• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How strict are Disney Hotels with # of people?

SAVINGUP

Earning My Ears
I was checking out different hotels in the Disney area and I noticed it states 4 per room. How strict is this?? We are a family of 5 -- 3 kids ages 11, 9 and 3. It doesn't make much sense to split us all up. These resorts were the Disney All Star ones. I will call and find out but I thought someone out there might know!
Also, does anyone have a recommendation of area hotels that would acommodate the 5 of us??
Thanks!

The All Stars and most of the moderates fit four in a room plus a child under three in a crib. That 'in a crib' phase may include a three year old but I just can't remember. I would not try to squish five people into the All Stars.

Deluxes will fit five - two queens and a day bed. Also, Port Orleans - Riverside section will fit five - two beds and a trundle bed (which will cost you $15)

As to how strict Disney is about 5 in a room -well, there are varying opinions on that. Usually both sides are very vocal about it, and lets leave it at that. :rolleyes:

Hi, just wanted to comment - we had the same thing going on 2adults, 3 children ( 11,9,3 ) i can not see splitting up either! ( and not every one that wants a disney vacation can afford 2 rooms. ) I can see guide lines to make sure there are not 10 in a room, but i think if we can fit , then it should be ok! This year we are staying offsite. But i did have a friend that went last April family of 6 and they did stay onsite ( caribean beach resort ) They were ok ( they were never in the room, but to sleep )LIsa

I would seriously not put 5 in a room at All-Stars. First, the room is too small, I don't know who will go out of their mind first you or your kids. Secondly, I don't even think they allow 5 in a room at All-Stars, so to get your 5th in you'd have to lie and violate fire regulations, neither of which can be a good thing, IMHO. The problem with squeezing in more than belong is that in case of a fire it can be very dangerous...I'll leave it at that. :eek: The better choices for a family of 5 are a) go offsite where you can get a whole villa for the price of an onsite room or b) if you must stay onsite the smallest I would consider is a moderate where I believe they do allow 5 in a room, but it's still supposed to be tight (I can't speak from experience there - never stayed at a moderate, but stayed as AS and I don't think I'd try that with my crew of 5!).

Enjoy!

I also would not use all stars for a family of 5, we used Carribean beach when my daughter was under 2, so they allowed us to have the 5. Which there was plenty of space ( we only slept in there ) maybe for laws and fire hazards, but there are some people that live in very small spaces, and i can not see that being a fire hazard. But it is not up to me!! I recomomend also staying off site for the larger familys. More space for your money! Have a good day, Lisa

Oops I stand corrected! Moderates also only allow 4 in a room plus a crib. So stick with my plan a or you'd have to spring for a deluxe (yikes!) to be legit. LOL! I wonder about the DTD hotels though....maybe the courtyard Marriott? It's worth a look.

The fire regulation thing is the decision of the local authorities I think, not Disney. But I'm not 100% sure.

We also have 3 children and we wqere able to stay in an All Star until our youngest was 3. Once he was over 3 we stayedt Port Orleans Riverside b/c it was the most reasonably priced on site hotel for a family of five. They have rooms with trundle beds and therefore consider the rooms to sleep 5. That's one of the reasons we bought into the DVC this year.

Lars624 .... Great minds think alike! I was going to suggest the trundle bed too!!!!

SAVINGUP, if you were thinking of staying at the All Star at the rack rate, then chances are you could probably afford a moderate at a code rate!!! I have never used codes before (hoping to for my upcoming trip though!) but I have read that MANY people use the savings to upgrade to a better resort!

Good Luck!!!!!

But we have 3 adults and 2 kids (my mom always comes with us). We stayed at the DTD Doubletree Suites a few years ago and were comfortable enough (2 doubles and a sleeper sofa) and this past June we stayed in a FW cabin. I'd say if you can swing it (I got a rate of $185 a night) then do the cabins. They are WONDERFUL and as an added bonus, you get a full kitchen. They have a double bed, twin bunk beds( they provide a bed rail for the bottom bunk if you ask for one...we needed one for my 3 year old) and a double murphy bed, so plenty of room. I know that "you are only in the room to sleep", but I always like a comfortable place to unwind and for those moments before you sleep, it is nice to not be on top of each other!

Marcy

The FW cabins are great! Check over on the Camping board for more info.

Have fun planning!!

Hi everyone,
We are staying at the YC in Sept....They allow 5 ppl in a room plus 1 infant--we have 5 ppl plus 2 infants. We will only be using 1 crib as our 2 yr old sleeps with us at home and will there too. But we will be putting 5 month old in crib. 2 oldest ds in 1 queen--they are 12 and 15. Mil in daybed. I called the front desk at YC and Poly and both told me we could do it.....We will hardly be in the room but to sleep

Hi!I second the motion for FW cabins.If you watch for codes you can get the price down pretty reasonably.We are going in 40 days and we are paying $159 including tax.I have seen even lower prices at certain times.We stayed in the cabins last year and loved them!!!!That was with 3 adults and 2 children.So much more room and things to do_Our family of 4 stayed at PO for a mini trip in Feb.We were so spoiled with the space at FW we would never do any other resort.Unless we won the lottery and could do a deluxe suite ha ha ha.I guess it comes down to how much "togetherness" one can stand.

Heidi

Another option to the FW cabins is the tree houses at DI. I personally haven't stayed there but have a friend who has several times.

I say call the Courtyard by Marriot in DTD, and buy two rooms that are connected for 20.00 a night! Thats only 40.00 and you get two rooms and its cheaper than a value at WDW. Maybe you arent going then when the sale is on, but you ask for the "100 years of magic" rate. Plus if you dont have airfare you could fly on United for 1.00 each on Sept 11. I wish I could go again. =( Oh well, will be there in just over a week anyway...LOL

I haven't read the rest of the responses, so this may be a repeat...

YOU CAN STAY AT ALL STARS WITH ALL YOUR KIDS!

We're in the same situation...kids are 11, 9, and will-be-3-by-then. I called CRO, and they said you can have 5 in the room at All Stars as long as one is 3 OR UNDER. So you're still good until your child turns 4.

Barb.. I'm sorry that the person you spoke to told you wrong. the policy is under 3, not 3 and under.

I have always thought that the allowance for a child under 3 was not based so much on age as on the premise that the child would be sleeping in a crib. Disney seems to want the maximum number of people in a room to match the bedding they provide. So, in an All Star room with 2 beds you can have 4 but since they can also provide one additional space with a crib you can have 5 (as long as the child sleeps in the crib). I figured Disney chose the age of 3 as being the age at which most children would no longer be comfortable sleeping in a crib and would therefore require regular bedding.

Now, obviously, this is very hard to enforce and it seems that Disney only does this when absolutely necessary. I personally would not want to sleep in an All Star room with 5 people of any age - just too crowded for me but everyone has different levels of tolerance. I would just be prepared for a very non-relaxing environment in your room when you are there :)

I guess what I really don't understand is how a family with small children can spend so little time in their room. One of the main reasons we bought into DVC is because traveling with a small child means even MORE time in our room for our family - naps, early bedtimes etc. We just couldn't imagine sitting in the dark in our room in the early evenings because dd was asleep. Once again, however, every family vacations differently and maybe they just don't schedule their days like we do.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Sha-lyn, the guy was very sure that it was three and under, not under three. I confirmed it with him, and I'm going to hold them to it. We'll be there (if we go this year) a week after DD's 3rd birthday. We'll buy her a ticket, but I didn't want to have to get an extra room, too.

I am having the same problem.
We have always stayed at the WL, and I prefer to continue staying there.
We went in October with our 8, 4 and 1 year olds so we did have a crib.
Our next trip the kids will be 10, 6 and 3 so in order to stay at WL I will have to have either 2 rooms or a deluxe. From what I hear they dont offer any discounts on deluxe rooms and I am not too comfortable about having 2 rooms. Would the kids sleep in one room or would me and dh split up between them.
I guess I should have stopped having babies after #2!!
Janice
WL 10/96
WL 10/01

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter