How to cope with missing a week of classes....to go to "you know where"?

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
When we booked our Disney trip, I did not have the slightest inkling that I would be enrolled in College. But here I am! I will be in my 4th week of my 1st semester that happens to be the most important one! I have to get 3.0 or better in each of my classes or I will get kicked out of the program (Vascular Technology). Also, the amount of days I will be missing is the EXACT amount allowed, I can't miss a single more day of each class other than my trip to Disney or I will get an "incomplete" for a grade... ie: kicked out! So...

How reasonable/understanding are most professors these days about missing a week of studies? Will they even consider giving me my assignments ahead of time and let me make up quizzes, papers, etc? Will it be better received since I'm a 30+ year old Mom who is taking her kids on a vacation... not some 18 year old who just can drag myself to class?? (fingers crossed). Let me know what I might expect, or what your best tips are for keeping up.

Thanks A Lot!! :flower:

Is there someone in the class that you can get the assignments from? I know when I was going to school I got a great job that required traveling. I told the teacher I had gotten my dream job and I still was dedicated to school. He said no problem. I was 42 at the time. I told him I would keep up with the work. I think if you are honest and show that you will do the work you won't have a problem.

I sorta understand how you feel. I'm looking at do the exact same thing next spring. The only difference is that I'll be 23 and in my 5th year of college. The best thing I can tell you is the same thing I'm planning on doing: 1) be upfront with your Profs at the beginning of the semester. I plan on talking to my profs the first day of class. 2) Stay ahead of everything before you go on the trip. and 3) be prepared to work your *** off after you get back!

Let me know how things work out with your classes and your trip, so I can get some clue as to what I'll be actually looking at next spring.

i did that this semester...The semester started second week of January and I was going on vacation the first week of February...I went to my profs the first day of classes and explained that i was going to Disney--They were all great and said have a great time...alot of my assignments were written on the syllabus, so i just did my work that i knew i would have..wasnt hard to make up either

Phew! That is a load off my mind, just knowing that I'm not the only one silly enough to attempt it. I've even been looking at options like moving the vac date to mid-August. That's not a great option since we rented points at OKW and have our flights already. I think I need to RELAX~!

I would be upfront with your profs in the beginning. I know they will understand and should be willing to give you the assignments ahead of time. Just make sure you are ahead in your readings so your aren't behind when you get back.

Like a lot of people already said, you need to talk with your profs ASAP. I missed a week of classes this semester (April 3rd - April 10) and I didn't miss all that much. I wasn't totally truthful with my profs because some of them can be real harsh if your just going on a "vacation" It just depends on the kind of person they are. I told them I was going out of the state for a family reunion and that I would really like to go with my family. (It was kinda like a fam reunion because there were 22 of us in Disney) They all toldme just to follow the syllabus and get the notes from people in class. Hopefully they will be as nice to you as they were to me. It made my trip a lot more relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter