How much to tip for a house cleaning?

I'm still here...haven't had the baby yet!

My mom is giving me a spring cleaning by a house cleaning service called You've Got Maids. I've never hired house cleaners before, but I assume 15-20% is customary for a tip. However I can't figure out how much a spring cleaning is worth (the price is not on their website and I don't want to ask my mom). Any idea? It's a 4/2 one floor house, about 2000 sq ft.

Sent from me.

My Mom had a couple house cleaners for many years
Once a week-She paid them their fee and never a tip
Is it because its a Service that you think you have to tip?

I don't tip my regular cleaners except at Christmas (I pay double as a holiday bonus).

I have tipped when it was through a service (like Merry Maids) and it was a once in a while sort of thing. I just paid $20 per housekeeper in cash.

I don't tip my regular cleaners except at Christmas (I pay double as a holiday bonus).

I have tipped when it was through a service (like Merry Maids) and it was a once in a while sort of thing. I just paid $20 per housekeeper in cash.

I would agree with this. Cleaning on a regular basis - tip once a year. But for a one-time cleaning, I would probably tip $10-$20 cash.

I never tip my house cleaner. I pay a fair wage and give her a Holiday tip equal to one house cleaning.

I would not feel compelled to tip the cleaners. It was a gift and your mom is paying their fee for you.

One time cleaning, tip. Hired services, maybe at Christmas time, especially if you have a personal relationship with your cleaners.

I never tip my house cleaner. I pay a fair wage and give her a Holiday tip equal to one house cleaning.

:thumbsup2

Mine house cleaner is wonderful. She and her assistant clean my house in about 3 hours, I pay her $140 a cleaning. No tip, but I give her a cash bonus at Christmas plus a tray of homemade goodies for her family.

I would tip $20 each but I tip people regularly when I have a service performed that I'm happy to not be doing.

Personally, I think tipping $20 per person is a lot.

Sometimes those services send a team of 3 or 4 people so that could get to be pricey.

You could always call the service and ask what their tipping policy is if you feel the need to tip.

What a nice thing for your mom to do!

Thanks everyone! I just assumed it was customary to tip for a professional house cleaning. I'd hate to not tip if one was expected. I think I will just call them and ask.

And I am so grateful my mom is doing this for me!

Sent from me.

I tip my cleaner $10. She is embarrassed to take it but she's really good and I want to keep her. It takes her 4 hours to clean my main floor, 2200sq ft.; I don't have her clean the family room/finished downstairs. She is thorough. She's a Merry Maids employee and they don't make much. My bi-weekly fee is $130 and she makes $59 of that.

Am I allowed to ask on here what price range is the norm for a monthly cleaning? (She lives in Maryland) Considering giving the service as a gift to a friend who just had a baby. Also, what do you look for in a cleaning business?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter