How to spend a long day non park day with no resort

Pyxie

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure if this goes here or not, but since it is kind of related to resorts, I'm putting it here.

My brother and I are coming down for his birthday in November. On our check-out day, we don't have anything planned except for maybe a late breakfast/brunch somewhere and possibly Disney Springs (but he would definitely not be able to hang all day there). We will of course have to be out of the room by 11:00am, but our flight that night isn't until 9:18pm (out of Sanford) because that was the only time available within the price range we were trying to stay in.

I personally wouldn't have any trouble finding things to do that day, but my brother can get somewhat impatient or irritable if he doesn't have a place to relax. He's definitely not a go-go-go person like I can be sometimes.

Does anyone have suggestions of low-key relaxing places to kill some time after we've checked out of the resort? And my brother is not a pool person, so a pool day wouldn't work. I even considered booking a day use hotel somewhere nearby so he can just nap as that would still be cheaper than an earlier flight, but really I am planning that as a last resort.

Thanks!

Well, you’re considered a guest of the hotel and of the WDW Resort until midnight of check out day, so you’d be welcome to linger in the lobby or in another quiet room at your resort. You also wouldn’t be kicked out of a quiet room at another resort, like the library at Riviera or the Belle Vue Lounge at Boardwalk. None of them will be private, though, and probably wouldn’t be suitable for napping, just for quiet conversation or reading or something quiet on your phone. How about riding different forms of transportation, e.g. Skyliner from DHS to CBR to Epcot, boat back to DHS, bus to MK, boat to GF to Poly to MK, boat MK to WL and back?

Where are you staying? There are a lot of deluxe resorts that have quiet areas in/near their lobbies. I have spent a lot of check in/out days relaxing at CR, WL/BRV, Poly, etc. If you are planning to do DS, you could leave your bags with bell services, go shopping, come back for a rest and dinner, then head to the airport.

If you are staying at a mod or value, the options are more limited. In that case, would you consider taking in a movie at DS? If your brother wants to nap, a pair of earplugs might be needed, but at least it would be cool and dark.

I would look to do a nice sit down breakfast and maybe do some time at Disney Springs. I like to go go go at Disney but for the most part, I am not a big shopper. I will say I find resort crawls on the skyliner or monorail pretty low key. The nice part of November is that you can spend time outdoors without feeling like you need to retreat to indoors. That will be a plus. You could also skip DS if he's not into shopping and do mini golf over by the Swan/Dolphin and then do a boardwalk crawl. You could also try to resort hop if possible from DS and visit a few resorts with nice holiday decorations. I get it you won't want to be running around but you could maybe pick 1 or 2 nice spots, plan to grab a bite and just sit and chill. Most of mod/deluxe resorts always have pretty quiet areas spread out around property.

I personally wouldn't have any trouble finding things to do that day, but my brother can get somewhat impatient or irritable if he doesn't have a place to relax. He's definitely not a go-go-go person like I can be sometimes.
This seems like a perfect opportunity to have brunch and catch a matinee at a movie theater.

Take WDW transportation to Animal Kingdom Lodge to sit outside enjoying animals on the savannah.
Enjoy a leisurely boat ride from Disney Springs to Port Orleans.
Wander to the campgrounds and watch the horses.

Where are you staying? There are a lot of deluxe resorts that have quiet areas in/near their lobbies. I have spent a lot of check in/out days relaxing at CR, WL/BRV, Poly, etc. If you are planning to do DS, you could leave your bags with bell services, go shopping, come back for a rest and dinner, then head to the airport.

If you are staying at a mod or value, the options are more limited. In that case, would you consider taking in a movie at DS? If your brother wants to nap, a pair of earplugs might be needed, but at least it would be cool and dark.

We're at All Star Music so not really many options there. But I'm planning on brunch at Boma so we can check out AKL and I'm also thinking of taking him to Trader Sam's that afternoon because I do think he'd enjoy that and the Poly is pretty low key.

You could request a late check out perhaps. It is at discretion of hotel, but they will often grant an extra hour.

Sometimes the Disney hotels used to be willing to go later for a fee, but I don't know if they still offer that at all. Many non-Disney hotels offer late check out, too. Especially if you are willing to pay a fee.

Will you have transportation? There are MANY things to do in the Orlando area that are not theme parks. Some are even free.

The Visit Orlando website has a long list of options. There are a number of FL state parks that might not be listed. With transportation, you could even visit the shore, but FL has a number of very nice state and national parks, too. You don't even have to get too crazy. Silver Springs Park is less than 2 hours from WDW, is amazing, and has a relaxing glass bottom boat ride that was lots of fun, and not at all taxing. The park has some paved walkways and places to sit to watch wildlife just a short walk from main entrance.

You could pack a deck of cards or some other game perhaps if you want something even easier.

We're at All Star Music so not really many options there. But I'm planning on brunch at Boma so we can check out AKL and I'm also thinking of taking him to Trader Sam's that afternoon because I do think he'd enjoy that and the Poly is pretty low key.
I think that’s a great idea - try to get to Poly by 2 pm to get on the list and be in the first wave of people to get in at 3 pm. You will have some time to kill at Poly but it’s really chill there. Between Boma and Poly you’ve pretty much filled up your day.

Besides animal viewing I have also spent time wandering the halls at AKL because they have interesting native artwork scattered throughout. In addition to Trader Sams, Geyser Point at WL is a nice place to hang out and have a drink/bite to eat. Take the boat over from MK, maybe explore the WL a little too. There is also a boat from Poly to MK, so you could do both lounges in whatever order.

I did something similar last year, stayed at Universal in Dec and transferred to the Swan for 2 nights to do MVMCP and then spend a day in Epcot, and my last partial day resort hopping. Resorts probably not decorated yet for Christmas in November however.

AKL Jambo has a lot of areas to chill. There the lobby, a round room off the lobby by DVC stand that looks over a savanna area. There 2 overlooks on each side of the lobby, go out the door for a covered overlook w rocking chairs. If you go down the wings, there are displays of various African art and Savannah overlooks with seating. You can go out to the viewing areas, they’re flamingos by the pool.

There’s bowling, movie theater in DS. Mini golf. Take the bus to HS and do the Skyliner loop.

I second the idea of AKL. Hop over to Kidani, get Sanaa bread service to go, and sit and relax. Between Jambo and Kidani, you could re-locate several times and find places to chill with a view.

1. You can use your resort's pool all day, and just shower and change in the bathroom when you're done.

2. Geyser Point at Wilderness Lodge would be a great bar to go relax at for a few hours.

3. You could also grab some chair on the Polynesian beach and get drinks from the pool bar, which has a window accessible to non-guests.

Since you have brunch at Boma then you can easily spend the rest of your time at AKL, between the great lobby, pool area and the different areas (inside and outside) to view the Savannah and before you know it, it will be time to head to the airport. Make sure to leave to the airport early because you never know when the Orlando area traffic will be backed up big time day or night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter