to eat! And the ease of having access to so many meal options and entertainment seemed great! But sounds like we will have a hard time getting the rooms we wanted...:scratchin
Back to the drawing board

If we were to do BWV during “choice season” weekly rate for standard of 2 bdrm villa is 231, Sun-thurs 31 and Friday-sat is 32. So would we need 231 + 31 + 31+31?

If you are wanting to stay at BWV at that time, you should probably budget for a garden/pool room. You will have a much better chance getting that room. Those rooms are roughly 30% more points.

From my research, I felt the same way! My group LOVES to eat! And the ease of having access to so many meal options and entertainment seemed great! But sounds like we will have a hard time getting the rooms we wanted...:scratchin
Back to the drawing board
I'm honestly surprised at all the votes for BLT over BWV. I guess one thing to consider is BLT is very close to MK, so if you have a lot of little kids and plan on spending most of your time there, BLT could be the better decision. But for a trip where you like to eat, shop, walk around, with a big group BWV is the way to go I think..also quick walks to Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

:hug:
If you are wanting to stay at BWV at that time, you should probably budget for a garden/pool room. You will have a much better chance getting that room. Those rooms are roughly 30% more points.

Yes! Thanks for the advice, I think we would be willing to pay the extra amount for the resort. and if a preferred room raises our chances than we will try that! Now to find someone who has HR BWV with points for our dates :surfweb:
This is becoming a lot more work than I realized
:hyper:

I'm honestly surprised at all the votes for BLT over BWV. I guess one thing to consider is BLT is very close to MK, so if you have a lot of little kids and plan on spending most of your time there, BLT could be the better decision. But for a trip where you like to eat, shop, walk around, with a big group BWV is the way to go I think..also quick walks to Hollywood Studios and Epcot.
I can definitely see contemporary resort as a top fave-for sure if it were just my immediate family (husband + kids) we would be there! but this particular trip includes his parents and older sisters family and geared towards their needs since they tend to view trips as eating sprees and entertainment- not really into the playful attractions. The central location is a huge factor too! Since they’re older, we don’t want to spend too much time waiting for crowded transportation! Love the walking proximity!! And still seems fun for the kids!

:hug:

Yes! Thanks for the advice, I think we would be willing to pay the extra amount for the resort. and if a preferred room raises our chances than we will try that! Now to find someone who has HR BWV with points for our dates :surfweb:
This is becoming a lot more work than I realized
:hyper:

For your first time renting, it might be worthwhile going with a points broker.

I voted BLT because I've never stayed at the other two. But, when I do rent reservations, I choose BCV over BWV, even though the points are cheaper (less points required) for BWV over BCV.

Just curious anyone buy into DVC that has a set week versus points and how does that work?

There are those who could have purchased fixed weeks at some of the resorts. CCR comes to mind. Apparently, it's a 10% premium but you have that guaranteed fixed week for the rest of the life of the contract. If you decide not to use the fixed week, you get the points that can be used elsewhere. But, if you plan to vacation the same week every year, it's good to get.

For your first time renting, it might be worthwhile going with a points broker.

I voted BLT because I've never stayed at the other two. But, when I do rent reservations, I choose BCV over BWV, even though the points are cheaper (less points required) for BWV over BCV.

Do you think a broker has higher chance of getting what we want? I am totally open to using David’s or similar, but it’s hard to see if I could let a private rentiNG option pass by. If that makes sense.

Also, I’m open to BCV as well. I don’t see what is so great about GFV even though the price and demand are so high there. Which is what I compared BCV to. Do you find it easier to get bookings for BCV? Is that why you prefer over BWV (or GFV)?

Do you think a broker has higher chance of getting what we want? I am totally open to using David’s or similar, but it’s hard to see if I could let a private rentiNG option pass by. If that makes sense.

Also, I’m open to BCV as well. I don’t see what is so great about GFV even though the price and demand are so high there. Which is what I compared BCV to. Do you find it easier to get bookings for BCV? Is that why you prefer over BWV (or GFV)?

I prefer BCV for Stormalong Bay....there's something about coming out of the clown's mouth at the clown pool that puts me off....my must do at any resort is to go into all the pools :) The person I rent from owns at both BWV and BCV and I always choose BCV.

As the others have said above, DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY PRIVATE MESSAGE OFFERING YOU POINTS FOR RENT. I have found owners on the RTB of this forum and another (the private person I rent from is no longer active on this board, but we keep in contact privately). Originally, I had planned to go with David's or another timeshare rental person but found owners through here, another forum, and also eBay (yeah, surprisingly, that was the first person I rented through).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter