• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to book RCI using DVC points?

JohnGypsy

Needs giraffe at window every morning.
Ok, so, per my other thread -- I (along with many others) may soon be in a scenario where one of the few options to do something with some DVC points without losing them completely may be to convert them to RCI. So, I'm trying to learn more about how to do that -- without having to call Member Services so that others with more pressing issues can get through.

I haven't seen much of this in the past because the normal response is that it doesn't make financial sense to do this -- so just don't. But, that only works when you can do something else with your points, of course. :)

So -- can someone give some guidance on how this is supposed to work? Can I book any RCI? Or does it have to show up on the list of Destinations under the "World Collection - RCI" on the DVC site? I'm having trouble trying to get things to line up. I'll give you an example:

I log into the DVC site and go to the "World Collection - RCI" section and say that I just want to see things in the Caribbean. Just for grins, I search for the first match that is in the Bahamas and it shows "Bluewater At Guanahani Village" on New Providence Island and says that they have rooms from 80 points per week. (Note that I want less than that -- I only want like 3-4 nights.) So, let's say I want to look into reserving that location...

I then go to the section that links you over to RCI's site. I click through and now I'm at RCI. I go to "RCI Vacation Search" at the top and put in "bluewater" as the keyword. It finds some weird place in Texas. I go back and put in "Guanahani" in the keyword box -- and it finds nothing.

Ok, let's try another way. I try clicking on the map. I click on the Bahamas and it says that it has 6 locations there -- 3 of them on New Providence Island -- and none of them are that hotel.

So, am I doing something wrong? Or did I just get unlucky and randomly pick a location that is listed on the DVC site as an option, but is no longer part of RCI or something?

I did just check the 3 that are on the map at RCI and those DO show up on the DVC side, so maybe it was just a fluke...

So, I pick one of those instead just to take a look. And I see that I can search for weeks. But I'm supposed to be able to do days too, right? Is there any way to search for availability for certain days? Or do I have to do that by calling DVC Member Services?

Also, is it correct that if I do make this exchange and book via RCI with DVC points for, say, October -- but then I later decide that that doesn't work for me -- then I can reschedule for something else at RCI as long as I do it by the end of next year? Whatever points I exchanged just sit there at RCI and I can continue to use them to book something else in that timeframe, right?

Can I exchange however many points I want? Or only those that fit the reservation that I make at the time of the exchange? In other words, say that I have 75 DVC points that I'm going to lose, so I want to convert them to RCI. And I find like a 4 night stay that is going to cost me 65 RCI points. Can I still transfer in the full 75 with hopes of using them later? Or would I need to find something that takes as close to 75 as I can get to make the exchange (and then I could cancel that and have the full 75 just sitting in the RCI account)?

And, finally, my understanding is that, if I make this exchange and it works out and I book an RCI stay, my total costs are just the $95 exchange fee, correct? I don't pay any taxes or resort fees to RCI when I actually stay. Is that accurate? Or maybe varies by location?

Sorry for all the questions -- I appreciate the guidance on this. Completely new to us since normally I'm also one of the ones just going "Don't do it! There are better options to get the same thing for less!" But, in this case, we might be very limited. Just trying to salvage what I can. Thanks!

Apparently, Bluewater At Guanahani Village is now part of the BlueGreen Family of resorts which is why it's not showing on the RCI website.

Suggestion: Don't bother looking at the either the RCI Directory or DVC's World Collection list. Use only the available inventory once logged into RCI and using their inventory search tool. Once you find a list of available resorts and check-in dates then start to narrow your selection given whatever criteria works for you: resort reviews, ratings, dates, location, photos, etc.

And, finally, my understanding is that, if I make this exchange and it works out and I book an RCI stay, my total costs are just the $95 exchange fee, correct? I don't pay any taxes or resort fees to RCI when I actually stay. Is that accurate? Or maybe varies by location?
Incorrect.

Read the "Important Info" for each potential exchange before booking it. Each resort may charge a variety of fees including:
  • Resort taxes
  • Energy usage
  • "All Inclusive" fees for food & activities
  • Parking
  • Internet
  • Newspaper
  • etc.

Suggestion: Don't bother looking at the either the RCI Directory or DVC's World Collection list. Use only the available inventory once logged into RCI and using their inventory search tool. Once you find a list of available resorts and check-in dates then start to narrow your selection given whatever criteria works for you: resort reviews, ratings, dates, location, photos, etc.
Yes, this is how I found out what was available for next March in Hawaii! I tried to answer OPs question, but I got bogged down.

Same situation here. 300 points taken away unless switched into RCI. We always holiday for 2 weeks in Orlando (we’re from UK) so we’re wondering if we could get an RCI week in Orlando area but when I looked nothing available for the next 18 months. Florida (other) had plenty so I’m wondering if you are not allowed to book in Orlando area (I know RCI has loads in the area). Anyone know please???

Same situation here. 300 points taken away unless switched into RCI. We always holiday for 2 weeks in Orlando (we’re from UK) so we’re wondering if we could get an RCI week in Orlando area but when I looked nothing available for the next 18 months. Florida (other) had plenty so I’m wondering if you are not allowed to book in Orlando area (I know RCI has loads in the area). Anyone know please???

My understanding is that DVC can not access Orlando area trades.

I just put my 100 OKW points into RCI.
I only had 5 days until I would be unable to deposit into RCI . And waiting for DVC/DVD, to do something about my 2019 points(According to member services upper management was deciding what to do about the people that had to cancel due to the COVID-19 pandemic and vacation cancellations), I felt I could not wait any long. I was really hoping DVC was going to say something .

Yeah, we're about to do the same in a couple of days. Seems the reasonable option at this point.

Oh -- hey -- I hear that they may be waiving the $95 fee -- did the waive that for you to move your points into RCI?

Oh -- hey -- I hear that they may be waiving the $95 fee -- did the waive that for you to move your points into RCI?
Yes, the fee was waved.
I have a June use year and I only had until April 17 to deposit into RCI or lose my points. I have until December 31,2022 to use my points in RCI.

This has been waived for years. Inbound exchangers now pay the outbound Member's portion. Each used to pay $95, but now the inbounds pay $190.

I just put my 100 OKW points into RCI.
I only had 5 days until I would be unable to deposit into RCI . And waiting for DVC/DVD, to do something about my 2019 points(According to member services upper management was deciding what to do about the people that had to cancel due to the COVID-19 pandemic and vacation cancellations), I felt I could not wait any long. I was really hoping DVC was going to say something .

At what point are you unable to transfer into RCI?

At what point are you unable to transfer into RCI?

Points need to be deposited 45 days before the end of the UY. You can go as late as 14 days but they become a lot more restricted,

Once you pass those dates, the points can not longer be deposited

Yes, the fee was waved.
I have a June use year and I only had until April 17 to deposit into RCI or lose my points. I have until December 31,2022 to use my points in RCI.
Same here. Was waiting to hear if DVC was going to do anything, but was running out of time and had them transfer our points.
2+ years should be enough time to find something.

Same here. Was waiting to hear if DVC was going to do anything, but was running out of time and had them transfer our points.
2+ years should be enough time to find something.

And, I have read you can pay $100 to extend an additional year if it’s not!

Does it matter if your points are banked from the previous year? Can those points be transferred to RCI or does it need to be non-banked points?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter