How to invite extra attention from CMs and guests for a 1st Timer?

cobright

DIS Veteran
We’re bringing a 1st timer on a short trip in May. She’s a young adult and… she’s never had a vacation before or really a childhood to speak of. She sees WDW as a place to entertain children and is happy to humor me and enjoy the rides and food, but does not expect to experience anything like Disney magic.

So I figured getting her a 1st Time pin would be a start. I remember how much fun my own kids had, as children, wearing a birthday button and CMs coming out of woodwork to call my daughter Princess. That would be expecting too much, I know. CMs will see a 21 year old lady and provide a more demure social interaction if any at all. Thing is, I think she might like the little kid treatment, if just for a day or two. She’s never had it.

She’s a family friend and something of a protégé. I would describe the relationship as avuncular, so I feel comfortable taking some very mild liberties that might push her outside her comfort zone just a little. This isn’t like the time I told three restaurants in a row that it was my daughters birthday so they would all come out and sing at the table.

Disney Bounding :)

I'm a solo female in my 40's and on my January trip to Disneyland I got so much random CM interaction. I wore different outfits on each day but the day I got most interactions was the day I wore my Tangled / Rapunzel outfit.

Honestly the age of the person makes no difference, its the fact that you stand out in someway. Disneyland is so crowded and the cm's see so many people in a shift and people just blend in to a people soup. But look a bit different and the cm's will notice.

Lumierie.jpg

So many CM's commented on my outfit, from my mask to my tiara and many cm's said hello Princess when greeting me at rides or in shops.

The buttons are a great way too but they need to worn in a place where they are easily seen. I had a button on my bag and the only people who commented on it were the security bag checkers as they were the only ones who saw my bag up close.

The only other time I got really good random cm interaction was the year I got my BA degree and wore the I'm Graduating Ear Hat and button. I stood out because I don't look like a Highschool grad so even random people in ride lines said congratulations to me and asked me about graduating.

She's 21. I think trying to make her draw attention to herself could backfire; she might end up hating it.

My advice is to do something to draw attention to you. If cast members respond, she will see the Disney magic but won't be personally subjected to it in case it makes her uncomfortable. So find a hat or other accessory which might make castmembers speak up when they see you. If she thinks it's fun, you could offer to let her wear it.

Also, people have reported that since the parks re-opened after COVID, the castmembers have not been spreading as much magic as in the past. Could be they are overworked, could be the parks are overcrowded, could be a trickle down from Cheapak's attitude that it's all about the $$$ and not guest satisfaction. So you might not want to go in with high expectations.

So, I have been called Princess more times in my 30's and 40's than I would have expected at WDW, so I would not rule it out. See if you can get her to meet a character. My mom thought during our 2010 trip that our character meal would be okay and was for my sister, then Mad Hatter sat down and talked with her for 5 minutes looking at the picture they took before we sat down to eat. My dad on our DCL cruise kept running into characters while he was walking around solo and always was excited to come back and tell us about them. I still tend to take a step back for my sister to meet characters, but then something happens where the character makes certain to include me. Example: Minnie Mouse taking my camera out of my hands and handing it to my sister to take my picture with Minnie even though I had not planned to have mine taken.

As for just the casual conversations, which I really treasure, sometimes it is just something I am wearing that they notice. I was using a decorated retractable badge holder to carry my MB fob and I got so many comments which lead to conversations. I sometimes make my own Ears, just simple ones with Disney fabric for the ears, but usually a CM comments on them or asks about them. If your friend likes any unique Disney characters, maybe try and find a shirt or ears with that character. I find unique, or rare characters, get the most comments.

Also, I have sometimes worn clothing items local to my home, Cincinnati-Dayton area, that have had CMs make comments, especially if they are from the area. My sister once wore a HP shirt that said "I solemly swear I am up to no good" and CM at AKL made sure to comment that she must be a trouble maker and he needed to watch her. He then made comments about watching her whenever he saw her.

My husband went to Disney for the first time when he was 30. He wore the button for a few days, and he got a lot of “welcomes” and excited character interactions.

Character interactions are fantastic for some “magic.” She may be more comfortable with non-face characters- I don’t know why, but that’s how I am.

I have gotten (as recent as March) lots of really great interactions from a cast members noticing something specific I was wearing. I have this shirt I made that says “to dream the impossible dream” and an image of a duck, like from that Disneyland Paris commercial, and every time I wear it I get at least one cast member commenting on it.

Lead by example! Wear some ears and a Disney tee shirt... then greet every CM you meet... most are just delightful and if you are friendly and approachable, they will respond in kind. Your young lady may want to "play", too... but if not perhaps a bit of the magic will rub off. And don't forget a big hello for any characters you happen to encounter.

Hey, I'll be 70 this summer and I definitely follow my own advice :teeth:

I would recommend an ear headband. Not too expensive if she turns out not to like it, but we always get comments from CMs and other guests on our ears (or Loungefly bags). She may feel silly until she gets into the park and sees grown men with full beards and mouse ears ;P

My daughter always gets us some Lost Bros shirts to wear at the park. That always seems to draw attention from CM's and other park guests. We usually get a handful of compliments on the shirts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter