How Social are You During a DCL Cruise?

miguelgar83

Earning My Ears
During a Disney Parks vacation (or really, most vacations I ever go on), I mostly keep my social interactions limited to my family or the people I traveled with. I certainly am not making BFFs on the queue to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (though the usual standby-line times would probably allow for that). I'm not an extroverted person, so usually that just as I like things, but I explore the idea of going on my first DCL vacation with my wife, I'm for the first time considering that it might be fun to make some "cruise friends" during the trip. I know there are groups of fans that pre-arrange social activities of all sorts, but I'm not sure if I want to jump into something so structured. So I'm curious, how typical is it for people on a cruise to casually strike up friendships during the trip? Is this a common thing during cruises, or would it appear odd (like some stranger getting too chatty during a subway ride)? When you go on a cruise, do you mostly keep to your group, or do you like doing things with other cruisers?

During a Disney Parks vacation (or really, most vacations I ever go on), I mostly keep my social interactions limited to my family or the people I traveled with. I certainly am not making BFFs on the queue to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (though the usual standby-line times would probably allow for that). I'm not an extroverted person, so usually that just as I like things, but I explore the idea of going on my first DCL vacation with my wife, I'm for the first time considering that it might be fun to make some "cruise friends" during the trip. I know there are groups of fans that pre-arrange social activities of all sorts, but I'm not sure if I want to jump into something so structured. So I'm curious, how typical is it for people on a cruise to casually strike up friendships during the trip? Is this a common thing during cruises, or would it appear odd (like some stranger getting too chatty during a subway ride)? When you go on a cruise, do you mostly keep to your group, or do you like doing things with other cruisers?
Some people used to meet new people at dinner via shared tables, but now there are only private tables due to Covid. Some people meet via Disboards Cruise Meets groups or Facebook cruise groups that were set up in advance.

in general, though, I haven't personally found people to be interested in meeting new people on my Disney cruises. Most people are cruising with their own family, and not there to try to meet others.

Last edited:
I like using the adult pool, and sometimes I have had very nice conversations with others there. This is especially true if we find we have something in common, or if there are very few in the pool.

In the past, I have used the Disboards to organize a breakfast meet. These have led to multiple friendships through the years.

Our family is there to relax and spend time together so we're not interested in socializing. Sharing a table at dinner was a mixed bag and after the last time (which wasn't a good experience), we always request a private table.

......................... When you go on a cruise, do you mostly keep to your group, or do you like doing things with other cruisers?

"No Man Is an Island" >>> by John Donne

"He don't know me very well, do he???" :teeth: I don't socialize on land much so no different on the water or in the air.

So I didn't talk to anyone on our cruise in 2019 (but there were 12 of us in our party and I feel like we were always super busy).

Last week though - let me tell you (it was me and DS only). DS is now almost 7 and takes after my dad - which means he is willing to talk to anyone about anything (I'm more of an introvert though). By the end of our cruise, he had friends from the day at the Beach, hanging out at the pool, and the Kid's Club. We talked to several people on our excursion and I lightly socialized with parties around our chairs on Castaway as well (mostly the parents of the kids with whom DS was playing).

We also became friendly with our dining neighbors. Since there were only 2 of us, we were seated near a party of 2, who were DS's grandparents' age. Over the course of the 4 nights we became pretty chatty, and probably talked the whole time during farewell breakfast.

We are a bit introverted but friendly and for the most part make ourselves approachable. So we will chat with others on line or while experiencing the same thing, etc. We did have a shared table on our last cruise and it wasn't a great experience. Watching other people eat and having the same conversation each day ("how was your day?" "what did you do today?") gets old really quickly when you don't click with the other party. If we did, I think we wouldn't have minded it as much. Additionally, there were so many people pre-covid that it wasn't easy to always run into the same people. I'm very curious how our next cruise will be in a few weeks.

We have always kept to our group mostly although I have made 2 friends over the years that I keep in touch with. This trip will be just me and my 18 year old who will probably make friends and ditch me so I'm hoping to meet others to chat with.

We've generally had pretty good table mates at dinner, so we never minded being paired with standin people.

We've also sometimes let other people join our table/team during crowded trivia events and that has usually worked out pretty well. Not a lot of time to talk about much other than the trivia, but maybe a few minutes before things started.

Some people used to meet new people at dinner via shared tables, but now there are only private tables due to Covid. Some people meet via Disboards Cruise Meets groups or Facebook cruise groups that were set up in advance.

in general, though, I haven't personally found people to be interested in meeting new people on my Disney cruises. Most people are cruising with their own family, and not there to try to meet others.
Makes sense. From what I hear, right now there's barely anyone to talk to anyway, aside from the crew!

I am typically fairly introverted, and have no interest in "meeting" people before the cruise on social media that we may or may not click with in person. That being said, we have met several couples on cruises that we still keep in touch with to this day. But, it happened naturally, at either a beverage seminar, on an excursion, or from pairing up during trivia. I say be open to making new friends if it happens easily, but don't try to force it.

Good suggestions above. I'd just point out that you'll likely have something in common with the other passengers - the love of Disney. It makes for good conversation starters.
We've found this is really only good for a couple of minutes, then it becomes glaringly obvious if there is a potential personality/views conflict. Our preference isn't to make friends at dinner when put with people we don't know. We vacation to spend quality time with each other, not meet new people in situations we might not be comfortable in.

I know some people really enjoy that aspect. We, more often than not, don't.

Other than occasional "idle chit-chat" we don't really socialize either when traveling by ourselves, except at diner when tables were shared.

I'm very social! I'll talk to people who seem open to conversation. Not everyone wants to, and that's fine. I try to pick up on those clues so I don't start rambling or doing a one-sided conversation. But I hung out in the smoking areas the most, so that's where the majority of my socializing happened. I started to see certain people frequently, and we just struck up conversations about the cruise or how dinner was, etc.
I'd be open for a social hour at a set time, but the best interactions, in my opinion, happen spontaneously.

I’ve cruised many times. I can be introverted, but also have my moments where I enjoy talking and meeting people on cruises.

I usually meet people on here and other social media groups before the cruise. Also have met people on the cruise. It’s always just Dad and I cruising. Mom doesn’t like cruising so our vacation is her’s at home.

On the one hand, pre-arranged events on disboards/facebook aren't spontaneous, BUT the other people participating are open to meeting other people on the cruise. Whereas the person you end up next to on the pool deck or at dinner might very much not be into making a new acquaintance when you try to strike up a conversation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter