• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much phone data do you go through in the parks?

bettymae1121

DIS Veteran
Between MDE and my Lines/Touring Plans app, I'll be using a lot more data than usual. I'm a light user and the free 2gb I get on my plan is more than enough in my every day life. I know the parks have wifi but I've heard reports that it is slow and unreliable so I'd rather use my own. I can temporarily up my data through my phone carrier but I don't know what option to pick. I have about 1.2gb left of my 2gb per month, should I get more?

ETA: We'll be in WDW for 9 days.

My options are either 6gb for an additional $15 or 10gb for $30. 10gb seems like overkill right? I don't plan on streaming Netflix or anything like that (although I guess I never know).

Last edited:
Just my experience - We only use the wifi in the parks and hotels while we are there (we are Canadian so it is the most cost effective). The wifi is spotty but didn't find it slow when it did connect. I did have to try to reconnect to the wifi several times and in some parts of the park it just doesn't seem to want to connect but if wasn't a deal breaker for me.

I don't know exactly how much I used, because I honestly didn't look. But like you, I'm a light user and last summer I had a 2GB plan (I've since upgraded for other reasons). We had a 17 day trip and I used MDE and Touring Plans (for wait times only) a lot. Never got a data warning, so I didn't hit the 2GB limit. I used my data only, never tried for wifi.

I use the wifi at the hotel as it's usually better. I serious doubt you will use up your data plan unless you start streaming stuff.....

Just plan on using Disney’s WiFi. If you are staying onsite, hopefully you’ll be in a room with good WiFi reception.

The only time I’ve needed to use data is when we are at Swan/Dolphin for dinner.

The extra 6GB should be plenty but I mainly used the wifi and only switched to data when necessary. I also put the phone airplane mode when entering an attraction or its queue.

Thanks everyone! We are staying at the dolphin and get free wifi there, so I'd only need data at the parks. If think if I increase at all it will be the 6gb plan, $15 isn't that big of a deal and sounds like it would be plenty.

If it were the beginning of my cycle and I had the full 2gb I think I would worry less (not that I'm losing sleep over this but you know what I mean) but since I have only about 1gb left I wasn't sure if that would cut it.

For the most part, we've had excellent luck with the WiFi in the parks. It's often unreliable inside the bigger buildings (like inside Space Mountain, for example), but if you are outside, it is usually pretty reliable and reasonably fast.

The other question is how much any overage costs you. For example, I can add an extra 4 GB for the month, but it costs $20. If I go over my regular allotment, Verizon automatically charges me only $15 for an extra 1 GB. So unless I am absolutely sure I will be using more than 1 extra GB (very very rare), it's better for me to gamble on a potential extra $15 cost instead of an automatic $20.

You plan probably has a different structure so check it out. Also I make my daughters pay for the overage if they are using too much of our family's collective data.:rolleyes:

PHXscuba

I decided to just go ahead and pay the $15 on my next bill and have the 6gb for the trip. I wrote a note on my calendar to remind myself to downgrade once I get back. Worst case is that it turns out I don't need it and I wasted $15. Best case is I burn through data faster than anticipated and it comes in hand after all.

Thanks everyone!

Just my experience - We only use the wifi in the parks and hotels while we are there (we are Canadian so it is the most cost effective). The wifi is spotty but didn't find it slow when it did connect. I did have to try to reconnect to the wifi several times and in some parts of the park it just doesn't seem to want to connect but if wasn't a deal breaker for me.
This is our scenerio as well. We turn off our data before leaving Canada and never have had a problem.

We primarily used wifi while we were in Disney, and didn't really burn up much data at all, well.

I only get 2 gb per month and never use that up because I’m always using WiFi. The WiFi in the parks works pretty well unless you’re in some of the ques. 6 gb sounds like a crazy amount.

The other question is how much any overage costs you. For example, I can add an extra 4 GB for the month, but it costs $20. If I go over my regular allotment, Verizon automatically charges me only $15 for an extra 1 GB. So unless I am absolutely sure I will be using more than 1 extra GB (very very rare), it's better for me to gamble on a potential extra $15 cost instead of an automatic $20.

You plan probably has a different structure so check it out. Also I make my daughters pay for the overage if they are using too much of our family's collective data.:rolleyes:

PHXscuba

We used to have this, but just so you know you can have them switch things to where instead of charging you an extra $15, they will just slow down your data and not charge.

Between MDE and my Lines/Touring Plans app, I'll be using a lot more data than usual. I'm a light user and the free 2gb I get on my plan is more than enough in my every day life. I know the parks have wifi but I've heard reports that it is slow and unreliable so I'd rather use my own. I can temporarily up my data through my phone carrier but I don't know what option to pick. I have about 1.2gb left of my 2gb per month, should I get more?

ETA: We'll be in WDW for 9 days.

My options are either 6gb for an additional $15 or 10gb for $30. 10gb seems like overkill right? I don't plan on streaming Netflix or anything like that (although I guess I never know).
Good to know Thank you

I'd use the Disney WiFi any time you can. We burnt through most of our data a few years ago when we weren't aware of Disney's free WiFi!! We were constantly checking wait times while waiting for rides, buses, etc.

I'd use the Disney WiFi any time you can. We burnt through most of our data a few years ago when we weren't aware of Disney's free WiFi!! We were constantly checking wait times while waiting for rides, buses, etc.
I wasnt aware that Disney had WIFI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter