How to make last Dis trip count and avoid being sad?

We have taken breaks from Disney through the years and always end up going back. Our son is in college not but still enjoys Disney....and we are going back in jan. 2019 for another family trip. It may be the last trip for a while.....but it does not have to be the final trip. :)

Just know that being sad about missing the world is 100% normal. Don't worry, you're not alone!

I had a trip where I teared up on the tram back to the truck. I felt so silly and tried to hold back as best I could. The previous trip, I was fine with leaving because I knew I'd be back within a year (I had to get 2 trips out of that annual pass). I was exhausted and ready to be back home to my dog, but I wasn't ready to leave because I didn't know when I'd be back. THAT'S the part that makes me sad. If I have another trip to look forward to, I'm ok with leaving. Even if that trip is 2 years away, I can hold it together since I have something to look forward to. This next trip is going to be hard because we're looking at buying a house and possibly starting a family, so Disney funds will be limited. I know I'll be back because I just can't stay away from Disney, but it's going to be a tough goodbye.

DH and I discussed this the other night and happily he promised me we would be back, with or without our son :) Hope to be back some day with potential grandkids but I'm just so happy that my DH would consider going back, even if it was just with me. I think he may love Disney almost as much as me which I was surprised by :)

I did an eleven year gap between trips once and can promise you that (at least in my experience) the magic never goes away. It's always there to welcome you back. And I think in a lot of ways being away for so long made me enjoy it all the more when I finally got to return.

You've already gotten the advice I would have given, but I'll reiterate -- always assume you'll go back. Everywhere you go on a trip, always assume you'll be able to come back someday, because if it's what you really want you'll make it happen, even if it's years or decades later, even if you're at a totally different stage of your life and the way you travel has changed entirely. It makes it so much easier to enjoy the "now" when you aren't stressing about making it The One Perfect Last Experience. And yeah, I'm with others who don't go all that frequently. It's every couple of years for me at most, and that's super okay.

The other thing that I've found staves off travel blues is to start planning the next trip before I've even gone on the one that's coming up. I used to start planning right when I got back, but even that gives too much time to feel down about it being "over." On our trip to Disneyland last fall I had my solo cruise in January to look forward to. On my cruise in January I already had a plan for my upcoming trip to Europe this fall and knew it was just a matter of coming home and making arrangements in the coming month. I'm still half a year out from Europe, but I'm already working with my housemate to build plans for a cruise in 2019. It won't always be that monumental, but knowing not just that there will be other trips, but knowing specifically what adventures are coming up, makes it easier to avoid bad feelings about a trip coming to an end.

Hi there- extremely looking forward to what will most likely be our last trip to Disney, but as I'm sitting here listing to Disney music I'm having an overwhelming sense of nostalgia and sadness knowing that this will be our last trip with our son. It's not that we don't want to go back, there are just so many other vacations that we want to take before he goes off to college so I think Disney will be on the back burner for awhile. I really want to enjoy every moment of this trip and really be present but I'm struggling already with the fact that I'll be crushed when it's all over. I know that's irrational and crazy and I am very blessed to be going at all, but I need some advice on how to enjoy the week that we are there and not think about the reality that we won't be back.

Hi - we are taking our last high school trip next year too! I want to experience it as a celebration and thankful for all the trips I did get to take with my daughter. Definitely get a Celebrate button for the whole family and pick a fun restaurant - we went to O'hana's last trip during firework time and we still rave about how much fun we had! I agree with the others, it might be the last trip of his childhood, but I'm sure you'll have plenty more trips in the future after college. Heck, my daughter and I are hoping we can visit one Christmas while she's in college. Enjoy your upcoming trip and cherish the time with your son - Disney magic will bring you some special memories.

You never know what will happen. I went to Magic Kingdom and Epcot once each as a child (2 separate trips) and then we went many other places. Last year after I had been going to Disney as an adult my parents suddenly wanted to go. We had a great time and have plans to go again in Sept. So there might be a gap of many years, but you can go with them again.

Our kids are all grown and on their own and we go now more than ever. Sometimes they join us sometimes they don`t... its just as fun either way.

Thanks everyone! I've been thinking more about this and I think what I'll miss is the planning process and all of the excitement leading up to the trip. Of course, there will be plenty of planning for other trips (especially if we go cross country) but the Dis planning is an event in and of itself and just so unique. Love that I have so much support from other Disney fans and it's fun to share the excitement!

Don't forget that school groups love to go to Disney, so even if your family trips venture elsewhere, you may still end up at Disney. DD's band may be going twice in the next 3 years, so even though I'm not planning a real family trip, I am planning a trip where we will be there at the same time.

We also do lots of other things together - right now, we are trying to see great shows, so we have been to Chicago and New York (where we visited Disney Stores and pretended we had just finished a great ride, because you always get to go in a gift shop after a great ride!) recently and will be seeing artists in Atlanta and New Orleans this year. I planned LOTS for those trips and even used some messages boards to gather info. I broke out the same spreadsheet format I use for Disney and everything!

If it makes you feel any better, I now go to Disney with my family more as an adult than I did as a kid. I grew up loving Disney (only went twice or so as a kid) and once I was old enough, I started going with my friends and boyfriend. Then my mother and I decided to go to celebrate her retirement. That started us off again and we will be going on our 3rd trip together this fall. And yes, we even convinced the entire family to go down there for my wedding. It might be a pause right now, but WDW is great for so many phases of your life that you just might find yourself a regular again.

And if you love planning the trips, perhaps you could share your mad planning skills with others who want to visit WDW?

Do what I do....take it all in. The sights ...the smells........ everything! Whether I am on the boat or the bus or a park ride I live in the moment.
I never take out my phone to film ....................I truly LIVE in the moment as it is happening.

If I want to re-live the ride I can watch someone elses video on YouTube when I get home from my trip. Ha!

Hi there- extremely looking forward to what will most likely be our last trip to Disney, but as I'm sitting here listing to Disney music I'm having an overwhelming sense of nostalgia and sadness knowing that this will be our last trip with our son. It's not that we don't want to go back, there are just so many other vacations that we want to take before he goes off to college so I think Disney will be on the back burner for awhile. I really want to enjoy every moment of this trip and really be present but I'm struggling already with the fact that I'll be crushed when it's all over. I know that's irrational and crazy and I am very blessed to be going at all, but I need some advice on how to enjoy the week that we are there and not think about the reality that we won't be back.

An adults trip can be lots of fun. Yes you many not come back quite as often but it doesn't mean it's over. Mine wanted to celebrate his college graduation with a Disney Trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter