• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to get pre-boarding on airlines?

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
We will be flying with DS (autistic) and would like to know how we get pre-Boarding for him and how it works? It will be DS, DH and I. We will be flying US Airways on the way to Orlando and Southwest on the way back home.

I've never done it with US Airways but with other airlines I check with the attendants at the gate never had a problem

On Southwest just go to the agent at the gate counter and say that your DS has a medical condition that requires extra time to board. The only uestion that they will ask is if you need assistance going down the jetway. They will give the passenger a blue sleeve that allows that passenger to pre-board, along with one person to assist.

When we check our bags in at the ticket counter we let them know that we need extra time to board, and when we reach the gate we make sure to check in again at the gate counter to touch base with them also. We have not had any problems getting extra time to board. :)

Same story as most people have already used here, I just make sure that I let people on the ground know beforehand (give them some time, do not just say it 3 minutes before boarding if at all possible) and they will sort it all out for you. Never had a problem so far.

I've only flown southwest and delta, so can't speak for all airlines, but just go to the counter when you get to your gate and let them know your son has a medical issue and requires extra time to board. They may let your whole family preboard or just let one person accompany him. Be prepared for southwest to allow all passengers with young children needing extra time to board at the same time as medical (I have experienced this twice, and it basically defeated the point of preboarding since there are so many small kids traveling to WDW). They'll make an announcement when its time for preboarding, something along the lines of "we're going to begin boarding for those passengers requiring extra time". You could be on the plane 10 minutes before general boarding, or 2 if they're running behind.

I've only flown southwest and delta, so can't speak for all airlines, but just go to the counter when you get to your gate and let them know your son has a medical issue and requires extra time to board. They may let your whole family preboard or just let one person accompany him. Be prepared for southwest to allow all passengers with young children needing extra time to board at the same time as medical (I have experienced this twice, and it basically defeated the point of preboarding since there are so many small kids traveling to WDW). They'll make an announcement when its time for preboarding, something along the lines of "we're going to begin boarding for those passengers requiring extra time". You could be on the plane 10 minutes before general boarding, or 2 if they're running behind.

with Southwest their policy us to allow person with need to pre board along with one other person to provide assistance additional members of family áre asked to board as noted on the boarding passes.

Not the same but it may help: I just called SW customer service (got number from website) and quickly talked to a real person - this was for wheelchair service (which includes prebording) and she noted it on the reservation so I at least feel better about chances for my relative getting this service. They were very pleasant and the phone wait was minimal.

I've flown on many airlines and usually as long as you talk to someone at the gate you'll be fine. I've had a couple times where they "forgot" about me and they asked disabled to board and while I was making my way over there they started calling the first group, but usually they let me go in with them anyway, but it may not be a bad idea to be near the door when they're getting ready to board so they can see you.

with Southwest their policy us to allow person with need to pre board along with one other person to provide assistance additional members of family áre asked to board as noted on the boarding passes.

Not my experience.

We flew with Southwest in August and took 3 different flights. We had no issues at all with all 3 of us (myself, DH and DS) pre-boarding together. I went to the gate and spoke to the agent there. Twice I was directed to go and talk to the agents at a Southwest customer service desk to get a pre-boarding pass and once I got the pass at the actual gate. The one time I just had to go to the gate was at a smaller airport. The two larger ones had the central desk. At no point were we told that only one of us could accompany our son and that the other would have to wait.

Every time I went and spoke to them, I politely explained that my son would benefit from being able to pre-board and told them why and I did not experience any negativity at all. Quite an easy process.

Not my experience.

We flew with Southwest in August and took 3 different flights. We had no issues at all with all 3 of us (myself, DH and DS) pre-boarding together. I went to the gate and spoke to the agent there. Twice I was directed to go and talk to the agents at a Southwest customer service desk to get a pre-boarding pass and once I got the pass at the actual gate. The one time I just had to go to the gate was at a smaller airport. The two larger ones had the central desk. At no point were we told that only one of us could accompany our son and that the other would have to wait.

Every time I went and spoke to them, I politely explained that my son would benefit from being able to pre-board and told them why and I did not experience any negativity at all. Quite an easy process.
We were also able to board with 3 of us (DH, DD and myself) on Southwest (and actually on every airline we have ever flown).

DD uses a wheelchair and can't walk. We had called the airline to discuss ahead of time because we had heard that their general rule was one person to accompany the person with the disability. On one Southwest flight we were told it was only one person, but when we explained that both of us were needed, they were fine with it. DH would be getting DD into the plane and getting her settled while I got her wheelchair ready to go into baggage.

I have read people's experiences where they were only allowed to have one person board with the disabled person. I can see that they might limit the number if the group is larger than 3; every experience I have heard of where the party was split up had at least 4 people.

I've flown southwest a few times 4 to 5 people and have always all pre boarded

We have almost always had luck with SW allowing all 4 of us to board together with my son who has special needs. I think the one time they asked only 1 attendant to board with him, they encouraged us to save seats for the other 2....I explained that we wanted to avoid our son bothering anyone by kicking their seat.

Just flew SW this trip. Flight down all 5 preboarded. First flight back they allowed my oldest with her dad and said the other 3 could go with family boarding. We were in section A which was sooner, so we just boarded then. The second leg if the flight home they let all 5 go.

We just got back from our trip to Disneyland and flew Southwest. We have numerous flights on both Southwest and Delta. My DD has always requested to pre-board at the customer service desk by the gate.

With Southwest we used to receive a "blue pre boarding sleeve" and it was announced as such. However, this time they stapled a "pre board" piece of paper to my DD's boarding pass.

I have never had problem pre boarding when there has been 3 of us traveling. I am sure they would say something if there were like 7 of us trying to pre board.

Just flew SW this trip. Flight down all 5 preboarded. First flight back they allowed my oldest with her dad and said the other 3 could go with family boarding. We were in section A which was sooner, so we just boarded then. The second leg if the flight home they let all 5 go.
I think it probably depends on the size of the group and how many groups they are expecting to preboard.

On our last trip to Orlando, they said there were do many children on board that they were only doing preboarding for children 2 and under

Anyone have experience with JetBlue? They are only letting one person board with my son. We're only a party of three.. Wish they would make an exception.

I've flown JetBlue several times and they never restricted us we were 5 last time unlike southwest it's assigned seats so it isn't like you won't be able to sit together

The first time I booked a flight, they had us all together preboarding with disability seating. This time they said only one other person can preboard with my son with disability seats. I tried two different agents who said the same thing. Dh is assigned several rows behind. Here's hoping DS doesn't flip out that his dad is sitting separately. I will try to prepare him beforehand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter