• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

how much does car insurance cost for a new teen driver?

Not only did our auto insurance go up with teen drivers, but so did our umbrella liability policy (by a bunch). I think everyone's situation is different and you will need to get some quotes.

My daughter turned 16 1 year ago. She drives 2004 Honda Civic for $100/month. I drive 2007 Honda CR-V for $60/month. Full coverage. I have been with Geico for years now and hands down are the cheapest around. I am paying my house off soon and called them about new homeowners insurance and quoted me $85/mo. Same coverage I have with American family which charges me $1700/yr. Nice thing is I can add that $85/mo in with car insurance. I called 3 other companies.

We added two teen drivers about three months ago and it didn't hurt as much as we thought it would. We have four vehicles, a 90 Jeep Wrangler, a 2008 Chrysler, a 2013 Honda and a 2018 Dodge. We added our 18 yr old daughter and our 16 yr old son as drivers, our agent had us assign them to our two oldest vehicles and they still have the ability to drive our other cars too. Our insurance went up only $110 a month. We have full coverage on three of the vehicles.

You can ask your insurance agent to quote you today. Assuming you’ll still have the same car and he’ll be an occasional driver.

So many different factors. Especially if you’ll be getting a second car. But in my case, it added about $100/mo. My kids had part time jobs and could afford to to pay that easily.

Ours went up about $100 a month when we added DS. Our best rates with teen drivers have been with Progressive, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. No experience with auto claims but LM was awesome to work with on a big hailstorm roof and gutter claim.

We had Geico when my son got his license (he was driving our 2004 Honda Accord at the time) and I don’t remember the exact price but it was completely unaffordable to add him. Shopped around, switched to progressive due to the low rate they offered. Son is now 19 and drives a 2007 Honda ridge line on our policy for $884 a year.

The premiums will go down as they get older and have clean driving records. Older son is still driving his Mazda and now his premiums are $1000 per year. He is about to buy his own car and will be responsible for his own insurance!
This shows how variable it is and no one can give an answer to the question. At 48 years old with nothing on my record since I was a teenager/very very early 20's, my premium is $1300 on my Mazda.

My ex holds the policy and pays for my 20 year old daughter, $3200/year for the 2 of them. My youngest, 17, hasn't even been driving on her permit, so she isn't a factor yet.

DH and I have always had Gieco. We paid about $1k every 6 months for both of us with great coverage and driving records. Adding my 16 year old caused it to double. I got a quote from every co I could think of and they were all higher than Gieco.

I also learned that waiting until she turned 18 to add her would not have made a difference. I was told that it's not really based on age, but based on driving history. If I added her at 16, 20 or 30 it would have been the same because she would have zero driving history.

Also, for CA you can't assign the teen the car. She gets assigned to the most expensive car on the policy, whether she drives it or not. Which is really annoying. DH and I drive new cars, she drives an older Honda Civic, yet she is tied to my husbands new truck that she NEVER drives and couldn't possibly wreck.

We tried giving her her own policy with her civic, that didn't work either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter