How much to pay a retired neighbor to let puppy out 2x a day?

lecach

<font color=darkorchid>Will not get out of bed unl
Puppy needs to be let out two times a day. Neighbor agreed - she is retired and a little bored. She said she had no idea what to charge and left it up to me.

She lives in the same neighborhood and can walk here. Puppy usually will go right out, do her business and is ready to come back inside.

I've seen varying rates online. But not sure where to start. I won't need her every day but probably most weeks at least 4 days.

Another neighbor has a neighbor do this for her dogs and said she charges $2.50 per dog per visit.

Suggestions?

The $5 per day sounds about right for a close neighbor. What will you do on days that she has other plans or might not be home all day herself? Will she be held to the schedule like a regular dog-walker type professional?

The $5 per day sounds about right for a close neighbor. What will you do on days that she has other plans or might not be home all day herself? Will she be held to the schedule like a regular dog-walker type professional?

I work 15 minutes from home so if need be I can come home. And when necessary I can work from home. She goes to yoga and exercise class most days so we agreed that 10:30 and 1ish would work. We leave for work/school at 8 and I am usually home by 4:00.

I do 10 a day. Just me I don't see what the retired or bored part has to do with it. I paid the same amount to anyone.

I simply mentioned that because she seemed more interested in having something to do than in the payment. Wasn't meant to be offensive......

Have you ironed out the details, aka I hope she's not literally just "letting it in and out"? Will she clean up wherever it is in the house if it's made a mess? Will she praise it when it goes potty outside? Will she give it enough time to actually get some mental and physical exercise (maybe throw a toy for it)? Does she have a plan if the weather is bad and she (or the pup) doesn't want to go out?

If she's committed and willing to do all of the above, then I would say $10 a day, since she is tying up a slice of every day.

Terri

I think that if another neighbor is having a neighbor do it for $5 a day, then I would offer that.

My teenage son pet sits for several neighbors when they leave on vacation. $5/visit seems like the going rate for that. But I agree, he does more than just let the dog in/out... it's probably a 20-30 minute visit with playtime, etc.

$5 a day sounds cheap for twice a day. It’s not just the time it takes for her to come twice a day, but having to schedule her days so she’s home at those times twice a day. Shopping, appointments, visiting with friends... Having to be back home twice a day at certain times can be inconvenient, I don’t know if it’s worth the price of a latte.

I just can't see where $2.50 is worth anyone's time. Even if she doesn't have much going on, it's still something she has to plan around. I just wonder if the other neighbor who gave you that pricing has a kid doing it or maybe it's a close friend who wanted to do it as a favor and wouldn't accept anything more than that. ??

I have walked/watched my neighbor's dog for free because we are close friends and I was available. But it's not something I would do regularly for others unless I was being adequately compensated for my time.

I do not live in a high cost area and the cheapest I could find for someone to do this was $20 per visit. (I could have hired a teenager for $10, but I couldn't find any that were available during the school day.)

I pay $24 per visit for a professional dog walker to give 2 dogs a half hour visit. Playtime, potty, refresh water. I would pay at least $10 per visit to make it worth her while. I would still be saving money over a pro. She is scheduling her day around the pup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter