How much time do you give yourself in the morning?

DH's alarm goes off about 6:20am and he always snoozes it once. He then gets up at 6:30, hits the shower and is out the door by 6:50, grabbing leftovers that were packed up the night before for lunch. He has a coffee pot in his office, so he has coffee and breakfast at work.

OP - why is there so much traffic at a high school at 6 a.m?
The school has 4000 students.

School starts at 7:10. My drive way is 2 miles from the school. If I am past the school by 6:10 I am golden. Every 5 minutes after 6:10 adds time as kids and buses start arriving. If I were to leave at 6:20 it takes 45 minutes to go that 2 miles. The first few weeks of every new school year is the worst taking more then a hour to go those two miles at 6:20.

Schools and Churches are BAD neighbors for traffic.

A similar situation happens in the afternoon.

There are actually three schools side by side by side. Elementary, Middle, and High. Traffic is bad from 6:15-9:30 and 2:20-4:20.

Alarm goes off at 6, but I usually hit snooze a few times. Depends if it's a "hair wash" morning or just a quick shower. I like to have time to sit and drink my coffee while watching the news or looking at FB, emails, whatever on my phone. I try to be out the door by 7:53 for my 7 minute drive to work which starts at 8. I just started this job in Oct., prior to that I drove over an hour each way. It is wonderful not to have to rush around in the morning! Also, my daughter is now driving herself to school in the mornings, that's 30 minutes I got back as well!

I can't eat first thing so I usually eat breakfast (oatmeal, smoothie, banana, something simple) at work.

School starts at 7:10. My drive way is 2 miles from the school. If I am past the school by 6:10 I am golden. Every 5 minutes after 6:10 adds time as kids and buses start arriving. If I were to leave at 6:20 it takes 45 minutes to go that 2 miles. The first few weeks of every new school year is the worst taking more then a hour to go those two miles at 6:20.

There are actually three schools side by side by side. Elementary, Middle, and High. Traffic is bad from 6:15-9:30 and 2:20-4:20.

Makes sense.
School doesn't start until 9 here for most schools. 7 is early!!

I’m a SAHM with grown kids so usually I have no firm plans in the morning. I’m usually up at least two hours before I have anywhere to go. I’ve always been like that even when I worked. I just like relaxing in the morning.

Minimum of 45 minutes from the time I wake up until I walk out the door. But most days it's an hour or a bit longer.

I usually do it in about 35-45 minutes. Wake up, shower, blow dry hair every other day, do make up, get dressed, make coffee, grab breakfast and lunch and head out the door.

I don't have a set time to be at work but the earlier I get there the earlier I can leave so I try to make it in around 8ish so I can leave around 4ish and be home before 6.

Alarm goes off at 4:00am.
Shower/dry hair/work clothes, etc.
Downstairs to take Synthroid and Restasis, fill daily water for work, let dog out.
Back upstairs to dry hair, do makeup, get dressed.
Back downstairs about 4:50. Gather lunch/snacks and pack up work bag.
Take dog down to the basement to go in crate along with her Kong, new water, etc.
At 5:10 am. either wait for my carpool to pick me up or I go pick them up.

Seems like I take too long.

I used to have to get up at 6:20 and be out the door by 7 to drive 55 miles to work. Worse thing would be pulling out of my neighborhood onto the busy road and getting stuck behind the trash truck.

Now I get up at 10-10:30, surf the net, go over email, have some nice coffee and start working at about noon. I got really lucky.

At the moment...

I get up around 7:30.
I feed the cat and the get the kids car snacks ready.
I get dressed and take everything for work and daycare out to the car (I pack daycare bags the night before, husband gets lunch and coffee ready before he goes).
I go get the girls up and get them dressed and ready.
We are in the car, buckled and ready to go between 8:05 and 8:10.

I am not a morning person at all! So we streamline the mornings as much as possible. I also still have one not sleeping at night so I need every minute i can get. I drink my coffee at work, while I a going through emails and getting prepped for the day.

5:45 out of bed, shower, coffee, make/pack DS's breakfast and lunch, finish getting ready, more coffee, in car at 7:10, L station at 7:21, L departs at 7:29, get to work at 7:58, wait for elevators, click in around 8:05 for an 8:10 start.

I don't ever really need to be anywhere because I am a SAHM. I do wake up when the kids do. So, 7am school days. I can get dressed, brush teeth and wash face (I shower at night before bed) in 5 minutes.

On days where I have to leave the house early for something, I wake up 30 minutes before I have to go. That's plenty of time for getting dressed, makeup done, eating breakfast, brushing teeth.

Max 1 hour if I have a ‘lie in’ 30 minutes. Up at 6 wash, make up, dress, by 6.30 I’m making my lunch, 6.35 have a cup of tea sometimes breakfast mostly just tea. 6.50 deice cars hopefully leave by 7 at the latest To miss traffic.

I need at least an hour to wake up before I get moving. I’d rather lose an hour of sleep than feel rushed in any way. My current shift is 1-9 so I get up at 10 and have my shower at around 11 and try and be out the door by 1230.

I need an hour (longer is better) to be up, having coffee, reading devotions and then some web-surfing. :surfweb: From there it takes another solid 45 minutes getting ready before I can get out the door. I’m basically up at 5:30 to make it to work for 8:00, factoring in a 15 minute commute. Any less time and I feel like a rushed, grumpy mess until noon.

I'm a morning person. I'm usually up by 5:15. Showered, dressed and downstairs by 5:35. I leave for work around 7:35-7:45.
During that two hours I make breakfast and lunch, take the dogs out, wash dishes and pick up the house (because I typically don't do this in the evening, I prefer it when I'm alone in the house), eat breakfast and sip on my coffee while I watch a show I recorded or do some reading or internet bumming.

DH is NOT a morning person (but has to be to work much earlier than me). He's up at 4:50 and out the door by 5:15.

Last edited:
My alarm goes off at 5:45 and I have to be out the door at 6:05. That gets me to the bus with 5-10 mins to spare. I can’t leave the house any later because traffic builds around the high school I have to pass. If I left at 6:10 it would take an extra 10 minutes getting past the school.
Oh we are almost the same. Alarm 5:40 out of bed 5:50 our the door 6:20 for my 2,5 commute. I do Make-up on the train, shower at night. Drink coffee while getting ready. Make breakfast sandwich and tea for ride too. For me every other minute extra would be sleep time.

I need 45 minutes to shower, dry my hair, eat breakfast, etc. if I am alone. If DH is up I need an hour and and if he is getting ready at the same time I need at least an hour and a half. 30 years of marriage has not helped DH learn how to share the bathroom.

::yes:: Uh-yep! We live directly across the street from a Jr. High School. Some of the students are bussed and there's a dedicated parking zone for that. The rest are driven in by parents and morning drop-off is a crazy gong show as there is no place on school property for that to happen. At least 3 days a week I can't get out of my driveway immediately because parents are parked across it. It's truly infuriating. :furious:

Last edited:
I typically get out of bed between 530-545. I shower right away, get out and get back in my pjs. Get the kids up and herd them into the showers. I make breakfast for them while they are showering. And, if I am feeling nice, lunch. Then, I pack my lunch, herd the kids to the table, and pour my coffee.

Then, I play a quick round of Candy Crush, run through my news feed, make sure all the kids "stuff" is handled, get dressed, do my teeth, and then we are out the door at 645. I apply makeup in the car and blow dry/pin up my hair at work

On days when the kids get to sleep in, I can be up and out in 20 minutes. I like to have about 7 minutes to sit in the morning, though, before I have to head to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter