How to make $2000 in 6 months?

I don't understand why. Do you not put gas into the second vehicle currently? Wouldn't your gas budget from car 2, just transfer to car 1 to account for the extra driving?

Because most of my children's local appointments and activities are within 15 km of home and I drive a small car which is easy on gas. My husband drives a truck and works 50 km away. It would be my vehicle we drop, not his as he needs it. So if I have to drive him to work and pick him up, that alone is an extra 100 km in driving that we would not have been doing otherwise, which is not cheap. I need the vehicle on average 3 days a week. Then the extra fuel costs for my regular driving. It adds up rapidly.

I know this is apparently just shocking for some people to believe, but we have run the numbers to the penny and it does not save us money.

Furthermore, money aside, we can NOT go with one vehicle. We just can't. We have two children with special needs, I need a car for therapy, appointments, some of which are overnight, out of province. Our daughter is often in agony in the morning with her bowel disorder. So no, getting my children up at 6 am to have them on the road at 7 am to spend an hour driving my husband to work, while my daughter is curled up in pain in the backseat, soiling herself, is not possible .

So will everyone please drop the car.

Last edited:
Never thought of it actually! How does that normally work? Pop in twice a day to feed/water/let them out etc?
We normally have a friend look in on our animals while we’re away. This trip will be 10 days so we are paying someone about $150 to take care of our cat in our home. They will come twice a day to feed and play, and change her litter. It could be a good opportunity for you.

Because most of my children's local appointments and activities are within 15 km of home and I drive a small car which is easy on gas. My husband drives a truck and works 50 km away. It would be my vehicle we drop, not his as he needs it. So if I have to drive him to work and pick him up, that alone is an extra 100 km in driving that we would not have been doing otherwise, which is not cheap. I need the vehicle on average 3 days a week. Then the extra fuel costs for my regular driving. It adds up rapidly.

I know this is apparently just shocking for some people to believe, but we have run the numbers to the penny and it does not save us money.

Furthermore, money aside, we can NOT go with one vehicle. We just can't. We have two children with special needs, I need a car for therapy, appointments, some of which are overnight, out of province. Our daughter is often in agony in the morning with her bowel disorder. So no, getting my children up at 6 am to have them on the road at 7 am to spend an hour driving my husband to work, while my daughter is curled up in pain in the backseat, soiling herself, is not possible .

So will everyone please shut up about the damn car.

Sometimes I think people in urban areas don't know what it's like in suburbia or in rural areas. There's no way we could drop a car either. Just not the mass transit to fill the void.

I am in Canada as well, this is what I am doing...we have very few options here and pay more for our trips because of the exchange rate.

We are going at the end of Sept. I collect Optimum points, but that's for Xmas....not enough time to save $ after we return. CH51 is also for Xmas. Petro Points take awhile to add up, but I have dh and dd helping now. I am hoping to have enough for 1 nt at the hotel near the airport so we don't have to get up as early.....I'm 1/2 way to free!

I budget $300/wk for groceries ( I have a home childcare, so 5 toddlers, my DH, 24 dd, 14 dd who are both vegetarians $$) and me. If I can price match and coupon( the states is way better for this!!) I can save maybe $20 that I bank every week.

When roasting chickens are on sale, I buy two. Its dinner, lunch, soup the next day and sandwiches for dh at work. My girls just eat the veggies cooked with it. I can stretch it for two days.

On FB Marketplace I have been selling things that we don't use at all, I'm at about $220 now.

I'm hoping our Income Tax will have a little refund to help too :)

I applied for a Home Trust Visa, saving me the 2.9% in foreign transfer fees.

I am going over to Sam's this weekend, joining then buying a $500 Disney card that will cost less with their discount. If I can do this a few times it will really help bring my balance down. The trick is to go over and not have dinner at Olive Garden!!!

We are also going to Universal one day, both dd's are HP fans.....so I'll buy the tickets from Undercover Tourist to save a bit there.

I've booked POR from Disney with the dining plan, but I will also order a few things for the room from garden grocer.

Both girls and DH birthdays are before our trip, I've already ordered brita water bottles in colours that match their magic bands....so no buying expensive water at the parks! :) I've also bought 2 Disney tshirts and jewellery as gifts....no expensive souveniers….they can buy their own.

That's it so far, I know we can't do any of the savings that our friends down south can do, and we pay so much more....but I try to do what I can!

A site that I often visit when I'm trying to cut expenses is www.theprudenthomemaker.com. She has many suggestions on her blog and website, and her followers (who live all over the world) share their own ideas too. She actually has a post called "Cutting Expenses (When You Think You Have Nothing Left To Cut)." Of course, not every suggestion works for every person - but maybe there are a few that would be helpful.

There is an old thread on the DIS you could search for called something like "Best Painless Stretching Things." Although we are pretty careful with our utilities, etc., I found several ideas to implement from this thread.

As far as earning money - it seems like Facebook Marketplace is gaining more traction in our area (West Michigan) than Craiglist. You'd be surprised what you can sell and how fast it goes! I have one friend who religiously shops at thrift stores and re-sells the items.

Good luck and good vibes coming your way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter