How much money do I need per person onboard?

I have not asked the insurance company that. I only just found out about the gift cards myself and had already put them in my DVA. My main concern was that I had paid for them myself-they were not "gifts", I paid full price for them to get the fuel points. The day I was getting ready to buy insurance I found out from cruise critic boards and asked the insurance company. I really wasn't thinking of "scamming" the insurance company through DVA. I guess I thought myself I was paying through gift cards "via" DVA. But my main concern was the points as I have over $1000 and no way did I want that to disappear!!!!
I will definitely check it out with the insurance companies when we are ready to cruise, thanks for the heads up!

We were just on the Magic and if you are going to go with a cash account, the maximum is $300 and then they will stop charging privileges. We also did the gift card payments, you just have to be aware of the amount you currently owe while on board.

The credit amount depends on the length of the cruise. For a 7-night it's $500. It's definitely good to find out the amount for your specific cruise so you don't end up trying to buy something and being declined! And once gratutuities and excursions hit your account, you can reach $300 or even $500 pretty quickly.

I would prefer to do a cash only since we will be paying with gift cards. Is it $300 limit per adult or $300 per cabin?

Once you hit the limit, then pay that off, does the $300 limit restart again?

I would prefer to do a cash only since we will be paying with gift cards. Is it $300 limit per adult or $300 per cabin?

Once you hit the limit, then pay that off, does the $300 limit restart again?

The limit is per stateroom, but yes it will reset as soon as you pay that down. The limit varies based on cruise length -- I think $300 is for the shorter 3-4 night cruises; longer cruises have a higher limit.

Enjoy your cruise!

Not sure what you mean by access to money. You put a credit card on file and it gets charged every couple days. At leadt that's how it works on 7 plus day cruises. We've never taken anything less than 7 days. For our last seven day cruise we spent about 2000 for five people including wine package, other drinks, cove cafe lattes, exvursions, tips and just a few souvenirs and no pictures.

Wow! Last year we did a 7 day and spent $2000 for 3 of us and I pre-paid for the wine package. But I did buy pictures. Still, you win!

Gratuities - $12 per person, per day
Remy - $55 per person plus tips, per meal
Palo - $30 per person plus tips, per meal
excursions - varies but I budget between $50 -$100 pp, each excursion
photos - $200 - $400 depending on package
alcohol - depends on how much you drink, others have posted example prices
sodas - again depends on how many you drink
BBB makeovers - these can be in the hundreds
Royal Tea - again several hundred dollars
spa treatments - can be hundreds

We always end up spending a LOT.

First 7 day Cruise - $1000 for 2. This included 2 excursions, Palo, merchandise, bingo, photos, tips, etc.

3 Day Bahamian - $800 for 2. Included merchandise, couples massage, bingo, photos, tips, etc.

It is REALLY easy to spend because you're having the time of your life :)

We just did a 4 night cruise 3/13- for my daughter (1st grade) and I, my charges were $329. We had prepaid our gratuities. The $329 included $100 for bippity bippity boutique, Palo brunch for one, purchased one present for someone not with us in the gift shop and drinks ( I averaged 2-3 cocktails poolside a day) . We didn't buy any pics, play bingo, use the spa or do any excursions ( other than the free 5k) or buy any other on board souvenirs, I'm pretty cheap unless it involves food or drinks:)

We are a family of 3 -- 2 adults and a 3 year old. The things that we buy are:

• cocktails - 2 per adult person, per day (estimate $50/day)
  • excursions -- we usually tour on our own, but I do usually pick one excursion through the ship (estimate $300)
  • photos -- we buy vacation photos in lieu of getting annual portraits of my son (estimate $200)
  • gratuities -- $12 per person per day -- I add an extra $20 to $30 per person for anyone who went above and beyond. My husband also likes to give a little something extra to our favorite bartenders
And that's it. We don't buy souvenirs (other than the photos), eat at any of the up-charge restaurants, buy fancy coffee drinks, etc., though those are certainly options that other people enjoy.

If you compare my list to what my parents would spend on their on-board account, they would literally only have the gratuities and an excursion or two. The other things are not in their budget and it doesn't take away from their enjoyment of their trip not to have them. Other than tips, pretty much everything you need is included in your cruise fare. Everything else is just a fun extra.

DH and I must be the most boring people as we spent less than $180 on a 3-night cruise we took this past February on the Magic (first cruise ever). $72 of that was tips since we didnt pre-pay and then $40 plus tax for 2 pics (didnt preorder as it was such a short cruise and only a few pics to choose from). Plus I had three specialty coffees. We also added a little cash to the tip envelopes which is included in this figure. Im planning though at least $1000 for our next trip as its 7 nights and with our two kids. I'm thinking I will prepay the tips though. Will I need to go through my TA to prepay these tips or can I call DCL myself and prepay them?

I'm teaching my oldest son how to budget his onboard expenditure needs as he prepares to plan his first cruise on his own. He asked the same question: How do I know how much money I will need on the cruise? My method is to write it all down in a notebook by day. Separate out what you are prepaying, what will be on your shipboard account, and what you need cash for. Always leave room for incidentals. If you break it down by day it's easier to think about what you'll be doing & spending each day. It also lets you know if you'll have extra money for splurges like massages, etc.

We didn't spend all that much on our 4 day Dream cruise....

we had the tips (recommended amount)
photo package and added in the prints as well since it was cheaper than if I went and ordered them
4 cocktail drinks
1 glass of wine at dinner
scrapbook album
scrapbook paper kit at Castaway Cay
2014 cruise ornament (love putting this up every year - so pretty with our pic in it)
spa tester package special - don't remember but around $150 with the tip

that's all we spent $ on

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter