• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How potty trained is potty trained...

Stephen Burch

Earning My Ears
So for some reason, we thought they had changed the policy from requiring potty training to being a strict age cutoff for the Kids clubs. Looking at stuff for our trip leaving in 2 weeks... we were wrong. Anyway, our three year old son (young three) is semi-potty trained. He's 80% good but we still have him in pull ups in case of an accident.

I know it says they have to be "potty trained" but, does that mean no pull ups? If we come and check on him to remind him (or take him out and sit him on the potty), will that get him kicked out? He'd be really bummed if he can't hang out with his brother (5) and sister (7) during play time.

Thanks.

My daughter turned three on embarkment day of our last cruise and I tried to put pull-ups under her underwear, and I received a call on my wave phone to change her out of the pull-up or she would need to leave. This was 2016 on the Dream. My daughter was somewhat scared to be there without me and my husband for long so during those short spurts, she was accident-free without underwear. With three-year-olds, you can still check them into the nursery (which you pay for), and they are fine with diapers.

So for some reason, we thought they had changed the policy from requiring potty training to being a strict age cutoff for the Kids clubs. Looking at stuff for our trip leaving in 2 weeks... we were wrong. Anyway, our three year old son (young three) is semi-potty trained. He's 80% good but we still have him in pull ups in case of an accident.

I know it says they have to be "potty trained" but, does that mean no pull ups? If we come and check on him to remind him (or take him out and sit him on the potty), will that get him kicked out? He'd be really bummed if he can't hang out with his brother (5) and sister (7) during play time.

Thanks.
A potty trained child can take care or his or her bathroom needs exclusively using the potty. Pull-ups are a type of diaper & indicate that the child isn't fully trained, and that won't cut it at the clubs.

That said, you can check him in & out as often as you like. If he can wear underpants at home & not have accidents with you taking him to the bathroom each hour, you can use the same technique on the ship.

Last edited:
Yeah, I would do some potty training boot camp in the next two weeks and get him in underwear. If he goes every couple of hours, then go get him that often. He might be more motivated if he knows he can go to the big boy kids club rather than the nursery.

Fully potty trained is fully potty trained.

No pull ups or diapers are allowed during secured programming due to USPH regulations, there are no changing facilities within the club and lab therefore CM cannot change kids even if they were allowed to.
The way DCL work their ratios, a three year old in pull ups is classed as a toddler which brings the ratios way down, so if it was allowed they would start turning kids away/ 1 in 1 out during busy periods.

Although one or two accidents won't get a kid banned...constant accidents every time they're checked in might. CM are pretty good on picking up who is potty trained and having a few accidents and who isn't - they're shut away with kids 70+ hours a week...

Parents can go in and check on their kids as much as they like. While you can't take them into the kids bathroom there is a family bathroom that you can use if they need assistance without having to check out and leave the club.

We're in the same boat. My daughter is just three and is doing pretty well, but there are still some accidents. We are working diligently and hoping for the best.

We always made sure we dropped our three year old off AFTER going potty and never really kept him in there for more than about 2 hours, he never had an accident. but i know how a new fun environment can make kids forget!

Good luck with the training!

I think the biggest challenge for most kids learning and going to the kids clubs is that they must go into the restrooms by themselves, go into a stall, take their pants down, go to the restroom, wipe, pull their pants back up and then wash their hands.

I think many parents are overly “optimistic” their child can perform all of this on their own.

Just to let know that if an accident happens they shutdown the pool drain and disinfect the whole thing. It can take it down for a full day. I had one cruise it was down for 3 full days due to this.

Just to let know that if an accident happens they shutdown the pool drain and disinfect the whole thing. It can take it down for a full day. I had one cruise it was down for 3 full days due to this.
I have heard many cruisers not care about the affect of their child’s potty catastrophe on the rest of the boat. Many feel like the nonswim diaper rule is ridiculous so they try to get away with it anyway or put their kid in the pool with no diaper.

We too have been on a cruise where the pool was down a significant amount of time due to clean up of kid poop.

We always made sure we dropped our three year old off AFTER going potty and never really kept him in there for more than about 2 hours, he never had an accident. but i know how a new fun environment can make kids forget!

Good luck with the training!

Thanks! That's our plan as well, albeit with an even shorter time (hoping for no more than an hour max). His brother and sister will be in with him, but might be off playing on their own. And he has definitely entered his "not a baby!" stage, so putting him in the nursery would be... hard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter