How old was your child?

6 1/2 months. We went for a few days before a cruise. Our second was 9 months old when she first went. Our third was a year old her first time. Their ages didn’t influence our decision to go other than making sure to time a trip before they turned 3 and were no longer free.

Edit - I never minded taking a baby to a park, or a toddler, or a preschooler. That’s my daily life anyway! I loved seeing them so happy and excited. Now that my youngest is in kindergarten they go on some thrill rides. I hate thrill rides. I like dark boat rides and shows so I actually loved taking babies because all we rode was what I liked the most! We also never had issues eating out with our kids. Again, it’s something we do at home too.

Last edited:
DD1 was 5

DS was 4 (had a trip planned when he was 2.5 but I got pregnant with DD2 so we cancelled.)

DD2 was 18 months. She was a nightmare but DS was 4 and it was the perfect age for him. He spent hours playing on the Poly water area.

My worst trips were actually in the 3.5-4 yr old stage. Propensity for tantrums was the highest. Glad they had their first trips when they were younger or else I would have waited until they were kindergarten age.

1st family trip in 1999 (I had been several times as a kid not too poor in my early adult life to go lol)
DS-8,DD6,DS 9 months- the older 2 cried when we left, wish we would have made vacationing more of a priority when they were younger but started going to Disney every 2 years or so after that with other destinations on the off years
Last DS was also 9 months his first trip. By the time he was 2 he had been to Myrtle beach, WDW, Gatlinburg, universal studios, and a Disney cruise. My advice is travel as much as you can when they are small. It makes for an awesome traveler, a kid willing to go with the flow, and always willing to try new things.
P.S. we travel by car everywhere we go, even when we went to California (from Ohio)

119542A4-E6FC-49A6-998C-263692049D4C.jpeg
My son turned 5 at WDW for his first trip in 2017. He was a rockstar. I saw kids his age in strollers but he walked the whole time, except when he fell asleep at midnight after MNSSHP. He has to wear an extra pair of socks to get that extra 1/4” in height for SM and EE.

We had a family trip with my parents and new wife this past spring so my stepson was 10 for his first trip.

My first was 3 months. (subsequent trips at 2.5, 5, and 7)
Second was 18 months (then again at 4)
Third about 18 months
Fourth will be about a week shy of 3. Stupid COVID.

My oldest went to Disneyland for the first time at age 11. I've decided to take them all between 9-11 one-on-one. I'm hoping to take DD next year, but we'll see.

I would much rather have a child in diapers and a stroller with me at Disney than a child who has been potty trained for less than a year.

we are taking the kids for their first time ever in January at that time they will be 6&8. part of me wishes we could have gone earlier but we are in Canada and the pandemic kind of threw a wrench in those plans. Due to the cost this will probably be a once in a life time trip, I think they're at a really good age and I already get tearful thinking about them seeing Cinderella's Castle for the first time 🥹

9, 6, 4 - From 5 years of age, our eldest would ask if we could go to Disneyworld. I have no idea who she was talking with because we didn't have much Disney memorabilia or Disney toys in our house. I wasn't big on vacationing with pre-walkers and with 3 kids I needed them to listen and obey - LOL. So it wasn't until our eldest was 9 that we finally visited. At 9 she was taller than I and the characters would walk by her to the younger two so we bought an autograph book so the characters would be forced to acknowledge her.

To this day our eldest is still our Disney person. The younger two aren't that interested and when they do go they spend more time at the resort and Disney Springs. I wince when I think of how little those PH tickets were used. Currently our middle has a NEPH from 2013 with 2 days use. I noticed a while ago the ticket can be transferred. :)

DS1- 2 for WDW, 8 for DL. He's 18 now and has been 18 or 19 times.
DD- 3 months for WDW, 5 for DL. She's 15 now and has been 16 or 17 times.
DS2- 4 for WDW (was supposed to be 2, thanks Covid), never been to DL. He's only been the once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter