How much time for first time?

ljcrochet

DIS Veteran
We are surprising my DD's with a trip to DisneyLand in the spring. We are landing on a wednesday at around 2. I'm figuring by the time we get the rental car and stop at in an out burger it will be 4/5pm.
Flight home sunday is leaving around 1:30.

DH is trying to decide if time to do anything else other than DisneyLand. I'm leaning toward no since we only have 3 full day, and maybe a half day when we arrive. Figure I would ask the disneyland experts what they think. We have ever been to DL.

I would go all three full days to DLR. If it were me, I'd land, head to our hotel and get checked in, then go to DTD that evening to get even more excited for the next morning.

I would def use your 3 full days for DL! You can always use your half day to visit DtD or something like that but if it is your first time you will def need all 3 days for DL

I agree with the others - Disneyland is not a small place to visit - it might not take up that much room on a map but it sure is packed with a lot to get done. I'd even suggest getting a 4 day ticket and visiting the park Wednesday after your arrive and at least then help you get oriented for an early start on your Thursday. Are you staying on site? If so then you'd get early entry every morning, otherwise with at least a 3 day ticket you'll get Magic Morning for DL which you could use either Thursday or Saturday.

Have fun!

Def you will need all 3 days. We were there in Oct and had 5 day hoppers and a Halloween party and we still didn't do everything. I would try and get 4 day tickets and do an evening if you could- do a couple of rides, maybe see the nighttime entertainment?

Definitely go for three-and-a-half days with a four-day park hopper! Disneyland + DCA is not a casual experience. You will be constantly on-the-go to get everything done, and it's most likely you won't succeed because DLR has so much to do *and* is an extremely popular place. I agree with @DnA2010 that a four-day park hopper would be a great choice because, IMO, Wednesday evening (with lower crowds) could be the night you get to ride more rides than Friday or Saturday night. This could buy you the extra time to park yourself and wait for the PTN parade and fireworks.

We just went for that length of time except our outbound flight was a little later (6:30). As much as I wanted a pool day or a beach day, I also wanted 3 park days. We'd gone once before and 3 days was perfect- the last time we went, crowds were much lower though. With higher crowds, we absolutely needed all 3 days this time, and we don't even do the big rides bc our kids are littler. We did get to meet friends for a beach play date before our outgoing flight briefly but I don't regret 3 days at all. Next time I may even add another.

My favorite is 5 days-- 3 full days and arrival/departure days, all at DLR. This trip our arrival will put us in the parks around 10 a.m., and on our departure we'll be there till about 2 p.m. Perfect! :) Have a great time!

What else is he considering doing in the area?

I'm afraid most other places are going to seem far less magical than DLR! I would dedicate all your time to Disneyland and as others have said, you'll still be leaving with more to see next trip! It's inevitable! :o

What else is he considering doing in the area?

I'm afraid most other places are going to seem far less magical than DLR! I would dedicate all your time to Disneyland and as others have said, you'll still be leaving with more to see next trip! It's inevitable! :o
One idea he had was going to Universal Hollywood with a VIP tour. I have been telling him no, we won't have enough time to do everything we want at disneyland.

Another idea is to skip In and Out (easy for a Californian to say) and go Goofy's Kitchen that first night. It is a good mood setter. Then walk through DTD, as others have said, and get a good night's sleep for the morning!

Have fun - I loved DLR when my kids were the age of your daughters.

Another idea is to skip In and Out (easy for a Californian to say) and go Goofy's Kitchen that first night. It is a good mood setter. Then walk through DTD, as others have said, and get a good night's sleep for the morning!

Have fun - I loved DLR when my kids were the age of your daughters.
Thanks.
We don't have any in and out burgers so I know my girls want to try it. For a New Yorker it's a big thing.

I have to update my girls age. The trip is an early 11 birthday present since they turn 11 ten days after we get home.

One idea he had was going to Universal Hollywood with a VIP tour. I have been telling him no, we won't have enough time to do everything we want at disneyland.

Do you have Harry Potter fans in the family? No joking - I scheduled my Universal day before I scheduled my Disney days, so I get wanting to do a day at Universal, especially if the new Harry Potter stuff is important. It would be my priority when planning a west coast trip. Of course, I am am insane enough to solve the problem of not enough days by adding days. :D

We are landing on a wednesday at around 2. I'm figuring by the time we get the rental car and stop at in an out burger it will be 4/5pm.

What airport are you flying into? SNA is very different from LAX according to traffic. And definitely do the In N Out Burger!

3 days will be fine. That said, I stumbled upon what I think leads to the best experience, Assuming the park is open late on arrival day, get 4 day passes and go in for the parade, fireworks and as many rides as you can hit the night you get there. It really gets you oriented and in the spirit and allows you to get a good nights sleep the first night because the anticipation jitters are out. I actually hate Universal so I would never choose that. Although, there may be an evening pass for universal you could get your first night. I do think you need 3 full days for sure.

Maybe just get In n Out in the drive through? We don't have them either and went for the first time last time and DH was totally grossed out that it was just greasy burgers. My kids weren't impressed, and I just felt gross after. You may not have them but it IS just greasy fast food. Or get them on the way home. Don't make an event out of it.

We did 3 full days in the parks and our last morning in DTD on our first trip. We felt like it was a great first trip. We were able to ride most of the rides we wanted and completely fell in love with the place.

For our upcoming trip, we are planning DTD our first afternoon, then 4 full days in the parks.

I had the same dilemma. We are getting into SNA at around 8:30am and I wanted to get in the park as soon as we could. I decided that it would be better to do 3 very full days in the park and use the arrival and departing days to explore DTD and anything close to the hotel. I think this will help to get everyone excited and also rested before our park days.

3 full days! I'd either do a half day that first day or DTD, depending on what your kids would like more. We get in early morning and after getting groceries, we plan to spend our first day in DTD. My 8 yr old is excited for Build a Bear (we dont have one in Hawaii) and Rainforest Cafe. Then we will do 5 full days, or maybe 4.5 and call it an early night on the last day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter