How much better are both Port Orleans Resorts than the value resorts....

For us the difference was the bed size/noise level/ and ambiance. We did an unintentional split stay (I got sick and we had to add days to our trip) one time with All-Stars Movies and POFQ. It made the differences very noticeable. We did think All-Stars was cute and would be fun for a family or for just the two of us on a budget trip, but the double beds, the animation stuff, the kid-like wall-papers, and decor, and the constant slamming doors and kids running up and down the outside corridor made the difference for us. There was nothing wrong with it, we just preferred the quieter environment with the trees and walking paths, the slightly bigger room, and the bigger bed (didn't seem all that big until you climb into your respective double beds over at All-Star Movies and stare up at the Herby wallpaper). I think it is worth the extra money if you plan to spend any time back at your resort relaxing. That being said, if you have younger kids, they might like the more kid-like environment.

Our first stay - kids 5 and 7 - we stayed in a Lion King suite at AoA. We all loved it and the kids loved the themeing. But it was definitely busy with people always around and the food court was massive and loud.

Second stay - kids 1 year older - at POFQ. They LOVED it. They felt it was 'fancy' and liked walking around looking at the fancy signs and decorations. The spray park was being constructed, but they both said it looked really fun. They loved the slide at the pool. It was so much calmer than AoA which felt really nice after being in parks all day.

So I wouldn't say kids won't like the PO or other mod resorts. They have their own themeing, too, just not as 'loud' as the values. I can't comment on room size b/c we went from a suite (5 people that trip) to a regular room. But, with just the 3 of us at POFQ, I was thinking if DH has been along or another adult, we might have been feeling the squeeze by the end of the week. So if a value room is smaller than that, it would make me a little concerned about space. And 2 sinks was awesome - no fighting over who brushed teeth first, etc. Same time!!!

When my DD was 4 and 5 she loved all the icons at the POP. However after trying some mods and deluxes I would rather not stay at a value because of the tiny room size and the double beds. Plus everything always seemed so mobbed all the time at the POP, the buses, pools and food court. I thought the ambiance at POR was very pretty and relaxing but the buses were very busy so a lot of the time we would take a bus back to PFQ and walk to our room. We also stayed at CSR and while I didn't love the theme as much their main pool was amazing plus the buses were less crowded.

How old are the kids? Port Orleans resort are not nearly as exciting to young kids (preschool, young elementary) as some of the values/ expensive value. We stayed at the Art of Animation last trip and all the kids seemed to LOVE it. My daughter got excited about the fish and cars each time we walked to our car.

If you have an older girl, then a royal room might also be a nice experience.

When we go next year, my girls will be 11 and 7. I'm thinking the value resort will be more exciting for them.

Night and day. The higher cost is there for a good reason. The kids would appreciate a quiet pool more than the one at the values I'm guessing.

When we go next year, my girls will be 11 and 7. I'm thinking the value resort will be more exciting for them.

Would they not love a more themed pool area? One that has a slide? Would you not like a hot tub? Those are things the moderate resorts have that the values do not.

We (DH & I) used to love staying at POFQ even though it was at a higher cost, but then they let the nighttime performer, Elliot Dyson, at the Scat Cat Club go. We really didn't care for Yee-Haw Bob at POR so we didn't stay there.
We are retired and enjoyed spending our evenings listening to Elliot's performances. Since Elliot is no longer performing, we see no reason to pay a premium price for POFQ. So we stay at a value resort so we can get more trips to Disney - we usually go 4-5 times a year. We ask for a king bed and when we get one (we usually do), the room is huge.
If I want a more luxurious hotel, we stay at Royal Pacific at Universal. With an Universal AP holder rate, we pay the about the same as Port Orleans.

If you SIL is coming then you guys are 5 people which for a value only gives you the choice of ASMU family suite and AoA suite.
We stayed once in the nemo suite at AOA. this is more than a Moderate standard room, but we looooved it.. we were 5 people.. google the layout and you will see why.. 2 bath and basically almost 3 rooms. plus kitchenette. plus the nemo pool was fun.. there is no slide but my kids didnt miss it.. the theming of that pool and cars and little mermaid was pefect theming for kids.. you can also walk over to Pop too for food and checking things out..

with 5 though you can book a standard PoR and CBR room which is cheaper, but ALOT tighter..

PoR is though very beautiful and lush.. you can also pool share between the two resorts and there is the DTD boat.. in a nutshell the PoRs offer alot more.. Not sure where you guys live.. if urban etc.. and you need lush, quiet pretty. then PoR is perfect...

Values is in your face Disney and loud ( QS is like a mall food court )

:rolleyes: Ha! If DH's sister doesn't come on the trip, we probably will stay at a value resort. I'm not necessarily thinking of the money difference, just the overall vacation experience. We will be there for two weeks and plan on having break days in between.

Just now saw this... 2 weeks!! How lucky and at the same time. God Bless you!!! I would go nuts with my family ( DH and 2 kids ) in a standard hotel room for two weeks.. I dont know your budget.. but serioulsy in this case see if you can afford either the ASMU or AOA family suite..

reasons

1. more room
2 two baths
3 mini kitchen ( micro et.. I assume in 2 weeks you might be eating in room o9r brownbagging it)
4 Private bedroom ( kids can sleep, you guys can watch TV or whatever :rolleyes1)
5 two Tvs
6 you can book for only you 4 and then add your sister. If you book a standard value then you have to switch everything if she comes along.. this gives you flexibility..

but this all comes down to budget.. heck if we all could afford it wouldnt we all take a GF 2 bedroom villa!! ha ah... for two weeks.

Would they not love a more themed pool area? One that has a slide? Would you not like a hot tub? Those are things the moderate resorts have that the values do not.

I haven't thought about that much. Being in the Florida heat, I can't imagine wanting to really go in a hot tub. Does the weather cool down at all in the evening?

Queen beds vs full size beds is a big plus. 2 sinks(except CSR) vs 1, makes getting ready faster and less arguing:) The grounds all have great themes on par with the deluxes and more shaded areas then the values. Pool slide and hot tubs. At POR you have family entertainment plus surrey bike rentals, carriage rides, not to mention the boat transportation to DS. Our DDs loves the neat icons at the values but actually prefer the extra amenities at the Mods. We still have a great time the last time we stayed at Pop but if at all possible we try to stay at a Mod resort.

We had our first value experience earlier this month -Art of Animation in a Lion King suite for 4 nights. Never, ever again. I knew the first morning when 500 people were lined up to board a bus to Magic Kingdom that I didn't like it, but I didn't say anything negative to my girls. After 24 hours, my 14 year old asked if we could never stay there again as she didn't like it. Her reasons? The pool didn't have a slide or a hot tub. And she just didn't like how crowded it seemed.

Her second reason hit the nail on the head for me. Disney parks are crowded and chaotic. It feels like I am dodging people all day long. The resorts are a peaceful respite. I am able to chill out in a nice lobby, resuarant, or room. That can't happen in a value. I was never able to relax. The decor of the room was over the top. The food court was overrun with long lines for food, to pay and no clean tables to sit at. The lines for the busses were enormous. The sidewalks in the resort were always crowded. It made a difference on my outlook and on the kids as well.

Lesson learned for us! The moderates and deluxe resorts are so much quieter and tranquil, comparatively.

We've stayed in values, mods, and one deluxe. My most relaxing, peaceful vacations have been at Pop. :goodvibes And we are a family of four that stays for two weeks or more.

although someone mentioned a family suite at AOA, which we stayed in before. This is a great option, because the girls can each have their own bed and share the second bathroom. More money but it might be worth it for their own beds and the girls to have a bathroom away from the parents. It's also full of over the top theming.

Ehh at that age, you might enjoy the pace of the Mods better. The pools have more going on (Water slides!!) and you can ride the boats to Disney Springs.

Would they like the royal rooms?

I'm sure they would love them, but that would be more money, but something I'll look into. My DH is very frugal with money, not me as much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter