How much food do you have in your house?

I never keep that much food in the house. Honestly, I wasn't thinking runs on grocery stores would be a part of this thing. I can survive on anything though, so as long as I can get something I'll be okay. I don't want to brave the stores right now!

About a weeks worth of normal meals. I am never one to plan my meals ahead so I had a hard time with this. I only have my kitchen fridge to store food. I have chicken, beef, a few frozen pizzas, some fish and some pot pies. We have cereal, soup, bread, eggs - stuff like that. We would survive a good two weeks but I'm sure we wouldn't be thrilled with some of the meals. Both kids will be home from college by the end of the day today so I also picked up extra snacks and drinks. I still plan of shopping daily like I normally do but I have stuff in if for some reason something crazy happened. Grocery stores weren't fully stocked today so don't know what they'll be like going forward.

We have 2-3 weeks but really if you live in an area with PrimeNow, Instacart, or similar it looks like it shouldn't be much of an issue. Well selection may be an issue but they have FOOD.
Organic milk has later expiration dates. It could be worth the added cost to have milk to last over a month.

I have 3 full freezers and 2 refrigerators and a walk in pantry.

I will have food for quite a while.

My sister always said that if we had an apocalypse, she would be coming to my house because I have more food on hand at all times than at her house.

Hard to say really because we are a small family in a small space and I usually shop every day for whatever protein and fresh produce I need for our evening meal and just keep staples on hand. Right now I probably have 3 meals worth of frozen meat/fish, but no fresh protein except eggs and bacon and no fruit. I could do pasta with frozen/canned vegetables for quite a while and I have tons of baking ingredients - I guess I'll just let ‘em eat cake!

Last edited:

I live in an apartment with a medium to small size refrigerator and no pantry. We go to the grocery weekly. At this point we could maybe go a week.

We do NOT have enough. Really dropped the ball and I'm nervous - especially since we have a 2 year old. :scared:

We'll be good for at least two weeks, After that we'll be getting creative. It's the eggs, bread, and milk that we will run out of in a few days. The deep freeze is full of random meats, so we're good there.

I have to head out later today to get groceries. Unfortunately a medical diagnosis has taken away all of my options as far as stockpiling (no pasta, beans, bread, rice, etc.) and I have a small freezer so I have to make weekly runs for meat and fresh/frozen stuff.

About three weeks, but I am going away to visit family for a couple weeks so I guess technically I am set for the next five weeks.

We stocked up our new house pretty well with frozen foods and non-perishables earlier in the week. I'll need to get milk and eggs, but until yesterday we were thinking we'd be away from 3/21-29 so we didn't want to get them yet. Now we can. We also stocked up on some booze.
My parents' house has a ton of food. With the pasta and canned tomatoes/sauce alone they could probably make it two weeks.

I have a pretty small kitchen, and I share with a roommate. I stocked up so that I think I would last at least two weeks with what I have. I have plenty of canned and nonperishables (rice packets, veggies, soup, cereal) and I also have some meats and fresh veggie, hummus. I stocked up on cold brew for my caffeine addiction and got one of those Fair Life milks that is good til May. I am probably going to stop back out this weekend and replenish things I've eaten and get a fresh milk and maybe some fruit. Right now my cabinet is full, the top of our fridge is full, our freezer is almost full, our wine shelf has wine and I have a bag full of canned goods in my bedroom closet, lol.

We've ALWAYS had 2+ months of food in the house because we buy beef by the quarter and have a big garden, from which we freeze produce. And, rice and flour is purchased at Costco, in the BIG bags. I did make sure before we went on vacation to replenish our supply of these type items. So lots of food. No worries there. (Milk could be interesting, but I do have powdered milk which will serve well in baked goods).

I think we could make due for 3 weeks or so. I would get more frozen veggies but our little freezer drawer is full! I do have plenty of canned green beans though.

We probably have enough for 2 to 3 weeks but like someone else said the snacks would go first. We are limiting gluten but that would probably go out the window til this blows over as I still have some gluten items in pantry and freezer. Also we have several chicken houses (with thousands of chickens each) nearby so they probably wouldn’t miss a few it we got desperate and we have cows nearby. 😝 I’m kidding of course!

2-3 week I would guess, but things would be sparse by the 3rd week. Fresh produce would be what would be the worst to go without for my family. And that would run out in a little over a week.

That's our typical winter situation. In the summer----we basically have one week's worth of food at a time unless we know a storm is approaching. Between fresh food ripening/spoiling faster, and a yearly battle with those evil teeny tiny ants in my kitchen, I don't keep a lot of extra food around in the summer. (We have a brand of ant traps that work well for us, but we have to be super vigilant about getting them out right on time twice a year to keep them from suddenly showing up in our kitchen or pantry.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter