• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much to tip for Palo dinner/Remy brunch?

It gave me anxiety to eat at Palo because our bill minus our drinks was only $30 per person and we knew that on land in like NYC that bill would have been sooo much more for the quality of the food and the amount we got. So I felt weird tipping 20% based off of that amount cuz that amount seems so small. So we just gave an extra $20-40 on top of what the 20% off the bill was. I forget exactly what it was it was a few years ago

It’s a strange situation, to be sure. The tip for the dining room servers for the entire cruise worth of service is not based on the perceived “value” of the meals served. There is a suggested gratuity for the entire cruise.

On a 4 night cruise, a Dining Room server’s suggested gratuity is only $18.00 per guest for all the meals served. The assistant server’s suggested tip for the entire cruise is $14.00. It seems odd that Palo and Remy servers are receiving far more than that for serving only 1 meal, if people on this board are tipping the same as the typical Disney cruiser.

$18.00 per guest for all the meals served.
For a family of 4 that's $72.00 for 4 days. Just for the main server. Plus $52.00 for the assistant server. Not to mention the $12.00 per guest for the head server.

$6.00 per meal sounds a bit low for dinner, but not bad for breakfast/lunch tip.

For Palo brunch, we tip $10-$15/person.
For Palo dinner, we tip $15-$20/person.

In essence, that would equal a brunch cost of $50-$60/ person. And the dinner would cost $60 - $100 /person. I'm comfortable with these estimates.

Also, I do recall emailing to inquire about the cost and was told that it included gratuity...This was when it only cost $25...

We have added as low as $10/person and as high as $25/person...I really do believe that it depends on the level of service in this case since there is no actual amount for the meal. And, from our experience, they were equally gracious.

A 50% tip? Wow. Service must be absolutely amazing at Palo, I almost suspect they even chew the food for you! :rolleyes1 ;-)
I know, right?! Palo brunch is basically a buffet where on land you would tip a few bucks per person. We tipped 5 dollars per person at palo which is way above what we would have tipped for a buffet on land; but the waiter did bring drinks and one entree for us, so we tipped a total of 10 dollars. That still seems high to me.

I took my recently turned 18 year old daughter to Palo dinner on our Magic cruise. It was our first time at Palo and we were not sure how much to tip.
We left $20/person.

As is apparent from the multitude of replies above, there is no generally accepted answer. I usually tip about 20% of the total bill for my wife and I. For brunch, we might have one extra cocktail on top of the $80 upcharge, so are tipping about 20 bucks. With dinner, with a bottle of wine and a glass of port after dinner, it comes to about $200, so tipping $40 for dinner. Those values "feel" reasonable to me, but opinions vary widely.

Observation: The price of a similar meal at home would vary depending on where "home" is. A similar meal in NYC is going to cost way more than a similar meal in Waco, Texas. JS

We tip $10 per person. Palo gratuity used to be included in the price and was stated as such, but a few years back DCL stopped telling you whether it was or was not included and would be vague in their answer when folks asked. My guess is that the Palo charge includes "some" gratuity for the servers but you are welcomed to include more based on the service you receive.

For Remy, I usually tip 20%. This last trip we did get the clarification that the tip was included for my wine tasting, but there was no auto-gratuity for the meal itself.

I know, right?! Palo brunch is basically a buffet where on land you would tip a few bucks per person. We tipped 5 dollars per person at palo which is way above what we would have tipped for a buffet on land; but the waiter did bring drinks and one entree for us, so we tipped a total of 10 dollars. That still seems high to me.
Not sure where your are from but the tipping convention on land is no different for brunch: it is still 20% of the total bill. For a comparable brunch buffet/sit down on land I would typically pay about $50 per person (including the beverage), and tip $10 per person.

Not sure where your are from but the tipping convention on land is no different for brunch: it is still 20% of the total bill. For a comparable brunch buffet/sit down on land I would typically pay about $50 per person (including the beverage), and tip $10 per person.
My comparable would be Golden Corral :) So that is 15 dollars per person - therefore 20 % tip equals 3 dollars per person. I am not a huge fan of the food at Palo - better food at the Corral in my opinion. But we don't tip the same for a buffet than you do for a served meal. 10 % is good for a buffet, 20% for served. As Palo is mixed server/buffet; I would say 15% of the bill is appropriate which is why 5 dollars a person seems perfectly reasonable and comparable to land restaurants.

My comparable would be Golden Corral :) So that is 15 dollars per person - therefore 20 % tip equals 3 dollars per person. I am not a huge fan of the food at Palo - better food at the Corral in my opinion. But we don't tip the same for a buffet than you do for a served meal. 10 % is good for a buffet, 20% for served. As Palo is mixed server/buffet; I would say 15% of the bill is appropriate which is why 5 dollars a person seems perfectly reasonable and comparable to land restaurants.
I hope this is a joke I am just not getting. I didn’t see any champagne, caviar and ahi tuna the last time I was at the Golden Corral. That’s like saying you don’t pay more than 5 dollars of the check at a steak house because you can get beef burgers at mcdonald’s for $5 and it’s all just beef to you.

Good Manners is not to pay different just because it's a buffet, at a place like Golden Corral they still keep your drinks refilled, they clear your plates, and in general, do a lot more running back and forth to your table than a server who just brings out your meal when you order off a menu. So you're saying twice the work deserves half the tip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter