How to explain WDW vs DLR to a child...

Jessica Furukawa

Earning My Ears
Ok, so total first world problems here, but, I’m looking for some ideas on how to explain WDW to my DLR kids. They’ve never been to WDW so when I tell them about it while we plan for our trip, they keep correcting me and telling me “it’s DISNEYLAND! NOT Disney World!” Haha! The scale is just so much bigger, they’re going to be blown away! How do I explain that to a 4yo (who loves DLR)?!?

you show them videos for disney world also while disneyland and dca are only two parks WDW is four parks. Also don't know what state your in but show them what sate you are going to CA and FL are on the other side one is west and the other east

Let them call it Disneyland! In a few years they’ll say, “Hey Mom! Remember when I thought Disney World was called Disneyland? Boy did I have a lot to learn!” It’ll be a fun memory.

How do I explain that to a 4yo (who loves DLR)?!?

you show them videos for disney world also while disneyland and dca are only two parks WDW is four parks. Also don't know what state your in but show them what sate you are going to CA and FL are on the other side one is west and the other east

I agree with all this, especially getting a map! Geography is sorely lacking in most of our schools today, and anything that gets kids interested in it at home (like locating the Disney parks :wizard:) is a plus in my book!

Then I would start by explaining that there are 4 parks in Florida - just like he/she is 4! - because Disney had a lot more space to build things there, and that Magic Kingdom is a lot like Disneyland, but there are some other parks too. Then explain about Epcot (more geography!), Animal Kingdom, and DHS.

I'm a total math geek, so I'd probably be drawing diagrams or something, but you don't have to go that far! :rotfl: There are a ton of videos on line about all the parks, and I'm sure you can find a map of the resort area that shows everything together. (It might help to label it Walt Disney World, too, so it doesn't sound as much like Disneyland.)

Definitely check Amazon or your local library for a book geared to kids as well. When DS was 5, we had (an older version of) this one:

426689 Barnes & Noble

I had to explain this. I showed them videos (the old park planning DVDs). What made it click for them was seeing Epcot and Animal Kingdom, as well as the water parks, because we don't have anything like those parks here at Disneyland.

I will say, though, my oldest son was SERIOUSLY confused at MK because it was sort of the same, but not. Like, he knew his way around Disneyland really well at age 5, but when we went to MK, he had a meltdown (he's autistic) because the tea cups and train station were "in the wrong place." Poor kid felt so confused. His favorite park at WDW ended up being Epcot. We don't spend too much time at MK when we go to WDW. We basically go to ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Big Thunder Mountain (it's a mirror image of DLs) and the Speedway, because it's a "race track."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter