• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How often do you "rent" points?

Kurby

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my trou
I'm just wondering how hard it would be to transfer about 550 points out

this is just a general question for a thought we had in the future about renting or better yet transferring about 550 points to someone or a few someones.

do you often find yourself short points and wanting to have someone transfer them to you or have you bought enough that you seldom need to "rent" extra points for a trip?

We rented for the first time last year (we needed other vacation destinations for a change). We had absolutely no problem renting and transferring points out!!! It was a breeze and I had more takers than points without having to borrow (500 pts). I put up a post on the rent/trade board and made several contacts. Luckily one was in a neighboring town and when I realized it, I went to high school with him!!! Small world!!

If you post early enough, I doubt you will have a hard time......I didn't

Have no interest in renting. I didn't buy my points to do this.

Remember member services only allows one transfer per use year and that is all. I have rented and rented out points multiple times and always had a positive experience.

Remember, too, that members are expressly prohibitied from receiving compensation for engaging in any transfer activity.

Remember, too, that members are expressly prohibitied from receiving compensation for engaging in any transfer activity.

so you can't get money for giving someone your points? i'm confused - why do I see posts that say rent $12 pp transfer $11 pp :confused3

It is written into the POS that you can not transfer your points for any type of compensation. You can rent your points. A lot of people are violating their agreement with Disney. Disney has the right to take action but I have not heard of them doing it so far.

As Deb & Bill stated, there is a provision that prohibits compensation for transfers. In truth it would be almost impossible to enforce from a pratical stand point. So of course, people do get compensated for transfers (it doesn't make it right. ;) ) but DVC is enforcing the one transfer per use year rule.

Disney changed the rules - you can only transfer out once at year.

otherwise you will need to rent to individual - make their reservations (sometimes change their reservations) and make their DME for them.

I been doing it for a couple of years. brother got in big financial trouble and it was a way to help him.

looking forward to the day when I don't have to rent and kept them to myself.....

I do like studios - but they definitely get old when you HAVE to stay in them.

ohhhhh - i know disney doesn't get involved with the people who rent the points and it is the point owner they would come after if the renter damaged the room

it kinda doesn't make sense - you can rent them to a stranger and get money for it but you can't transfer them to another DVCer and get money for it.

I didn't see that in our paperwork - maybe i haven't gotten that far in the mountian yet:confused3

ohhhhh - i know disney doesn't get involved with the people who rent the points and it is the point owner they would come after if the renter damaged the room

you do your own contract with who you rent too. this information should be in that contract. So if you have to sue them to recover damages - then at least your have a document that showed they knew the rules.

You have gotten the transfer information from others, but to answer your original question....We have never rented or transfered. Now, I DID donate a 5 night studio stay to our son's private high school once, so I guess that could be considered a rental, but other than that, we have only used our points for our own use. The only way I can ever see us doing a transfer is with a very close friend of ours who also owns DVC. We have stayed together on trips in the past, and if we ever do that again, we might do a transfer of points to one or the other to get more points in one account. That would be WITHOUT remuneration, and the ONLY way I would consider doing it. I would hate to transfer points to someone I didn't know. Maybe I'm too much of a control freak.

it kinda doesn't make sense - you can rent them to a stranger and get money for it but you can't transfer them to another DVCer and get money for it.

I didn't see that in our paperwork - maybe i haven't gotten that far in the mountian yet:confused3
Kind of depends on how you look at it.

Many think that the provision against getting compensation for transferring points is really there to protect Disney/DVC. DVC doesn't want to get involved in any disputes, so if I transferred points to you and you didn't pay me, it would be my problem. DVC wouldn't get involved because there isn't supposed to be any compensation in the first place. Beyond that, I really don't think they care or even know what (if any) compensation changes hands.

As far as renting points - you really aren't renting the points. Points have no value to a renter. You are renting a reservation. That's also a private transaction and DVC won't get involved in any dispute between a member and a renter, either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter