How much Disney is too much Disney? aka a month in Orlando with mama and baby (31 July - 29 August 2023)

choirbird

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! I’m a little late in starting this thread, but I wanted to chronicle my adventures! My husband works remotely, and I’m a teacher. We’ve been coming to WDW since my 30th birthday in 2018, and “making up for lost time” (my parents weren’t Disney people) turned into an obsession.

We’ve been at least once a year since, other than 2020 and 2022 - our son was born in July! Now that we have a baby, we decided it would be easier to stay offsite so we’d have a washer/dryer and dishwasher…and while we’re at it, let’s just get an airbnb for the month(!) and bring our dog, too.

I’m normally a min/max, optimize, pack everything into every day person at WDW but I’m hoping that being here for so long will allow me to relax and follow Henry’s pace…we’ll see how that goes! I also have a couple of disabilities and that have gotten more complex in the last couple years, especially since having a baby, so there’s no way I can keep up with my old way of doing things even with the help of DAS. I was too afraid to register in the past but I’m so glad I did this year - managing my needs AND my son’s needs put me over the edge and I wouldn’t be able to manage without it. I also have celiac disease and love coming to Disney for their allergy accommodations.

I spent July taking “field trips” with Henry around NJ - the zoo, three aquariums, Franklin Institute (they had a Disney exhibit!), Wild West City, Field Station Dinosaurs, the Natural History Museum in NYC, library story hours, Gymboree, and Music Together classes. We got lots of practice!

I also outfitted our CRV with a backseat fan (the AC isn’t strong enough back there for my liking), seat organizers that were stuffed to the brim with wipes, cheerios, portable chargers, and every one of Henry’s teethers and some new battery operated toys to keep his attention! I downloaded 28 hours of Ms Rachel and Cocomelon to the iPad. I brought my noise cancelling headphones and sat in the back! He actually did really well, only getting fussy occasionally. I suspect it may be tricky if we repeat the journey over the next couple of toddler years, but maybe once he’s in school it’ll be easier again since he’ll understand where we’re going and be able to entertain himself better.

On July 28th we set off on our grand adventure. My amazing husband did ALL the driving (seriously, I drove literally four miles in the three days we were on the road!!!) and deserves a ton of credit. We split the journey up across 3 days.

We stopped for a late lunch in Carytown, VA. It was extremely hot outside, so we ate quickly, but they brought water to our dog which was nice!

Our first overnight stop was Emporia, VA. We arrived at our airbnb which was a cute little mid century house - kind of in the middle of nowhere, but convenient to 95 - the primary bedroom had records on the walls and a pink bathroom with black fixtures. They leaned into the “vintage” theme but added Wi-Fi and AC, so we were happy.

I picked up a couple groceries - I was pleased with my cooler bag keeping our drinks cold all day! and we went straight to bed. I was amused by the local fast food offerings (Zaxby’s, Bojangles, Hardee’s, and Waffle House are all new to me!) but sadly none can accommodate my gluten free needs so we stuck with rations from the Food Lion.

On day two of our road trip, we left early in the morning en route to Savannah. We stopped at the famous Buc-ee’s in SC but I found it extremely overwhelming. I wasn’t prepared for the wall-to-wall crowds of people and lack of order! I didn’t think the wait and chaos were worth it, since again I didn’t know if I could eat the food, so we stopped at Wendy’s for lettuce wrapped burgers and fries - thankfully I wasn’t glutened - and headed on our way.
Our airbnb this night was a cute home on Price St (near Henry St! we got a picture). We had dinner at a place nearby but someone at a nearby table was choking*! Thankfully a different party called 911 and they sent help very quickly and all was fine.

*to be technical, she seemed to have some kind of esophageal obstruction, as she was able to breathe…my husband had a similar thing happen a couple years ago and had to be put under and “scoped” to push the steak out…yikes!

We didn’t have much of an appetite for dinner after that, but at no fault of the restaurant or the diner. We stopped for ice cream later at the famous Leopold’s! I wish we had time to see more of Savannah - the trolley tours, ghost tours, and prohibition museum in particular looked cool (and I didn’t research much since I knew we’d be leaving) and we’ll need to return.

Before heading out on Day 3, we had breakfast at The Collins Quarter in Forsyth Park. I wanted to see the famous trees and have some breakfast, too! The meal was tasty but they didn’t have as many GF options as their website indicated.

We drove straight through on this day, eager to arrive at our destination, only stopping for coffee in Jacksonville. We arrived at our airbnb in Kissimmee at 2:15, and the host graciously allowed us to check in 45 mins early. Yay!

This airbnb is GREAT so far. There is a jetted tub in the primary bedroom, a desk with a “Rollie chair” for my husband to work, washer/dryer, dishwasher, a pack n play, good air conditioning, and decent storage space. We haven’t been able to hook up the TV to the Wi-Fi yet, but that’s not a huge deal for us - it would be nice to stream YouTube occasionally, but our phones work just fine. We haven’t used the on-site pool yet but there are a few of those.

I will say that the tub is extremely deep - anyone shorter or less mobile than me (5’6”) is likely to have a hard time, and the easiest way to bathe a baby is to hop in with them. If I were here solo, I would need to bring a baby bath or use the shower, but thankfully my husband can handle bathtime while we’re here!

Once we got somewhat unpacked, we headed to Disney Springs to get our APs and have dinner at Raglan Road. I had the pear cider and GF fish & chips with onion rings - all DELICIOUS! My husband had some sort of beef sandwich that our server recommended; I was a bit too overstimulated to pay attention but he enjoyed his meal. Henry was “over it” from the long drive but we enjoyed a couple of songs and dances before heading out.

We got our AP cards, I added photo pass to mine, and we picked up a couple of the newfangled MagicBand+s. I’m a little salty that they used to be free (at least with a hotel stay), and that we have to charge them, but I might as well get to use the features while I’m here so long. I got one with Orange Bird and DH got the “Disney Dad” one. They didn’t have “Disney Mom”, oh well.

I am SO grateful that my husband’s job and my work schedule allow for us to travel for so long (albeit ONLY when Florida is hotter than the surface of the sun…), and that my DH is willing to indulge my passion for WDW!

Next up, Day 4: The Magic Kingdom!

Day 4: First Day at the MK (and bonus Epcot)

Monday (7/31) was the last day DH properly took off from work - he’ll be taking some time off at the end of the month as well, mainly to drive back, but he is fortunate to be able to work off-hours so he can join us in the parks occasionally and on weekends. BUT he wanted to be there for Henry’s first day in the Magic Kingdom!

We parked at the TTC and boarded the second ferryboat to arrive after 9 (I’m not sure how early they begin running these days); it was a good balance between avoiding the proper rope drop chaos and getting there early enough to be low-ish crowds. We headed straight to Dumbo for Henry’s first ever Disney ride! I think he liked it, or was neutral-leaning positive. I’ll take it.

Our second ride was Small World - this one was special to my husband’s family - and I think he liked it better. He held DH’s hand the whole time - precious!! Then it was naptime, so he slept in the carrier on Daddy in the Emporium while I snuck off to ride Space Mountain and 7DMT. Space was a long wait in crowds, but I did okay with my noise cancelling headphones. I’m not sure if they have single rider available. I got to witness a 6.5yo’s first ride on 7DMT (his first coaster at all!) and that was special. I guess we have a few years to go before those rides…(although technically he’s tall enough for Aliens, but it would be too rough for him)

We had lunch at Skipper Canteen - the cheese bread and “tastes like chicken” were great as always. DH liked the Dan Dan Noodles, and Henry tried a bit of everything. We also tried out the adhesive placemats I brought, and they seem to be helpful.

After lunch, we were going to head out of the park, but we got “parade trapped”, and I’m glad we did! Henry LOVED the parade. He was clapping and happy-shrieking and smiling a lot :) I definitely teared up a bit. We met Mickey on the way out, and Henry wasn’t scared at all like I’d expected…he was more interested in Mickey’s nose I think.

After heading back for a nap, we went to Epcot for the late afternoon/early evening. In retrospect, this was a bit of a mistake, as H isn’t used to being up until 9, and he got a bit fussy near the end. I also ended up walking just under 25,000 steps which hurt my body quite a bit. I get too intense at Disney!! This is what I mean by “pacing myself”…

We rode Nemo, and Henry LOVED exploring The Seas pavilion with Daddy while I rode Soarin’ (one of my favorites). We all rode Figment, and I was happy that the “blast” didn’t bother him. We finished the night out with Remy, by which time he was getting fussy and I felt a little selfish for dragging him on “just one more ride”…but he forgave me pretty quickly :)

Remy was OK but I don’t love the screen based attractions, and the 3D “things flying at your face” trope really disturbs my sensory sensitivities…so it’s a one and done, or once a year, type thing for me. We’ll see. I usually do better when I know exactly what to expect (ie, the smells and “screen wipes” during Soarin, the drops during FOP) so I might like it later.

I had the citron slush from France and we shared the PBJ and orange cardamom wings from Brewing. I liked both flavors and would potentially eat them again, even though I’m more of a peanut butter person than a jelly person. I miss the pink slush from France but I could be confusing that with the Flower & Garden one…that’s one of the only alcoholic drinks I’ve made a point to recreate at home!

Up Next: Day 5, Solo Parenting at DAK and Solo Riding at DHS

Attachments

• 94419FF1-1360-4207-A1CD-E203015969D8.jpeg
    94419FF1-1360-4207-A1CD-E203015969D8.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 88

Hey folks! Sorry to leave y’all hanging for a few days, but we’ve been doing and seeing quite a bit!

Day 5: Solo Parenting at DAK and Solo Riding at DHS (August 1)

Tuesday was DH’s first day back at work, so it was off on a mama & baby adventure to Animal Kingdom. Since I wasn’t going to be rope dropping FOP like I used to, I decided to take things fairly slow. This park is so beautiful and I love checking out the little details hidden everywhere.

I had been too excited/busy to remember to eat breakfast at the airbnb, so we grabbed some overnight oats. I’m glad DAK has this gluten free quick service option! It was surprisingly tasty, and Henry agreed with me. We hopped in line for the Safari, which I rode with H in the carrier. Thankfully he fell asleep near the end of the ride, and we sat in the shade of Pandora waiting for our NRJ return time.

Henry LOVED Navi River Journey, but it’s so short!! It is tricky for me to step down into the boats, especially wearing the carrier, but we made it and I’m glad he was able to see this ride.

We mobile ordered a chicken bowl at Satuli canteen for lunch, and he really liked the chicken! I didn’t love the potato base, but the chicken and herb sauces were excellent. Maybe next time we’ll try the rice.

It was then time for Festival of the Lion King. Henry seemed to enjoy the show, particularly the music, but he got a bit squirmy near the end. He’s just getting good at standing independently/gearing up to “cruising” and wanted to work on that. We met a nice family from London - WDW is one of the only places where my social anxiety is lessened; I have something in common with many people visiting and can chat to people in line more freely than I would in “the real world”.
We shared a dole whip (he found it a bit tart and made the “sour baby face” but then asked me for more) and headed home. DH was on duty for afternoon nap time, during which I went on a Target pickup run, registered my car with the complex clubhouse, and took a long bath.

DHS

I arrived at about 5, had a frozen lemonade (not as good as I’d hoped - too sweet) and went on Star Tours. My goal was to do things that Henry can’t do.

After Star Tours, I hopped in the single rider line for Smuggler’s Run. The line was SO short! I met another single rider named Tanya who was also a mom, and her husband was staying back with their daughter. The single rider line went so fast that rider swap wasn’t necessary, and we were both pilots. I actually prefer engineer, but it felt like less pressure with us both being new/bad at flying and it was a fun girl power experience. We crashed terribly but had a lot of fun.

I mobile ordered from DB7: the “ronto wrap without the wrap”, and to my surprise, it came with a gluten free pita! I even checked with the chef just to be safe. Delicious!

It was time for Slinky Dog, but the ride went down, so my DAS got converted to a multiple experiences pass. I was a little worried and waited 20 mins for it to convert bc it disappears and reappears sometimes. I went on Aliens but had to wait a while (30 mins or so) and felt sick in the heat. I need to get used to “doing nothing” in the AC and not stressing so much about wasting time! I’m used to only being here for a few days, not a few weeks!

I had booked an ILL for Rise so I did that, still a great ride and probably worth the $$.

Went back to Slinky Dog, which is one of my favorite rides in all of WDW…and finished the night with MMRR, which doesn’t have a height requirement but is a bit loud and jerky for my little guy…we’ll see.

Delightfully no traffic on the way home and 19,000 steps.

Day 6: Lazy Morning, Chef Mickey’s, and MK

My feet were so painful that I was woken up in the night(!) so I forced myself to stay home in the morning. H and I played with his toys and watched Ms. Rachel before his morning nap, and Daddy had some meetings and finished his work for the week.

On a whim, we made a 12:15 Chef Mickey’s reservation. Henry was excited to meet Mickey (I’m not sure whether he recognized him or just liked his giant eyes) and was reaching and squealing for all the characters. The food was good - we had only dined here in 2021 so we hadn’t experienced the buffet, but I really liked the cheesy potatoes. They brought me an allergy platter as well, which I snuck into my ziploc bag :) We also tried the cold brew, which was overly sweet, more latte like?

After lunch, Daddy went back to work and we rode the monorail to Magic Kingdom. I was relieved to not need to fold the stroller, and very proud to see that Henry *loved* the Mary Blair mural!!

We started off with the Enchanted Tiki room, and then I went to Liberty Square to get Henry’s silhouette done - a special souvenir I had wanted for a while, and really not too expensive! We boarded the Liberty Belle (something I hadn’t done yet) and I finally got him to fall asleep in the carrier despite the oppressive heat. I wished I could have heard the narration, but a group of people were speaking loudly next to me the whole time, so I missed it.

We finished nap time with a ride on the Haunted Mansion, and I was thrilled to find a bench close to the Hub where we could have a bottle and listen to the castle show. We fit in a ride on Pirates, and then Daddy came to pick us up! Mama snuck off to ride Big Thunder and then we took the monorail back to the TTC and drove home. 14,000 steps.

Attachments

• A79BDBB9-E327-416A-B4F1-AB23E0C85356.jpeg
    A79BDBB9-E327-416A-B4F1-AB23E0C85356.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 4C04CBEA-1E1A-4C6C-83BB-EFB32181986A.jpeg
    4C04CBEA-1E1A-4C6C-83BB-EFB32181986A.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 91

Day 7: Mama/Baby Epcot Morning & more Solo DHS

After a parking lot diaper & outfit change, we headed to Spaceship Earth, which was posted 35 but took about 15. H snoozed in the carrier so I got a bit of AC in the Project Tomorrow area. There’s a good bench behind the ECV parking, but I was worried the backing-up-beeps would wake him so I got up, bought the Remy scavenger hunt map, and walked to Mexico. He woke up on Gran Fiesta Tour, which was pretty difficult to board with him in the carrier, but still one of my favorites.

Later, we went on Frozen, and he LOVED seeing Olaf! He squealed and waved!

We found Remy at the Refreshment Outpost without really trying, and went to Regal Eagle for lunch. It was very crowded and a bit of a long wait. I had the BBQ burger and H ate the brisket! We listened to the end of the Voices of Liberty set, and went one one more round of Frozen before heading home.
I took a bath and headed out for a solo DHS night. I decided to buy Genie+ to see if it would really be helpful, and was happy to book MMRR and ROR from the bathtub lol.

I arrived at the park shortly before 5, booked a DAS return for SDD (6:25) and looked around One Man’s Dream until my 5:25 MMRR time. MMRR is a bit too loud and jerky to bring my son, I think, even though there’s no height requirement…we’ll see.

I booked a lightning lane for TMM, which I discovered would also be too rough for my son - he’s 12mo but I don’t think he’d be okay sitting on his own with all the spinning. We’ve been lap sitting/carrier wearing him even though he’s at least 25 lbs and 32 inches!
I got somewhere in the 170k range - I’m not great at this game, but my goal for the month is to get the “bird” instead of my usual “beaver” ranking.

I rode SDD which I think is my favorite ride across the parks! and headed to my dining reservation at Mama Melrose, which I had never tried before.
I checked in as early as possible at 6:45 for a 7:05 reservation, but I wasn’t seated until 7:20 and my order wasn’t taken until 7:30…oof. I had the Moscow mule (very good!), allergy friendly rolls with the seasoned oil (good) and the carne d’italia flatbread. I remembered to take photos this time! It wasn’t bad, but I saved 2/3 for leftovers - DH will appreciate.
I rode Rise and headed to Fantasmic. I was one of the last people to enter the theater, so I was on the far right side on the end. I need that preshow playlist! It was a good show (am I right in thinking it changed a bit since 2018? Frozen 2 and Encanto clips were obviously new, but the ending seemed different too). 18,700 steps.

Attachments

• 915655C6-DC4D-4D17-8B29-D72B41688BCB.jpeg
    915655C6-DC4D-4D17-8B29-D72B41688BCB.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 939B5939-0CDB-4C4E-BF5A-7CDEB6F8E095.jpeg
    939B5939-0CDB-4C4E-BF5A-7CDEB6F8E095.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 40
Day 8: Guardians, Topolino’s Breakfast, and Monsieur Paul!!

DH didn’t have any meetings on this day, so we all went to Epcot shortly after 9 to ride Guardians. We also got an 11:30 reservation for Topolino’s. I’m glad we had a plan to do one attraction and leave the park, because between security and the tapstiles it took a full hour to enter the park!! I really seem to have a knack for standing behind the folks who forget to make park reservations or which finger they used.

We both rode GOTG - DH had “Disco Inferno” and I got “I Ran”. He said it made him a little sick (row 3) and I liked it a lot (row 2). I definitely want to ride again this trip! He probably won’t, but that’s ok. It wasn’t anywhere near as bad as Forbidden Journey for the record, which we agree is aptly named, as it should be illegal. (I’ve heard it was much worse at one time, I can’t even imagine!!)
It was time to go to our lunch reservation at Topolino’s. I was nervous because the online menu didn’t have a lot of gluten free options, but our server Michael was awesome and pointed out that they have an allergy friendly waffle too. It was delicious and tasted of orange zest. They also brought us an allergen friendly pail of pastries - it was two small cookies, a blueberry muffin and a cinnamon donut. They were just OK. I long for the day they make a good GF croissant!!

The characters here were *excellent* and really took a lot of time with Henry even though he’s so little and doesn’t really understand what’s going on. Daisy in particular stayed for a long time playing peekaboo and giving high fives and just vibing.
DH had a work call so we hung out in the waiting area outside Topolino’s, which was empty since the restaurant had closed. We practiced standing, watched some Ms. Rachel, ate puffs, and waved at the janitorial staff.

I went out for a solo evening at Epcot and got the virtual queue for GOTG. They predicted it would be called at 6:05 and it was called at 5:56. I had time to fit in Soarin’ beforehand, which is one of my favorite rides, but I did look down at the floor this time and was grateful to be in row 3 haha! One day I want to take the “behind the scenes” tour at Disneyland and see how everything works.

I walked all the way over to GOTG, but the queue was at a standstill outside. I’m not sure why they bothered calling my boarding group. It appeared to be uncovered and very hot, and I just couldn’t risk missing my dining reservation!

I arrived at the France pavilion shortly before my 7:15 reservation time and checked in at Monsieur Paul. The two ladies in front of me spoke to the CM in French(!) so I was a bit intimidated as well as impressed. My server, Aurore, greeted me in the (small - maybe room for 2 or 3 parties) lobby and escorted me up the spiral staircase.

I was seated across from a window - not AT the window, but I also didn’t ask (and as a solo diner I understand maybe not being placed there since you could seat 4 people at each table).

My server was very nice and friendly. We started with a champagne - I was surprised, at nearly 35, to be carded! - and amuse bouche. The amuse bouche was a trio of…pastes? I don’t know the word haha, they were more appetizing than I made them sound. One was an olive tapanade in a tiny tomato that was DIVINE. Another was a tuna-mayonnaise blend, which I liked as well. The third was something green and celery-ish, paired with a tiny oval of turkey. I didn’t love that one.

I ordered the escargot, scallops, and filet upon recommendations from my server; she did an excellent job of talking me through the menu and explaining her favorites.

The escargot was herbaceous and “buried” in a green watercress potato tomato mixture that kind of helped first timers like me forget what they were eating lol! I was worried about the texture going in, but it’s not nearly as chewy as calamari. I ate them all!

One of the other servers remembered a couple that were dining, and came over to greet them. It’s definitely a special place for locals, although I believe I overheard that they’re leaving on a cruise tomorrow so maybe they’re just here as a send off!

I was brought some gluten free bread and butter, which wasn’t bad, but I tried not to eat it all just to save room!!

The scallops were honestly one of the most incredible things I’ve ever eaten! The butternut squash puree was delightfully maple-y and sweet without being overpowering and the scallops were cooked absolutely perfectly. I may die now.

Next was the pear sorbet, which came with pear brandy made by growing pears in the bottle (they tie the bottles to the tree)! I’m not explaining this well but it was really cool.

The filet was perfectly cooked but the real star was the mashed potatoes, so much butter and cream!
The cheese course was good - brie, comte, goat cheese w herbs and blue. I don’t like blue cheese but the other 3 were delicious along with the fig jam and some grapes.

My dessert was a meringue with sorbet and that was tasty as well. I’m surprised I was able to eat it all! Maybe next time I’ll try V&A, haha.

I was able to take some nice shots on the way out of Epcot.

Attachments

• 3BFAFCB4-B8DA-48A8-BDB1-6061EAB02518.jpeg
    3BFAFCB4-B8DA-48A8-BDB1-6061EAB02518.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 18898220-9AAF-4F0B-A949-F6415340928B.jpeg
    18898220-9AAF-4F0B-A949-F6415340928B.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 25
  • C6A8B71B-AD69-4A5E-8DBB-198EA48CAF84.jpeg
    C6A8B71B-AD69-4A5E-8DBB-198EA48CAF84.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 25BEA080-309B-49B9-A872-C3D27DA065D1.jpeg
    25BEA080-309B-49B9-A872-C3D27DA065D1.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 19
  • A114893C-73D9-4F6A-AE3E-F7DDBD0E1E7F.jpeg
    A114893C-73D9-4F6A-AE3E-F7DDBD0E1E7F.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 16
  • D6C85891-E234-41A4-AE9E-BB6CF1F32028.jpeg
    D6C85891-E234-41A4-AE9E-BB6CF1F32028.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 3780BFA6-2F95-4F25-9613-F98F2F036212.jpeg
    3780BFA6-2F95-4F25-9613-F98F2F036212.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 15
  • EDA3B804-DFE0-4465-B7C9-7C5A5505908E.jpeg
    EDA3B804-DFE0-4465-B7C9-7C5A5505908E.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 13
  • C6391F4D-0960-44FC-B612-AA42CDFEF50D.jpeg
    C6391F4D-0960-44FC-B612-AA42CDFEF50D.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 27
Day 9: Family Time at the Magic Kingdom

We had a bit of a late start and arrived at the TTC at about 10:30 for our 11:25 Tron. Daddy rode first, and Mama and baby went on the Carousel of Progress.

I chose the accessible car, which is in the back row, because I felt anxious about making everyone wait for me to fit into the motorcycle…I have wide calves and I’ve heard it can be tricky or even cause bruises. Looking at the vehicle I think I *could* fit but I didn’t want to hold everything up. The first launch felt REALLY strong to me, again probably because I was sitting upright in the last row. I might try it again but I didn’t find it enjoyable (or long) enough to plan my day around.

We all went on the Haunted Mansion, and then had a lunch at Columbia Harbor House. The frozen lemonade here was the one I wanted Dockside Diner to have!

Next we rode Under the Sea with Ariel - I think this ride is underrated, and Henry loved it, especially the waterfall outside and the music inside. We got a BIG smile on Winnie the Pooh. It started pouring, so we ducked into Mickey’s Philharmagic. Henry loved the music and chewing on the glasses; I could do without the puffs of air in my face, but I enjoyed the new-to-me scenes.

Our last ride of the day was Small World - it was even more of a hit with the little guy than the last time! It’s great to enjoy the slower pace of the parks through his eyes.

We snagged a last minute reservation for Storybook Dining at Artist Point and hopped on the resort launch boat to Wilderness Lodge (my favorite resort - I hope to stay there one day!)

I ordered the prime rib and DH had the stroganoff. I expected his dish to come with noodles, but it was small pieces of pasta. The prime rib was good, as were the mashed potatoes. The appetizers and dessert were just okay. It was nice to have a different style of cuisine, it just isn’t my favorite (especially for a hot day). The service and character experiences were excellent. Snow White was delightful, and Dopey in particular have Henry a LOT of special interaction. It was really sweet. Grumpy was good too! We skipped out on meeting the Queen because Henry had had enough and we had a long journey home - two boats, a parking tram, and a drive back plus an INSANE security line to get back into our complex. We love our Airbnb but they manually check license plates every time. We’re staying for a month and it’s too bad they couldn’t give us the resident “clicker”…

Attachments

• FA90DDA0-88D0-44D0-93D3-60B713CC02E9.jpeg
    FA90DDA0-88D0-44D0-93D3-60B713CC02E9.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 3D7D690F-E662-4042-9649-03154EFE8F1B.jpeg
    3D7D690F-E662-4042-9649-03154EFE8F1B.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 36532C51-C50F-4426-9231-D88B0DE04C06.jpeg
    36532C51-C50F-4426-9231-D88B0DE04C06.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 338FBAE5-4DC2-43CD-8577-4E35FA0DDE06.jpeg
    338FBAE5-4DC2-43CD-8577-4E35FA0DDE06.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 26903F77-7332-438D-942B-CE982D8D9DE1.jpeg
    26903F77-7332-438D-942B-CE982D8D9DE1.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 74E3E7BF-1373-49BD-B739-EC30FB19318B.jpeg
    74E3E7BF-1373-49BD-B739-EC30FB19318B.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 667FDF0D-1983-4341-B7DE-B295E3EF4087.jpeg
    667FDF0D-1983-4341-B7DE-B295E3EF4087.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 70EB7F3C-73E5-4925-8600-11B60B50A685.jpeg
    70EB7F3C-73E5-4925-8600-11B60B50A685.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 67A59A2D-F6C6-43E2-A38D-4D02373B1662.jpeg
    67A59A2D-F6C6-43E2-A38D-4D02373B1662.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 7A9AEE03-70D0-4085-82BB-DA62255CDF0E.jpeg
    7A9AEE03-70D0-4085-82BB-DA62255CDF0E.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Bonus photos that didn’t fit the above post

Attachments

• 042D28F6-B93B-4F8A-90B2-32AAC4086A40.jpeg
    042D28F6-B93B-4F8A-90B2-32AAC4086A40.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 02B45290-80C8-4435-9D5E-FF38EFC6327E.jpeg
    02B45290-80C8-4435-9D5E-FF38EFC6327E.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 54
  • CABA31A5-4333-4C3E-8E72-DA2F88CCD3C9.jpeg
    CABA31A5-4333-4C3E-8E72-DA2F88CCD3C9.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 8891243B-D6F0-41C9-B898-268DBCE8EB81.jpeg
    8891243B-D6F0-41C9-B898-268DBCE8EB81.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 50
  • F6CD5B96-B8D4-4A2A-B2C7-D794EE20D91D.jpeg
    F6CD5B96-B8D4-4A2A-B2C7-D794EE20D91D.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 85E7FBA0-58DB-44EA-A057-CB820B8BFBF0.jpeg
    85E7FBA0-58DB-44EA-A057-CB820B8BFBF0.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 2CAD4B13-50F6-46FE-93DC-D6E313692978.jpeg
    2CAD4B13-50F6-46FE-93DC-D6E313692978.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 58DBFD26-A56D-47EA-B25D-263127591D16.jpeg
    58DBFD26-A56D-47EA-B25D-263127591D16.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 3ED70159-2EE9-43CC-B0E7-7CF16D219E0B.jpeg
    3ED70159-2EE9-43CC-B0E7-7CF16D219E0B.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 34
Day 10: #konamazing

We had planned to go to DHS but I finally caved and decided I needed a break. We slept in, went to Publix, and made sure Henry got both naps in his crib. We got a 5:05 reservation for Kona Cafe and headed to the Polynesian.
Henry really loved the waterfall and colorful lights, but definitely didn’t want to sit in his high chair so DH held him for most of the meal (until we got him to sit in the booth in between us and play with my sunglasses). They brought allergy friendly rolls (decent), and we ordered the glazed chicken wings, spicy tuna roll, short rib, and a side of mashed potatoes.
DH thought the short rib was really good, and I agreed with Brandon of Gluten Free Dairy Free WDW that the mashed potatoes were “#konamazing”.
We perused Boutiki and DH bought a pair of Mickey socks - he has a knack for wearing holes in the toes of his socks!! and headed out to the beach. It was humid enough to fog up my glasses, and Henry was doing “sleepy eyes”, so we headed home.

Attachments

• 132EB2F6-8E0F-43BA-839B-DECC1D8E4C52.jpeg
    132EB2F6-8E0F-43BA-839B-DECC1D8E4C52.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 46979AA3-825F-480F-999D-1CAE8FEA410E.jpeg
    46979AA3-825F-480F-999D-1CAE8FEA410E.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 9EB5DDF9-E946-4738-A542-0969C02F1DC7.jpeg
    9EB5DDF9-E946-4738-A542-0969C02F1DC7.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 409B133D-163D-4C9D-BDB2-0251FDD2073A.jpeg
    409B133D-163D-4C9D-BDB2-0251FDD2073A.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 658374FB-E12F-45EC-8153-CD9CA9343F57.jpeg
    658374FB-E12F-45EC-8153-CD9CA9343F57.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 24
  • C3875281-2CBA-4198-8276-19D2C106E50A.jpeg
    C3875281-2CBA-4198-8276-19D2C106E50A.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 36
  • 7EBC8C17-FCE9-4C7C-9BBB-9361301AA39E.jpeg
    7EBC8C17-FCE9-4C7C-9BBB-9361301AA39E.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 49AB08E3-CEA6-47C7-A753-E338340BD86E.jpeg
    49AB08E3-CEA6-47C7-A753-E338340BD86E.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 9D86F4AE-1F96-4AF9-96C7-9267AE59DC38.jpeg
    9D86F4AE-1F96-4AF9-96C7-9267AE59DC38.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 40
Day 10: Nomad and Nopin’ Out on the Heat

Little boy and I went to DAK, which is so fun for babies.We had a fabulous nap on the safari again, and the line wasn’t long despite arriving at 9 (DAK opened at 8). Henry napped in the carrier while I strolled through a couple of the shops and had a Night Blossom - I couldn’t finish it though because it’s so sweet! When he woke up, we went on NRJ and he loved the lights.
We booked a return time for the Nemo show but had an hour to kill so we hopped into Nomad Lounge. It’s early for me to drink, but I couldn’t pass up the chance for a Leaping Lizard, which was my introduction to Luxardo cherries. The app said there wasn’t room on the walk up list, but I’m glad I checked anyway because there were only 8 people inside and a few outside.

I ordered the gluten free churros and smoked pork ribs. Henry loved the pork ribs and seemed to think the cinnamon on the churros was “spicy”, haha. We had lots of practice standing and looking at other babies out the window!

We headed to the 12:00 Nemo showing but sadly it was canceled, so we rode Triceratops Spin instead. Henry had a blast, giggling and flapping his hands to the Duck Tales theme! We browsed the shop in Dinoland but I was disappointed to discover that Chester & Hester’s is generic “everywhere” merch now and not Dino-specific.
We stopped in Restaurantosaurus and were pixie dusted with a free bottled water and fountain drink :) we hadn’t really been waiting long but I guess the folks next to us had been impatient and the CM was being nice!
We headed home for nap time and spotted Kevin on our way out, at whom Henry smiled really big :D
After nap time, all 3 of us headed to DHS in attempts to get Daddy on the Star Wars rides. We had grand plans to watch Beauty & the Beast, send DH on Smuggler’s, and take turns on Rise…but the actual temp was 100 at 5:00, it hadn’t rained, and I’m sure the “feels like” was over 110. It was awful. We left about 2/3 through the show and went home!

Attachments

• 3AB80781-F45A-45A9-AB76-4F4EECFF3A3D.jpeg
    3AB80781-F45A-45A9-AB76-4F4EECFF3A3D.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 31
  • 068DEE4E-DAED-4D1F-A614-F256E07FA76F.jpeg
    068DEE4E-DAED-4D1F-A614-F256E07FA76F.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 22
  • FB03454C-6B9D-49DE-BE5A-70E39541B70B.jpeg
    FB03454C-6B9D-49DE-BE5A-70E39541B70B.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 8F2F9730-46B0-44EB-9614-699E6DAEB13E.jpeg
    8F2F9730-46B0-44EB-9614-699E6DAEB13E.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 19
  • F82FC592-0627-4436-915C-78B8283BA5FC.jpeg
    F82FC592-0627-4436-915C-78B8283BA5FC.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 25
Day 11: Epcot (Nearly) Open to Close

We (mama and baby) arrived at Epcot at about 9:30 and attempted to have a nap on Spaceship Earth, but alas, Henry resisted his nap until 1:20!! In the meantime we walked halfway around World Showcase, rode Gran Fiesta Tour, bought a mister fan, found the Remy statues in Mexico, China, and Italy, and rode Frozen twice.

We stopped at Muppets Brew-Wing and he finally fell asleep, giving me an excuse to write this and try the pickle milkshake and frozen tea. The pickle milkshake didn’t really taste like pickles - imagine you have a McDonalds Shamrock shake but they ran out of mint and put dill instead.
After our nap and a bit of standing practice (and cycling through all the Muppets mini shows), we headed to the Creations Shop to get a new pair of sunglasses (they’re Spaceship Earth themed), a cooling towel (the Disney ones really are better than the Amazon ones), a Disney bus toy and a Dumbo toy for Henry, and a Mickey sweatshirt for Henry as well. I want to start collecting ride vehicle toys for him; I think they’re fun and I wish they existed for every ride!

Daddy joined us in the park and we went on Spaceship Earth, Figment, and Living with the Land. Henry protested a bit on Spaceship Earth (since he was in the carrier and didn’t want to nap) but he laughed and clapped on the other rides. He especially loved the first half of LWTL which I found so funny; I’m starting him early on the Disney parks fandom!
Daddy gave him some milkies and a diaper change and I got to ride Soarin, which was super fast (yay single rider). I offered to swap but DH told me to go! Yippee!
We went on Nemo and hung out for half an hour or so in The Seas before it was time for my Guardians exploits. I scored an ILL for 6:00-7:00 and an estimated VQ boarding group at 7:05 so I aimed for the second half of the first window and ended up timing it really well - my boarding group was called while I was riding the first time, and I was able to scan right in. The queue had filled most of the spiral ramp during my first time, so I was a bit worried that I’d be late for dinner, but when I scanned in for my second time the queue only trickled a short way into the spiral.

I enjoyed the standby queue (well, VQ for now) set up like an Epcot pavilion about Xandar. I admit that I know very little about the Guardians universe but it’s a cool idea.

I only waited about 10ish mins in the standby queue before joining the LL folks in the pre-preshow room. Tonight, I was row 1 the first time and row 6 the second time! I had “I Ran” the first time (again) and “Disco Inferno” the second time.

I think this is officially my favorite ride at WDW now, and I’m definitely going to have to go again!!!

I got off the ride just in time to check in for our dinner at Space 220. The only time we could book was 7:45, so I was worried about Henry, but he napped late (1:20 and 6:00 instead of his usual 10:00 and 2:30) so fortunately it worked out okay.

We went up the “space elevator”, which was a cool effect despite not being that realistic (it’s very clearly a screen). I’m not complaining, but my IRL friend asked me if it was realistic haha. Henry liked it!

We were seated on the lower level, one row back from the windows. I agree with other folks who have said that the windows look better to the upper level/seats farther away.
We asked our server to rush the service, since I had read that their typical pace is on the slower side and we wanted to get the baby home. Our dinner at a “rushed” pace ended up being about 90 minutes, including the elevator time, so I’m glad we made that request.

We started with drinks - the Illuminator (a sort of tiki drink with popping boba) and the Space Mule. I liked both, but especially liked the Space Mule - you can’t taste the carrot juice, and the tajín rim is a nice touch.

The meal at Space 220 is a 3 course prix fixe - I ordered the burrata, which had a salty watermelon that complemented the smooth burrata and spicy arugula…and DH ordered the “space greens”. Henry very adorably stole apple slices and bacon pieces right out of his dish.

For our entrees, we ordered the filet mignon and short rib. I thought the filet was exceptionally well cooked! DH liked his short rib as well, and thought it tied with the short rib at Kona Cafe.

Finally, for dessert, DH got (and loved) the plant based carrot cake, and I enjoyed the modified chocolate cheesecake (gluten free minus the pearls).

I know reviewers have been tough on this place, but I enjoyed the experience. I think it’s worth doing once in a while, but won’t be on my “every visit” list. Epcot needed another themed restaurant, especially outside World Showcase! I’m liking the changes they’ve made to what used to be Future World.

I didn’t wear my Apple Watch today, but we spent about 12 hours in Epcot today without going back to the airbnb, so I’m sure I had plenty of steps. I’m officially caught up to “real time” (for now), so if you’re reading, thanks for your patience! It took a week or so to catch up and also develop the habit of taking photos of the kiddo without revealing his face so I can still post them :) I still haven’t gotten the habit of photographing my food, but I’ll share what I remember to take!

You might be wondering - okay, day 11 of the trip in total, 7 of which have included park visits…am I feeling like I’ve done “enough”? I’m not sick of it, and I’m thrilled to be here through the 28th, but if we only had 2 weeks in total, I think the pace would be okay with a baby. One week would be too short for me, especially with my husband working (then again, he could probably take a week straight totally off but he can’t take 4!)

I’d still like to ride FOP a couple times, Dinosaur at least once, I might do Mission Space and Test Track (but I’d be okay skipping them) and I might watch the films in Epcot (but I’d be okay skipping them). I’d like to do Slinky again…maybe I’ll make a list. But if we were leaving tomorrow, I would have made a point of fitting in FOP on one more solo evening (and we would have powered through last night so DH could ride the Star Wars attractions at least once).

Photos from Day 11 since I’m too lazy to edit the last post

Attachments

• 6468CE03-3507-4622-A776-F9B578863E44.jpeg
    6468CE03-3507-4622-A776-F9B578863E44.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 19
  • B0DAFDDE-3A55-4CA1-B237-0833762ECD3C.jpeg
    B0DAFDDE-3A55-4CA1-B237-0833762ECD3C.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 26BD14D9-DCAD-480E-89DA-9FC6C41ABE00.jpeg
    26BD14D9-DCAD-480E-89DA-9FC6C41ABE00.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 19
  • 0B134EFA-C725-44E6-BC1D-C3C77156C7E2.jpeg
    0B134EFA-C725-44E6-BC1D-C3C77156C7E2.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 16
  • CB71909B-EE62-43D7-A6D0-7FB2DA9D5EE8.jpeg
    CB71909B-EE62-43D7-A6D0-7FB2DA9D5EE8.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 15
  • B1281F41-5A2E-4FA1-A8BD-17DA9F17B2F3.jpeg
    B1281F41-5A2E-4FA1-A8BD-17DA9F17B2F3.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 17
  • BE23B861-E185-4A61-B192-180AFB072FFB.jpeg
    BE23B861-E185-4A61-B192-180AFB072FFB.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 16
  • AFB2CA22-0A68-4D72-AD71-79E590569ECA.jpeg
    AFB2CA22-0A68-4D72-AD71-79E590569ECA.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 357D2E6E-71A6-42F6-93BB-B0E434E104DE.jpeg
    357D2E6E-71A6-42F6-93BB-B0E434E104DE.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 685D111B-36CE-48CB-8252-B0F9B0F9AD87.jpeg
    685D111B-36CE-48CB-8252-B0F9B0F9AD87.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 33
MAGIC KINGDOM BUCKET LIST
Bold = never done before
[ ] = haven’t done this trip
[X] = done this trip
*** = would be sad if we missed this

I used the park maps to make this, but please let me know if there’s something else I should include! I didn’t put all the shops and I debated excluding dining but it’s such a big part of the parks…I’ll just add notes.

[X] Ride the Railroad
[X] Watch the parade
[ ] Watch the Dapper Dans
[X] Meet Mickey Mouse
[X] Eat at Casey’s Corner - technically we had water from here, but they don’t have an allergy menu and only have shared fryers, so while I could get a Beyond sausage on the GF bun, I won’t be sad if we miss it

[ ] Look for hidden Mickeys
[ ] find all the Fab 50 statues
[ ] Collect pressed pennies
[ ] Do the pirate’s adventure hunt (thanks @erinch!)

[ ] Eat at the Crystal Palace
[ ] Eat at the Plaza Restaurant
[ ] Get ice cream from Plaza Ice Cream Parlor
[ ] Order coffee from Main Street Bakery
[ ] Eat at Tony’s Town Square
[X] Visit the Emporium
[ ] Order from Main Street Confectionery

[ ] Walk through Swiss Family Treehouse - I’ve never done this, but I’d have to climb stairs while wearing a 25lb+ baby in the carrier, so I will NOT be sad if we miss this.
[X] Ride the Magic Carpets of Aladdin
[X] Ride the Jungle Cruise***
[X] Watch the Enchanted Tiki Room
[X] Ride Pirates
[ ] Order from the spring roll cart - I don’t think they have GF options, but I’ve done this in the past pre-diagnosis
[X] Order from Sunshine Tree Terrace
[ ] Order from Aloha Isle
[X] Eat at Skipper Canteen
[X] Eat at Tortuga Tavern - they didn’t have GF food but I liked the desert pear slush!

[X] Ride Big Thunder
[ ] Visit Tom Sawyer Island - I did this on my one April visit, but I’m not making this a priority in August.
[ ] Watch Country Bear Jamboree
[ ] Eat at Golden Oak Outpost
[ ] Eat at Pecos Bill
[ ] Eat at Westward Ho

[ ] Watch the Hall of Presidents
[X] Ride the Riverboat
[X] Ride the Haunted Mansion
[ ] Eat at Liberty Tree Tavern/Diamond Horseshoe
[X] Eat at Columbia Harbor House
[ ] Eat at Sleepy Hollow

[ ] Ride the Carrousel
[X] Watch Mickey’s Philharmagic
[X] Ride Peter Pan
[X] Ride Small World
[ ] Watch Enchanted Tales with Belle
[X] Ride Under the Sea
[ ] Meet Ariel
[ ] Meet characters at Pete’s Silly Sideshow
[ ] Ride the Barnstormer
[X] Ride Dumbo
[ ] Ride Mad Tea Party
[ ] Meet Merida
[X] Ride Winnie the Pooh
[X] Ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
[ ] Meet characters at Princess Fairytale Hall
[ ] Eat at Cinderella’s Royal Table
[ ] Eat at Pinocchio Village Haus
[ ] Eat at Be Our Guest
[ ] Have LeFou’s Brew at Gaston’s Tavern
[ ] Order from Storybook Treats
[ ] Order from Friar’s Nook
[ ] Order from Cheshire Cafe
[ ] Order from Prince Eric Village Market

[ ] Ride Tomorrowland Speedway
[X] Ride TRON
[X] Ride Space Mountain
[ ] Ride Astro Orbiter
[X] Ride the Peoplemover***
[X] Watch Carousel of Progress
[ ] Watch Monster’s Inc
[ ] Ride Buzz
[X] Eat at Cosmic Ray’s
[ X] Order something from Auntie Gravity’s - the salted caramel milkshake, sans the Apple fritter, was pretty good
[X] Order something from The Lunching Pad
[ ] Order something from Energy Bytes

MK RESORTS

[X] Visit Wilderness Lodge
[X] Storybook Dining
[X] Eat at Whispering Canyon
[ ] Eat at Geyser Point
[ ] Rent a pontoon boat***
[ ] Hunt for Hidden Mickeys
[ ] Watch the geyser
[ ] Visit Fort Wilderness
[ ] Watch Hoop Dee Doo
[ ] Visit the petting zoo
[ ] Visit the horse barn
[ ] Go horseback riding
[ ] Take a wagon/carriage ride
[ ] Eat at Trail’s End
[ ] Rent a canoe/kayak
[X] Visit The Contemporary
[X] Eat at Chef Mickey’s
[ ] Eat at Steakhouse 71 (I’ve eaten at The Wave)
[ ] Watch the fireworks from the rooftop (I did the Highway in the Sky monorail food tour in 2019)
[ ] Eat at California Grill (technically we had brunch here but it isn’t the same)
[ ] Visit the Grand Floridian
[ ] Eat at Grand Floridian Cafe (we didn’t love this in 2021)
[ ] Eat at Citricos***
[ ] Eat at Victoria & Albert’s
[ ] Get a spa treatment (I had a really good massage here on my birthday in 2019!)
[ ] Listen to the lobby music

[X] Visit the Polynesian
[ ] Eat at Ohana (most of the things I liked on my first visit are sadly not gluten free!)
[ ] Visit Trader Sam’s (we liked this in 2018 but I’m not sure it’s worth waiting in line with the baby…perhaps)
[X] Eat at Kona Cafe

[X] Ride the monorail
[X] Ride the ferryboat
[X] Take a resort launch boat
[ ] Take a Disney bus
[ ] Take a Minnie Van
[ ] Watch the Electric Water Pageant
[ ] Watch Happily Ever After***

This turned out to be really long, so I’ll have to come back later and work on the other parks/resorts/Springs! Hopefully it’s fun to “play along”…and I’m sure I’m missing some hidden gems!

Last edited:
I'm enjoying your report! Your son's beautiful hair is bringing me back to remembering my then-little guy's first visit when his hair was also very blond. We went when he was two-almost three. He's 11 now, with hair more golden brown.

Your list is great! You've done so much already. From what I recall, my son really enjoyed the railroad at MK and it was a nice break to sit and watch the world go by. It might lull him into a nap or be a cool break for you if he is already sleeping. Another resort that might be fun to visit is Pop Century. The grounds have big statues of toys and I remember my guy getting a big kick out of them.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

Loving your report!
For future trips, if funds permit and the pooch isn’t along, you might consider the auto train. We live in Lancaster PA, and it is the only way we go for our longer trips. Leaves from Lorton Virginia, with your car loaded. When we were younger, we did lots of trips in coach, and now get a bedroom. Leaves at 4, and around 9 the next morning, you are in Sanford, FL. Great way to travel.

I love your list, saving it! And it made me realize how few things there are to do at MK, compared to AK and Epcot that involve wandering around and seeing the little things.

For MK, I might add looking for hidden mickeys and playing the pirate scanner hunt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter