How the heck do I even plan our HS day? Jedi Training?

Charlies_Mommy

Earning My Ears
Hello!
I consider myself a fairly experienced Disney traveler. And I am struggling with HS planning (which is only 8 days away) So many questions! I would really love any advice anyone can give me. Park opens at 7 and closes at 8. Crowd level is a 5 according to TP. Party of 4 (3 adults and one child).
1. Do we make mad rush for Millennuim Falcon ride or do other rides right after rope drop? Or is it better spent on other rides? And hitting this ride later in the day?
2. Do we keep a 710 AM light-saber appointment? It is the only time left! Or is this wasted? Do they take walk-ups?
3. Do you need a reservation to just get a drink at the Catina? So confused on this one.
When do they start taking reservations for jedi training? Should I head there right away? Really can't miss this!
4. We have dessert party booked because we have done it before and just loved it. But, I have concerns about all of us making it that long given we have a 515 wake-up call.

Thank you so much!

I’m not sure how much you read these boards, but the MF ride has high wait times usually in the morning, and lower wait times in the afternoon. I would try and get a SDD fp and head to AS2 and TSM in the am. That’s AFTER getting your boarding group number first. If AS2, TSM and SDD are not of interest to you, get a fp for RNR and rd ToT. Either way, do MF in the afternoon.

thanks glocon. Yes, been reading a lot. And I have seen the wait times for the MF high in the AM and lower in the PM.

2. Do we keep a 710 AM light-saber appointment? It is the only time left! Or is this wasted? Do they take walk-ups?
3. Do you need a reservation to just get a drink at the Catina? So confused on this one.
2) yes. I would. All of the attractions will be very busy right after rope drop so if you aren't there by 6AM to be in the front of the pack you might as well keep your lightsaber appointment. They don't usually have any walkup availability.
3) Generally, yes. Some people report success walking up before 10AM.

2) yes. I would. All of the attractions will be very busy right after rope drop so if you aren't there by 6AM to be in the front of the pack you might as well keep your lightsaber appointment. They don't usually have any walkup availability.
3) Generally, yes. Some people report success walking up before 10AM.
PS keep checking the app for both of these. Week of and especially the day before people drop reservations as plans change.

Thanks CastAStone. I am checking the site like 4 times a day. Feel very disorganized this trip. And the craziness of the new land is making me bonkers. On the other hand, I feel very prepared for getting in the VQ!!

I don't know if anything has changed since SWGE opened with regards to Jedi training, but when I went last year and my son wanted to do it, we had to book it back there to sign up right at RD. We were probably 40-50% back in the pack and they cut the line off not too long after us, so yes, go there first!

Were fairly seasoned Disney travelers as well and this has probably been the most stressful trip to plan for us. We are huge Star Wars fans and dont want to experience as much of it as we can and also I dont think we have gone before just after a major ride opening so I'm sure that is why its more stressful this time. That and the crowds seem to creep up a little more every single year we go, I can remember blissful crowd 2 and 3 January days.

I don't know if anything has changed since SWGE opened with regards to Jedi training, but when I went last year and my son wanted to do it, we had to book it back there to sign up right at RD. We were probably 40-50% back in the pack and they cut the line off not too long after us, so yes, go there first!
This has reportedly changed. OP if it’st important to you maybe go back after your Lightsaber reservation and plan on a later show. You can ask for any show that has openings so pick a later one and plan ADRs or FPs around it I’d necessarily. There are reports of slots being available into the afternoon. But if you’re going at a busy time you may not want to count on that.

I'd like to know more about Jedi Training as well, one son is now too old for it but DS7 really wants to do it again (did it on a cruise last year). I told him that may not be possibly this time since we have rope drop plans for each day. If I thought I could still possibly get him signed up at say 10-11am, on 7am opening days, I certainly would. Tried reading other posts but getting comflicting info saw some indicate they were able to sign up while waiting to get through the turnstiles as well, which would be even better.

Also curious on current status for Jedi training. Right now our plan is to go to toy story land first which doesn't lend itself to a rope drop signup I don't think

My 5 year old was intent on doing Jedi Training. We got there well before the park opened and once it did, made a bee-line to the sign up for it, per everyone's instructions on the board. It was like a marathon of people, all RUNNING over there, like a stampede. We were lucky, he got in the very first group. You should've seen the people lined up behind us, I was so happy we dashed over there!! Have a great vacation, no matter what you end up doing!

Also curious on current status for Jedi training. Right now our plan is to go to toy story land first which doesn't lend itself to a rope drop signup I don't think
Thats our plan for one of the days as well, and probably try for MFSR the other day although its looking like not trying to RD that may be better, either way dont think we will change our plans to head to try to do Jedi Training sign up first one morning. The Epcot and MK days are going to be so stress free compared to DHS.

When do they start taking reservations for jedi training? Should I head there right away? Really can't miss this!

After getting your boarding pass for ROTR I believe the best way to approach HS right now is to go with your personal priorities. Yes, there has been a general consensus that Jedi Training sign up is lasting longer into the day now ever since TSL opened. However, if it is really can't miss then I think you should go there first and sign up. The bonus is you should have a solid choice of times and it works out well as you should be signed up just in time to get to your light saber appointment I would think.

This is especially true if you have a FP for SDD later in the day.

While I'd still like to hear more recent actual experiences since ROTR has opened and morning hours extended I figured I'd post back for others who may not have had the time to search that I've searched quite extensively for more info and have found a couple post from Dec 2019 (post ROTR opening) saying that Jedi training sign up was still available, mid morning to noonish, so it appears it's still not as popular and filling as quickly as it used to, with TSL and SWGE offsetting it I guess. I think we will stick with our RD plans for other stuff and hope to get DS signed up around 10-11ish.

We were there last month and they were letting people head over to wait for Jedi Training sign-ups while everyone else waited for the rope to drop in the middle. If you went over to Jedi Training, they were doing sign ups and sending you back to the main line in the middle once they were signed up.

Yes I think you certainly can go over to start signing up for Jedi at or just before rope drop but I think the problem is with all the other things to try to RD at the moment signing up for Jedi first is not a priority, I guess it all depends on your family/kids etc. This is also what also leads to sessions not filling up quite as fast as before as the other things are diverting the RD crowd. I've even seen poster saying there were sign ups outside the turnstiles while waiting for them to open but those post are not recent.

Jedi training is also a must-do for my son. We're going to head there right at rope drop. My hope is to get him into the first group so we can proceed with other stuff the rest of the day. However, we're choosing to go to Hollywood Studios for two days instead of Magic Kingdom because of these issues, and because it's the only place our son cares about at the moment. But with a full day from rope drop to closing, I'm sure you'll be able to fit everything in! I paid for Touring Plans, since I'm not very experienced with this, and they do have me visiting the more popular rides later in the afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter