How often do you REALLY wash your masks?

When we were one to work they get put in a lingerie bag we have for our masks to be washed. I do keep one in my car for quick trips to the store in case I forget to grab one from the house. I change the one out in my car every weekend. It may or may not have been used that week.

For those of you who use disposable masks, where did you get them? I have yet to find any place (pharmacies, Walmart, etc.) that has disposable masks for sale.

Wegman's, Costco off the bat. Otherwise I got boxes of 50 through Amazon for $17 last time I ordered.

I hand wash whichever mask I wore to work when I get home. I keep a disposable mask hanging on my rearview mirror for runs into the store that I probably replace once a week. I also keep a disposable mask in the golf cart that I replace once a week if I run through a drive through (I live in a town where you can get just about anywhere in a golf cart).

I'm like OP. I rarely, as in once every couple of weeks, have reason to wear my mask because that's how often I go somewhere where I need to wear one. I go out for walks (no mask required as I steer well clear of other people), and into my yard or onto my boat. Still, I tend to wash them as I use them and hang them to dry. We have quite a few by now, so there's always a fresh one available.

I have a dozen reusable and those get washed after each wear. I keep garment bag on top of the laundry and I just throw them in that. I also have disposable ones for trips to the doctor or hospital. Mask have been part of my life for years. I looked and I bought 50 disposable mask on Amazon in 2019 for $6, those same 50 are now $20 for the same brand!

Last edited:

After each outing. But then I make them and have a nice supply now.

Same here - we have plenty of reusable masks that I made, and more are in the works. Not a hardship to wash the mask while I am also washing my hands.
I use a fine cloth mask to help intake cooler air to breathe better. I have three of them and I rotate them pretty much every time I use one.
I wash them using anti-bacterial hand soap in the palm of my hand and squish them around. Rinse and hang dry. They dry in a day.

That's what we do here too - we don't use anti-bacterial soap though, but I guess that would help if there was an issue with bacterial infections as well as the virus.

OK so I haven't yet.I have like several of them. All of the ones I have are not what I would think is "high quality material" and I didn't know if they would hold up to the washing machine/dryer. I have never worn one for more than probably 30 minutes a stretch. They already told me the ones they provided for us at work will shrink in the laundry.

Wash them by hand in the sink then, and hang them up to dry.

Same here - we have plenty of reusable masks that I made, and more are in the works. Not a hardship to wash the mask while I am also washing my hands.
Everyone here does their own laundry, but I have told them to drop their masks on the floor by the washer and I just throw them in when I do a load. I can usually muster up a load every day or two.

I have a dozen reusable and those get washed after each wear. I keep a garment bag on top of the laundry and I just throw them in that. I also have disposable ones for trips to the doctor or hospital. Mask have been part of my life for years. I looked and I bought 50 disposable mask on Amazon in 2019 for $6, those same 50 are now $20 for the same brand!

Last edited:
For your dark blue masks, see a button or applique on the outside, or put a dab of fabric paint on the inside.
A button is a great idea!
We keep a bag of clean masks in the car, so that we always have spares on hand.
We have a couple that we don't like as well -- we're keeping them in the car. We don't go out all that often, and we're pretty good about saying to one another, "Did you pick up a mask?" But JUST IN CASE, we do have a less-preferred mask in each car.

We have a couple that we don't like as well -- we're keeping them in the car. We don't go out all that often, and we're pretty good about saying to one another, "Did you pick up a mask?" But JUST IN CASE, we do have a less-preferred mask in each car.
We have plenty of masks, so keeping some in the car for "just in case" scenarios has worked well. There have been a few times when DH has been sure that he wouldn't have to get out of the car and, what do you know, he not only had to leave the car, but he also had to meet with someone. Mask time! And on a few occasions, we've needed them for my parents, too. Now I just make sure that the spare mask bag is always full.

For those of you who use disposable masks, where did you get them? I have yet to find any place (pharmacies, Walmart, etc.) that has disposable masks for sale.
Amazon almost always has some.
Costco has had them the last 2 or so months.
A couple of home improvement stores have had them online.

Every time I return home the mask goes in the wash. I have OCD, though. :crazy: If I told you how often I wash my hands or sanitize when it's NOT a pandemic, you'd call me Mr Monk.

I have about 6 or 7 masks I rotate between depending on my outfit. In my case, I usually switch the mask or wash it when I notice my makeup rubbing off on it. Our news here just did a segment on "maskne" or acne caused by mask wearing, so I will switch the mask out if my make up melts off or I sweat on it to avoid a break out.

Mine is about 8 weeks old, now sitting in the glove box. Disposable. Rarely use it. Maybe twice in the last 8 weeks.

So it's 8 weeks old, been in my back pocket right after I left work many times which at 115° and as high as humidity as you can get, I sweat a LOT, so it's in my sweaty back pocket.

Still feel protected when you see me on the very rare occasion having a mask on? How about when you see it and it's dripping with sweat after 5 minutes in these corporate won't turn up the AC stores?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter