How much do you travel?

melanielll

DIS Veteran
We are starting to plan next year's travel. I feel that we traveled too much this year and would like to scale back. I have reached the point that I feel as though our time at home is fractured and that we are always packing, unpacking or getting ready to pack. My husband disagrees.

Here's what we have done since last December:

3 Disney trips
1 Kyoto trip
1 Seoul trip
4 Colorado trips
18 (or 19 - I am unsure) weekend trips to Austin
1 Grand Canyon trip

We have another Disney trip planned for December and I am heading to Austin this weekend. We also have a family wedding to attend in Louisiana. There was a Glacier trip planned, but the burning down of the Sperry Chalet killed that one for us.

My husband started talking about next year last night, and it made my head hurt.

How much does everyone else travel?

Not enough. :)

ETA: 2 WDW trips
We leave for Colorado in a couple weeks for a weeks vacation
Numerous weekend trips (driving, not flying)

We're trying to figure out where we're going next year. I'm going to WDW either in late Winter/early Spring and we will be taking a family vacation to somewhere. Not sure where, though. :)

Um, about as much as you do?

Are you including last December itself in the above?

If not remove teh top two items:
Long weekend in Metz, France
Week in Dresden, Germany
Long weekend in Hamburg, Germany
2 weeks plus two long weekends in Disneyland Paris
Week in Berlin
Weekend at Our Chalet in Switzerland
M-F weeks in or near: Munich; Tirole, Austria; Frankfurt, Germany; Laudenburg, Germany; and various really small towns in France and Germany
Week in Colorado
Long weekend in Fort Lauderdale
2 week transatlantice cruise

I just finished another 4 days in Colorado and am currently in Columbus, OH at the Girl Scout convention. After this I get a smidge more in COlorado, fly home where I will spend 10 days and then we get on another 2 week cruise.

Before the end of the year we also have booked a long weekend at DLP plus the rest of hte week in France and a week in Barcelona at Christmas. I am sure a few other things will creep in there also

Much of next year and 2019 is aready booked too.

BUT, we both love to travel and DH travels often for work and I go with him when I can. If you like it less than your spouse I guess it is time to have a conversation with one another and come to some sort of compromise about how often and where to go

Last edited:
I'm guessing you don't have kids? ;)

Vacation-wise, we usually do three or four trips a year. Often, a couple of long weekend trips and then two or three 5-7 day vacations. Then there's a couple weekends away for soccer tournaments and some business travel thrown in as well.

We've upped our travels in the last year. We purchased a fifth wheel (taking it out about once a month), and also planned a "once in a lifetime trip" to China. We're practicing for retirement. As well as a couple of cruises.

Probably as much as you do, except replace Austin trips with work travel. This fall has been/is going to be particularly crammed with travel. Sometimes I enjoy it, and other times it feels really taxing. We are also 'required' to travel for major holidays because we live across the country from our families, so that's fun too, especially since they all live in snow country, and we live in sunny CA. We are planning an 'International Disney Parks' trip next year so that's going to be even more...

We've upped our travels in the last year. We purchased a fifth wheel (taking it out about once a month), and also planned a "once in a lifetime trip" to China. We're practicing for retirement. As well as a couple of cruises.

That's another one of my concerns. My husband seems to think that this is ramping up to a lot more travel when he retires.

One big week or two trip to FL to visit family and do some other fun stuff

A few weekends away

Many camping trips in the summer

Not as much as I'd like to, my honey hates to travel and I'm getting ready to retire early so half our income will be gone.

So far this year I've done WDW trips in Dec., March, August and Sept. for varying lengths from 4 nights to 6 nights. A long weekend with honey to Jekyll Island for 2 nights (that's his limit). I'm going on a long weekend trip to Jacksonville this month just 2 nights for my son's best friend's wedding. We will most like do some sort of quick and dirty trip to either the beach if I can talk honey into it for about 3 nights or to WDW for 3 or 4 nights with my son if I can't talk honey into it in Dec. We used to travel more when my son was at home and it was just he and I, we would take a long weekend trip about every 2 months and a week long trip once a year. Sadly, when he got grown I lost my travel companion. I love to travel and would do it every weekend if finances allowed and honey would go.

We homeschool so I think we travel more than our peers. The kids are 8, 8 and 13. This was for 2017:

Two weeks at WDW in January
Three nights NYC in May
Three nights WDW in August (just me and dd, 13)
Twelve nights WDW in October
Three nights NYC in December

That's about average for us. We used to go to Europe more when the kids were small, but the airfare cost is prohibitive. Sometimes we will spend a few weekends up north in Muskoka, but that too is getting pricey for the value, so we skipped it this year.

This year we've gone on two 7 day cruises, gone to Louisiana to go gambling, several weekend trips to San Antonio plus evacuated for Hurricane Harvey. We're going to Hawaii at the end of the month for 7 days and probably back to San Antonio at least two more times this year.

We have two cruises planned for next year so far. A 7 day in April and a 12 day to Europe in October. I wish we had as much vacation time as your husband. If so, we would probably travel more.

Not nearly enough, but I'm sure my husband feels the way you do sometimes! We're away from home for 30-45 nights a year, divided up between two or three longer trips and a bunch of weekends and one-nighters. We're not at the point of big overseas trips just yet, not after paying tuition for three kids, but as the kids have gotten older we've shifted away from expensive infrequent trips like Disney to a broader range of activities and attractions from museums to hiking and kayaking and vacationing more often.

My husband is a homebody and I'm a wanderer, so I'm sure there will have to be a reckoning at some point to hash out a compromise between my tendency to never stand still and his preference not to stray far from the comforts of home. But right now I'm just kicking that can down the road because DH can't get away as often as the kids and I can, so I do about half my traveling without him.

Well, I guess compared to most of you we don't travel at all! We have a tow-behind camper so during the summer we'll do about 3-4 long weekend camping trips. We also go to Six Flags every October for a long weekend. We do a big trip (like Disney) every 2 years. Our kids are little (5 and 7yrs old) and we have 4 jobs between DH and I. As the kids get older, I see us going to new and different places, but I honestly don't see us traveling more often than we do now.

We are starting to plan next year's travel. I feel that we traveled too much this year and would like to scale back. I have reached the point that I feel as though our time at home is fractured and that we are always packing, unpacking or getting ready to pack. My husband disagrees.

Here's what we have done since last December:

3 Disney trips
1 Kyoto trip
1 Seoul trip
4 Colorado trips
18 (or 19 - I am unsure) weekend trips to Austin
1 Grand Canyon trip

We have another Disney trip planned for December and I am heading to Austin this weekend. We also have a family wedding to attend in Louisiana. There was a Glacier trip planned, but the burning down of the Sperry Chalet killed that one for us.

My husband started talking about next year last night, and it made my head hurt.

How much does everyone else travel?

Since last December.........1 three day trip to Mackinaw City, MI :blush: :blush: :blush:

We take 4 different week long trips every year. One is definitely to Disney World and one to a beach. The other two can be anywhere. This year it was California and an extra trip to Disney. Next year the extra two are Europe and Vail. It just depends on our mood.

We do spend about 30 weekends a year at our lake house. We spend another 10 partial weekends a year traveling to Columbus, Ohio as we have OSU season football tickets and basketball season tickets.

Yeah, we are never home.

Not nearly as much as you do. My husband doesn't really like to travel. I'd like to travel more.

This year has actually been a much bigger travel season than normal.
-- A week at spring break in Florida, visiting my family
-- A week at the beach, visiting with his family
-- 10 days out west (Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier NPs)
-- 2 weekends at a friend's lake house

We've had numerous "day trips" to various places for the kids' sports and activities, so we haven't had nearly as many weekends at home as I'd like, but most of those were just long days, not overnight trips.

This past year we did quite a bit of travelling. This coming year will be less so as we totally cleaned out the travel account to do it, and now it needs time to replenish. Smaller driving trips will be what we do this year until we can build the travel account up.

Wow! We haven't traveled since July 2016, when we did a road trip to Tahoe and Yosemite. No travel planned in the near future either. Although, DS15 has done some trips this summer (church camp to CA and trip with my parents and niece to WA).

In a year, usually one week vacation to WDW or elsewhere, one week at Family Camp. Maybe one overnight trip if there is a wedding or other event.

It's a hassle to be gone any more than that. We take the cats an hour away to SIL's. DH is self-employed, so no vacation pay. And it's difficult for me to have things ready before and catch up at work after being gone.

Next summer we would normally go to WDW but the girls don't have a school break together except for August (and that's Family Camp). I proposed that we wait until 2019 and not have a vacation trip in 2018, since no one wants to miss school and it would save money. No one is thrilled about that! They have gotten too used to an annual trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter