How often do you clean your bathroom(s)?

The other day at work I overheard two of my colleagues talking about cleaning and the one lady mentioned to the other how she hates to clean the bathrooms in her house and only does it when she has company coming over or they get bad enough that she can’t take it anymore. The other lady agreed with her and said she knows she doesn’t clean her bathrooms as often as she should.

I religiously clean my bathrooms weekly, usually on a Saturday, and if I know I’m not going to be home or am busy on a Saturday I’ll plan to clean them the day before or after. It got me thinking though how often do others clean their bathrooms. Maybe some people think I should clean mine more often. Obviously there’s no right or wrong answer, I’m just curious, how often do you clean your bathrooms?
EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
It is the one cleaning that I do no matter what daily (and kitchen if I use it). Long time nurse, want a clean BR

I rarely do a whole bathroom all at once, we have 3. I'll wipe the sinks down when I am in there most often, especially if my husband leaves whiskers all over the sink. I do the toilets when they look like they need it, probably once a week. The shower is another story. I really need to be in the mood or it needs to be dirty looking. I am not a great homemaker. :rolleyes1

Reactions: NAB
I thought we cleaned our bathrooms about every week or so. Then we hired a housecleaner when I started getting busy again and it turns out we've never actually cleaned them. At least, that's what I take away from watching the maid do it once (and not in a creepy way, more like in a fascinated hypnotized way). When she was done with our toilet, I would literally have had no issue eating off it.

Ewwww gross. Bathrooms get cleaned twice weekly. Towels are changed daily, hand towels are changed 2-3 times daily but it depends on the day.

Bathroom is cleaned weekly, top to bottom. DH is adamant about this, and he does the cleaning. Mirrors, sink, counter top, shower stall, floors, toilet all get done with cleaning product (no idea what he's using right now, probably a foaming thing and windex, depending on surface). We also squeegee/wipe the shower stall, doors, and floor dry every time we shower. I tend to also do a running cleaning, where if something looks grungy, I give it a swipe with a sanitizing wipe.

No set schedule. I keep clorox wipes handy to use as needed. The toilet bowl and sink basin get cleaned about once a week, whenever I notice they need it. For my shower with its annoying textured shower pain, I started trying the dawn soap, vinegar and lemon juice mixture I saw online. I just keep a spray bottle in the shower and I'll give it a light spray and scrub with an old exfoliating mitt, usually when I'm in the shower. I do this more often than anything else (probably 3x a week?) because it's such a chore if I let it get out of hand. lol. Super simple and it doesn't feel like work if I keep up with it this way. I ALWAYS rinse the shower doors and walls after I bathe, which does help keep soap scum at bay. The floors get cleaned every week or two.
The guest shower only gets cleaned when it gets used. With the kids gone, it's mostly a dust catcher.

No set schedule. I keep clorox wipes handy to use as needed. The toilet bowl and sink basin get cleaned about once a week, whenever I notice they need it. For my shower with its annoying textured shower pain, I started trying the dawn soap, vinegar and lemon juice mixture I saw online. I just keep a spray bottle in the shower and I'll give it a light spray and scrub with an old exfoliating mitt, usually when I'm in the shower. I do this more often than anything else (probably 3x a week?) because it's such a chore if I let it get out of hand. lol. Super simple and it doesn't feel like work if I keep up with it this way. I ALWAYS rinse the shower doors and walls after I bathe, which does help keep soap scum at bay. The floors get cleaned every week or two.
The guest shower only gets cleaned when it gets used. With the kids gone, it's mostly a dust catcher.
I switched to body wash and no more soap scum. Made a huge difference and much easier to clean the shower pan.

Weekly (except for tubs/showers those are a pain), but they get Lysol wiped a few times a week as well.

I think it’s where you are in life. When I was single, and I had my own place , I swear to God, I never ever scrubbed the tiles in my shower/bathtub ( in my 20s) . I couldn’t tell you how often I cleaned my toilet or sinks, but I can definitely say it was not a regular thing. Knowing me, it probably would’ve been weeks or months maybe even, but then again where I lived back then we didn’t have hard water lime problems.

Now I’m a mom/wife and live in a house with multiple bathrooms and two kids and I don’t know if it’s just an age thing but I usually try and do my shower weekly mainly because of hard water stains and for some reason this house gets so dusty I have to do our sinks once or twice a week because there’s literally a film of dust. Don’t get me started on the toilets with four people. It just gets gross.
I agree, I think it depends on where you're at. Single - I'm really not sure; I think just when it needed it which wasn't often. When we had young kids and I mainly stayed home with them it was every week a pretty deep clean. Then I went back to work and now it's generally every few weeks or so unless it gets bad before that.

I thought we cleaned our bathrooms about every week or so. Then we hired a housecleaner when I started getting busy again and it turns out we've never actually cleaned them. At least, that's what I take away from watching the maid do it once (and not in a creepy way, more like in a fascinated hypnotized way). When she was done with our toilet, I would literally have had no issue eating off it.
Okay, I have to admit I’m super curious about this? What did she do? What products did she use? I think I do a pretty good job, but maybe not…maybe I could up my game a little.

The other day at work I overheard two of my colleagues talking about cleaning and the one lady mentioned to the other how she hates to clean the bathrooms in her house and only does it when she has company coming over or they get bad enough that she can’t take it anymore. The other lady agreed with her and said she knows she doesn’t clean her bathrooms as often as she should.

I religiously clean my bathrooms weekly, usually on a Saturday, and if I know I’m not going to be home or am busy on a Saturday I’ll plan to clean them the day before or after. It got me thinking though how often do others clean their bathrooms. Maybe some people think I should clean mine more often. Obviously there’s no right or wrong answer, I’m just curious, how often do you clean your bathrooms?
I clean the shower weekly. Top to bottom.

I clean the tub before I use it, because it's not connected to the shower and it's not used more than once a week, usually. I do rinse the tub after it's used, though.

I scrub the toilet, top to bottom, once a week.

I scrub the sinks once a week, including counters. I wipe them with a wipe every other day, though.

Mirrors, lightswitches, doorknobs, etc...all once a week

We have a cleaner who comes in every week so all of the bathrooms are cleaned weekly.

We remodeled our bathroom about 10 years ago and the shower door company left a flyer recommending we squeegee and wipe down the shower doors and stall after every use. That was something we had never heard of doing but it sure prevents soap scum build up and water spots. So I guess technically clean the shower almost daily, and a deep cleaning every 6 weeks or so is really just a wipe down with bathroom cleaner.
And we took out our tile shower and tub surrounds when we remodeled and put in Corian in the master bath and Cultured Marble in the guest bath. No grout so it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier to keep clean. We will never put tile in anywhere in a house again. We took it out in the kitchen too, put Corian there too. So easy to keep clean.
I’m right with you regarding tile. Never again, the only exception is that I have tile on my floors, but a brown-ish (wood look) tile and grout. Marble in the kitchen with a European sealer that is fantastic. Solid surfaces elsewhere—man-made quartz counters and cultured tile tub/shower surrounds. I do the squeegee thing, too. Pretty easy.

Okay, I have to admit I’m super curious about this? What did she do? What products did she use? I think I do a pretty good job, but maybe not…maybe I could up my game a little.
Keep in mind, this woman goes after dirty like it insulted her mother, and she loves her mother. Every visit is a deep clean. I have to insist on overpaying her. We paid her not to work during the Pandemic lockdowns because we didn’t want to lose her.

She starts by putting bowl cleaner in to soak then going too down with a pump spray of dish soap and bleach mix. It foams and keeps the bleach in contact. Comes back after doing something else and wipes the exterior down with microfiber cloth.

Pops off the seat, she recommended we get the type that comes off easy with a clip and this is why. Used toilet brush on inside of bowl and gets the busy part of the top of bowl with that. Spritzes that part then wipes that down with paper towels.

Now she sits right down eye level with the beast and uses aerosol stainless cleaner and paper towels to get every square inch o the toilet exterior. The stainless is a combination cleaner and polish that actually works well on porcelain. Then she dumps water in to drop the water in the bowl, sponges out the remaining water, then cleaned the interior of the bowl the same way and applies a treatment to the bowl to make it more slick. She then continues that level of detail to the seat and reassembles the commode when done.

To picture this proper, everything done with paper towels is done bare handed so she can get into the little grooves and ridges easier.

That’s just one part of the magic she brings. I have no clue how she gets our range too clean.

Cleaning lady cleans it every other week, I will quick mop in between. We do not use towel in the bathroom because I think it is gross to have a cloth towels that people all share to dry their hands. I use disposable ones.

Keep in mind, this woman goes after dirty like it insulted her mother, and she loves her mother. Every visit is a deep clean. I have to insist on overpaying her. We paid her not to work during the Pandemic lockdowns because we didn’t want to lose her.

She starts by putting bowl cleaner in to soak then going too down with a pump spray of dish soap and bleach mix. It foams and keeps the bleach in contact. Comes back after doing something else and wipes the exterior down with microfiber cloth.

Pops off the seat, she recommended we get the type that comes off easy with a clip and this is why. Used toilet brush on inside of bowl and gets the busy part of the top of bowl with that. Spritzes that part then wipes that down with paper towels.

Now she sits right down eye level with the beast and uses aerosol stainless cleaner and paper towels to get every square inch o the toilet exterior. The stainless is a combination cleaner and polish that actually works well on porcelain. Then she dumps water in to drop the water in the bowl, sponges out the remaining water, then cleaned the interior of the bowl the same way and applies a treatment to the bowl to make it more slick. She then continues that level of detail to the seat and reassembles the commode when done.

To picture this proper, everything done with paper towels is done bare handed so she can get into the little grooves and ridges easier.

That’s just one part of the magic she brings. I have no clue how she gets our range too clean.
Wow. That is amazing. And maybe a little crazy. I’m impressed. Probably (okay definitely) won’t be adopting all of that into my cleaning routine, but I might do it occasionally. Thanks for answering.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter