How Often Do You Replace Your Dishes?

I am currently using plated that are at least 35 years old. My mother got them when the grocery store would have a deal that if you spent x amount of money you could get a dinner plate. My silver ware is even older. It is my parents wedding silver ware so they would have been married 50 years this year. I don't care if things match or not so I am not a big replacer unless it is broken even then I usually look for stuff at the goodwill bins.

I started buying Pfalztgraff Yorktowne when I graduated from college in 1972 and had my own apartment. I had service for twelve about three years later, plus multiple serving dishes. We still use it all the time. I replaced a few plates, cereal bowls and luncheon plates over the course of time. But for the most part, it's all the original stuff I bought in 1972.

Whenever my wife decides to ;)

Smart man.

I am currently using plated that are at least 35 years old. My mother got them when the grocery store would have a deal that if you spent x amount of money you could get a dinner plate. My silver ware is even older. It is my parents wedding silver ware so they would have been married 50 years this year. I don't care if things match or not so I am not a big replacer unless it is broken even then I usually look for stuff at the goodwill bins.

I remember supermarkets having promos like that.

My mother told stories of getting dishes at a movie theater. If you went on a slow night like Tuesday, you got a free dish. Took a while to get the whole set.

Plus gas stations sometimes gave away drinking glasses with a fill up. And many of our drinking glasses 50 years ago were empty sour cream containers with a mod floral design.

We use Corelle, and the only reason I have replaced them (on the 4th set, in 30 years of marriage) is because I get bored with the pattern. My friends daughter has my first set, my dd had my 2nd set in her college apartment, ds has my 3rd set, and I am happily using my 4th. Flatware is still the same set, but a few pieces have gone missing. I would love if I could find replacements.

I have seasonal dishes. So I rotate mine three times a year. I have added pieces over the years but never replaced anything. I am expected to need to replace some as the kiddos get older.

We got Pfaltzgraf as a wedding gift in 1996. Those were used daily until a couple years ago when I replaced them with Fiestaware.
Fiestaware always greatly intrigues me because every time I pass it at a dinnerware department, it makes me smile. So darn happy looking.
Question: When you put plate, mug etc, into microwave, does it get hot?

Fiestaware always greatly intrigues me because every time I pass it at a dinnerware department, it makes me smile. So darn happy looking.
Yes, ours does because it's stoneware. So did our Pfatzgraff.

Our Pfaltzgraff stoneware gets hot, too. We just use potholders if necessary. My sister has the same set as we do. When her kids got old enough to use the microwave on their own, she got a set of Corelle for them to use.
Yep, we just use potholders. It isn't a big deal.

The sets we asked for for our wedding were Noritake Colorwave. They've held up well BUT we don't really use them much anymore unless we have guests over since moving into our new home (about 5 1/2 years) so they'll last longer simply because they don't get used. We used to use them almost exclusively though for about 1 1/2 years. We do however use the bowls from the sets all the time but other than some minor scrape marks on the bottom of the bowl from silverware/utensils being repeatedly used they've not shown any wear. The scrapes aren't that bad though.

Presently the plates we do use are my husband's mom and step-dad's from years ago. They have chips in many of them but are still usable. Those are Mikasa New Avenues from Japan. We also use quite heavily Nordic Ware microwavable plates.

Yes, in many cases Fiestaware gets hot in the microwave before the food does. It's not a problem. Just use potholders.

When I see something I like at Goodwill! No really, for my first place I didn’t want a prepackaged set of dishes. I went to ss many Goodwills as I could and picked whatever I thought was cute or pretty. Pretty much can be said for a lot of my glass or metal cookware and dishes.

This is me! I love mis-matched items.

Hmm, I’ve never thought about replacing it. We use the daily & formal dishes we got for our wedding 16 years ago.

we have inherited about six sets formal china, but I suppose none of them would replace my daily even if I needed it replaced

This is me! I love mis-matched items.

I have to reminisce for a little while. My parents worked for the store here in our small town that was hardware, furniture, home wares, etc. I remember as a child having to go up there during the summer. The man that owned the store would give me off jobs like putting things in alphabetical order or height. Anyway, one day I was working away and there was a dusty old box where I was working. I opened and it was random plates, teacups and saucers. Some were a dark red others were gray. I was trying to match them up but there wasn’t matching items. I remember hearing the boss asking what I found and being excited about them. But I soon forgot about them. Fast forward to when I graduated college and those dishes were my gift from them!

DH and I have been married 30 years. We have the same Corelle dinnerware, and same Oneida flatware As we did when we got married.

We recently dropped/shattered one bowl, but have not had other issues.

i would pick exact same patterns again. The Corelle pattern was cc’d years ago. The Juilliard pattern of flatware is still avalable.

We have a lot of Corelle dishes. I still have the original set I got from the 90's stored somewhere. I bought a new set back about 4 years ago because I found them at Walmart on clearance. It was easier to just get new dishes than go back and look for the ones I packed away.

After I got married, we "merged" our stuff. He happened to have Corelle dishes too. As a result, we have so many Corelle dishes. Unfortunately, our patterns do not match. TBH, it bothers me a lot. He doesn't seem to care at all. I try to make sure at any given meal, at least what we have out at that time is matching.

Not often. When we got married 20 years ago we just used the dishes we each had before we were married. Myvset was probably about 10 years old at that point. We eloped so we didn't have a shower or anything for people to buy us dishes. I replaced it all with Fiesta ware about 7 or 8 years ago.

Is it weird that we've had the same dishes and flatware for so long?

Nope, not weird to me!! Still have our complete 12pc. setting wedding china from over 50 yr.s ago with all the accessories, only one broken butter plate. I don't 'replace', I add!! :D (love dishes) Have another smaller 4pc setting of 8 Lenox Butterfly Meadow that DH really loves, also what I enjoy a lot is Fiestaware that I have in different colors - so bright, just makes me feel good! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter