How many times do you use

I don't know. We hang towels to dry between showers so we keep using them until whenever each person decides to pitch it into the towel hamper and take a clean towel. When the towel hamper gets full I throw them all in the washer- at a guess I'd say we will go a week or two before changing out towels. Same with sheets. DD23 was responsible for changing her sheets since she started high school; now that she's moved out, the sheets in her room get changed after she's been here to visit a couple of times (she comes for a weekend about once a month) or if someone else comes to visit. DH changes the sheets on our bed... not sure how frequently he does this as I don't sleep under the sheets (too hot for me, LOL!) so I never know what sheets are on the bed!

I'm the only one who knows how to hang my towel up in the bathroom(DH hangs his in the bedroom) and then the kids use mine, instead of just getting a clean one :confused:, and leave it in a wet heap outside of the hamper...

So once.

We use them 3-4 times before getting a fresh towel, always hang them on the shower rod to dry. We use a fresh washcloth each time though.

Towels are being washed as a type! There are a couple towel hangers next to the shower to dry them out. With that, I'd say a towel will go a week or so before being washed.

Once. I'm one of "those" people.

WE have 4 adults and I toddler in the house. CLEAN towels are hung ALWAYS, and that goes for hand towels too. When I see they've been used, it's replaced.
If it's ever me and DH left residing, 2 uses would be my limit.

WE have 4 adults and I toddler in the house. CLEAN towels are hung ALWAYS, and that goes for hand towels too. When I see they've been used, it's replaced.
If it's ever me and DH left residing, 2 uses would be my limit.

What? I am not knocking anyone who uses more than once! My dh does! I even said "those" people on quotes because I know I'm not the normal one. Idk if I'm reading your post as you intended, but it seems like you think I am judging anyone who uses more than once. Not true.

I only use once because -- 1. I'm too lazy to watch how I dry myself off. I don't want to wipe my face with the same part of the towel I used yesterday to wipe my bum. And 2. I use one towel for body/hair. My hair is up in towel while I apply makeup. The towel will get foundation on it from time to time.

I wash the bath towels when I deep clean the bathroom, which is on my days off or my late night days. It comes out to once every fourth or fifth day.
I feel like washing too often makes them thin and threadbare faster and since we're clean when we use them, why spped the wearing process on them?

We use our shower towels 3 or 4 times before they get washed. In the summer, we will wash them more frequently.
My swim towel will go for the entire week before I wash it. I do use one of the gym towels after I swim, but my own after I shower.
All towels are hung and we live in a dry climate. When we visit a humid climate we use more towels.

I do laundry once a week. Husband and kids are free to swap out their towels as often as they like, but usually I pull them off the racks to wash (so they are using one all week). I probably use mine for 3 days.

I do think there's a difference depending on humidity. In our previous house we had coal heat running 7 months a year and the towels dried very quickly. But I remember being a kid in FL and we went through more towels because they didn't dry thoroughly enough between uses.

Downy Unstoppables are even making it hard to wait very long in between sheet washings now. While the scent lasts several weeks, it starts to taper off and I start craving the smell in a really bad way. It helps me sleep!
Have you tried febreze between washes? My one daughter has used it on her bedding regularly since she was little. She has always been very particular about cleanliness and scent. (The rest of us use it, but we don't "need" to use it to sleep.)

Changing the pillowcases daily also makes a big difference.

Me-every other use
DH-let's just say he goes longer
kids-twice a week, or every 3 days or so

What? I am not knocking anyone who uses more than once! My dh does! I even said "those" people on quotes because I know I'm not the normal one. Idk if I'm reading your post as you intended, but it seems like you think I am judging anyone who uses more than once. Not true.

LOL, I don't have a clue what you're thinking, that's ok!

I wash the bath towels when I deep clean the bathroom, which is on my days off or my late night days. It comes out to once every fourth or fifth day.
I feel like washing too often makes them thin and threadbare faster and since we're clean when we use them, why spped the wearing process on them?
Because I am not wiping my face with a towel that wiped my crotch 24 hours earlier.

3 or 4 times before changing towels.

As a teen I'd use two towels daily, body and hair. I quickly stopped when I went to college and realized I would have to pay to do laundry. Suddenly two towels a day didn't seem necessary.

DH would leave his towel on the rack forever unless I changed it.

@Forevermarypoppins,

:confused3 I couldn't figure out why you quoted me? Usually it's to agree or counterpoint. My only reasoning was that in your response you emphasized a few words in CAPS to defend why you reuse towels.

That's the one thing with forums, hard to read inflection. I thought in some way my response irritated you. I was lost, and still am! :p

Last edited:
DH & I both grew up w/ very thrify, money-conscious moms who would NEVER dream of throwing a towel in the laundry after just one use.

So now I simply can't imagine getting a new towel each time I shower.

When we get out of the shower, we're clean. We hang our towels up, & they dry.

DH & I share 2 towels in our bathroom - he just uses one, but I use one for my body & one for my hair. And, no, I don't mind sharing towels w/ my DH.

The kids each have a towel in their bathroom - well, lots of times, the boys end up w/ towels thrown around in their bedroom, so they end up getting a new towel each time.

We have a mix of towel colors - beige, light blue, dark blue, & white, & no one color is assigned to one person.

Anyway, towels are normally washed once a week, &, most of time, the towels usually get at least 3-4 uses before they're thrown in the laundry.

And I'm always fine w/ getting fresh towels every other day when we stay in hotels w/ the little "conservation" notes about the towels.

It's funny... I'm a germ-a-phobe when it comes to a lot of things, but I'm not when it comes to our family towel frequency.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter