How much of an issue is "false fire alarms" in resorts?

yorkieteacher

DIS Veteran
My daughter and her family are currently staying in Pop Century. She said someone must have pulled a fire alarm during the night last night after all her family was asleep, and everyone had to evacuate the building. It turned out to be false, thank goodness, but her two year old had sleep issues afterwards and they are not having a cherry good time today with a cranky little one. Anyone know about how often this happens? They were offered a "sorry" but no other explanation.

My daughter and her family are currently staying in Pop Century. She said someone must have pulled a fire alarm during the night last night after all her family was asleep, and everyone had to evacuate the building. It turned out to be false, thank goodness, but her two year old had sleep issues afterwards and they are not having a cherry good time today with a cranky little one. Anyone know about how often this happens? They were offered a "sorry" but no other explanation.

We've been going to WDW and Universal for 20+years. It happened once at the Hard Rock Hotel in the middle of the night. So my answer is "not very often".

What sort of "explanation" were they looking for? Seems kinda obvious. Some jerk thought it would be funny to wake hundreds of people up in the middle of the night...

I've been in a hotel where the fire alarm went off, more than likely someone burnt something in the toaster that time.

It could very well have been a smoke issue? Not necessarily someone pulling the alarm. Unless the resort CMs are saying someone pulled it.

Somewhere around 150 Disney hotel stays, all levels ... never had a fire alarm go off.

Have had it happen several times at non-Disney hotels. HINT: Among what you take out ... take your car keys if you have one. Longer waits in less desirable weather can be much nicer in your car.

I have lost count of the number of times that I have stayed in Disney hotels. 25? 30? Truly not sure. I've never experienced a fire alarm going off at a Disney resort. We did have a fire alarm go off in the middle of the day at the Dolphin the one time we stayed there. We left the hotel until the fire department gave the all clear. I was quite taken aback by the number of people who didn't leave and even who walked right in even with the fire trucks there! I was also surprised that the staff did not make sure everyone evacuated. Though perhaps they knew what the problem was and knew there was no danger.

It has happened to me twice in the middle of night, in the past four years (which is how long we have been going to WDW) so either I am just special or it's been more recent. Once at Boardwalk Inn and once at Grand Floridian. I wonder if maybe it is more of an issue at deluxes because the hotel rooms are in the same buildings as the restaurants where fires are more likely.

The worst part was with the Boardwalk one it took FOREVER for them to resolve. If it had just been 5-10 minutes, fine, but we were outside for close to an hour, in our pajamas, in February, and it was COLD. And my kids had been exhausted from the day in the park and were all understandably upset. The worst part was no announcements of any kind to explain or give an update on timing, we just sat there in the courtyard while the fire alarm screeched super loud over and over and over.

It has happened to me twice in the middle of night, in the past four years (which is how long we have been going to WDW) so either I am just special or it's been more recent. Once at Boardwalk Inn and once at Grand Floridian. I wonder if maybe it is more of an issue at deluxes because the hotel rooms are in the same buildings as the restaurants where fires are more likely.

The worst part was with the Boardwalk one it took FOREVER for them to resolve. If it had just been 5-10 minutes, fine, but we were outside for close to an hour, in our pajamas, in February, and it was COLD. And my kids had been exhausted from the day in the park and were all understandably upset. The worst part was no announcements of any kind to explain or give an update on timing, we just sat there in the courtyard while the fire alarm screeched super loud over and over and over.
would you have prefered that they told you it was a false alarm and have it be a fire in the wall? happened years ago at a daycare I was involved with. alarm went off no smoke smelt or seen so staff went back end to get kids coats and their things. what they did not know at the time but the walls were down less than 15 minutes later just minutes after fire broke thru walls

may not be a fun day today but would they have be having the same feelings if it had been a fire in the walls that could not be seen or smelled. sad part is the staff may not know what happened as it might not have been someone pulling alarm could have been someone smoking in their room as some alarms are that easy to set off

would you have prefered that they told you it was a false alarm and have it be a fire in the wall? happened years ago at a daycare I was involved with. alarm went off no smoke smelt or seen so staff went back end to get kids coats and their things. what they did not know at the time but the walls were down less than 15 minutes later just minutes after fire broke thru walls
I don't mind them taking the time to investigate, but I do appreciate timely updates. There is no reason they cannot make announcements on the status so people can understand what is going on. I was once trapped in a subway car with a fire in the train tunnel all around us, choking on smoke, and at least then we could see the fire fighters were working on it, and announcements were made that we should stay put and not evacuate, and people understood what the heck was going on. That was better than being stuck outside with three kids shivering in the cold at 2am, with no information whatsoever, wondering if we were safe where we were and why we were out there.

I’ve never had it happen in any resort or hotel anywhere.

As long as you know it’s safe to go back into your room, I wouldn’t worry about an explanation. Sometimes, there just is no explanation. Sorry that it happened to your daughter and family though. It’s tough on some people to be woken in the middle of the night. :goodvibes

We stay on avg of 25-30 nights a year, all total, for the last 5 years, fewer before that and it's never happened
But I've never stayed much at Value. Wonder if you have more of a tendency for unsupervised groups of kids to pull them?

Anyone know about how often this happens? They were offered a "sorry" but no other explanation.
I have huge sleep problems and this would bum me to no end. But in a 2 dozen+ trips I have never seen it myself.

This is not to say that I doubt it did happen. I'm sure it does happen; it really must happen occasionally at least, but it's rare enough that most of us (apparently) have not seen it happen.

This was your shooting star moment, make a wish.

once at universal hotel 2001. once at aulani 2000 something. aug. 2019 grand destino tower. my sister at coronado (not gd tower). yes. same story. fire alarm. evacuation. not one person in charge. no one to tell you when to return to room, no explanation. no nothing. you stand outside, with jet lag, with kids, upset, scared and tired. and sometimes cold. and angry the next day because of the poor management and communication. It's traumatic for kids. and if you have jet lag it's bad all around. and they don't care so much the people in charge if there are any to complain to. i keep shoes by the bed and a jacket just in case from now on and last time my dh didn't leave the room at grand destino because he's tired of this happening to often and it's becoming a non compliant situation with many guests evacuating. not many did.

Stayed in all levels and all resorts except 3 over a 35 year time span, have never had it happen. Given that only a few people who have answered have had it happen, I'd say the odds are pretty small it would happen again.

I've been in a hotel where the fire alarm went off, more than likely someone burnt something in the toaster that time.

It could very well have been a smoke issue? Not necessarily someone pulling the alarm. Unless the resort CMs are saying someone pulled it.

Last trip, I was using the oven in a 2 bedroom DVC. There were a few old french fries on the oven floor that I didn't notice. After a couple of mins, oven starting smoking a bit. I shut off the oven, tried to remove the burnt fries, opened patio doors, turned on bathroom fan. My son thought I was crazy, but I was so afraid I would be responsible for the whole resort being emptied.

In over 30 trips we've never had this happen at Disney.

The only time I can remember having a fire alarm go off in a hotel was in Dublin. It was our arrival night and I was super jetlagged and exhausted and I completely slept through it. My sister told me about it the next morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter