How to stretch eggs

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Weird thought but here we are, not enough eggs to go around so tricks and recipes much appreciated. Guess making protein a guest at meals is healthier anyway so I've decided to just go with it. Strange that I keep finding myself living like my grandparents did during the Depression in the 30s for no apparent reason.

I read that cornstarch could replace eggs in a recipe and wonder if it works, are there other tricks?

Grew up having simple meals for no meat Fridays so frying up a pan full of potatoes and dropping some scrambled eggs on top then slicing it up for sandwiches is very good.

Frozen onions and peppers sauteed' are amazing on a sandwich with a bit of egg scrambled with some milk.

I make a lot of quiche and frittata & picked up the habit of increasing taste and fluffiness by adding a good amount of ricotta and milk to the eggs.

My DD is allergic to eggs, so since her birth I’ve slowly changed the way I cook. At this point, I rarely buy them.

Applesauce and mashed bananas make good egg replacements in baked goods. Flaxseed can also be a decent egg replacement.

For frying things, I generally tend to use a flour/water slurry.

Just a PSA, if you do sub baking for people outside of family, mention you put something different in it. In my family half the people are allergic to apples. Apples are all over the place. I bought a blueberry pie. I figured safe. But I decided to double check. Nope, had apples/apple juice in it.

LOL. We're buying eggs to stretch our meat budget. There are empty slots at the store for sure, but Egglands best were on sale for $4.44 a dozen at the store yesterday. We frequently have breakfast for dinner, and at those prices, 4 eggs for dinner for 2 people works out to $1.48, still cheap protein compared to beef, pork, chicken and fish.

LOL. We're buying eggs to stretch our meat budget. There are empty slots at the store for sure, but Egglands best were on sale for $4.44 a dozen at the store yesterday. We frequently have breakfast for dinner, and at those prices, 4 eggs for dinner for 2 people works out to $1.48, still cheap protein compared to beef, pork, chicken and fish.

Same. There are no egg shortages here at all, and a dozen are still only $1.99 at Trader Joe's. I'm eating a lot more eggs than I used to.

I stretch by limiting DH to one egg with his breakfast (seriously). But then, I love flat one egg omelets anyway.

I'm going to use some of these suggestions, too.

Crazy when you think about how many eggs we all use and what worries me more, the restaurants and businesses. Never think about how important something like an egg is til you can't get it *due to cost. 😞

This world we have been living in the last 3 years is surreal. Eggs are supposed to be the cheap protein! I don't have any tips, I'm wasteful and eat mostly egg whites so I throw away half the egg but since they keep going up in price I've just been eating less.

As I showed in the big thread, 2 eggs over easy and 2 pieces of toast is $1.34 for breakfast. I have no need to try to stretch that out.

As an individual, you probably don't.

If I make eggs for my fam of 6, it's 18 eggs minimum (that's lunch - dinner would be 20-24), although probably not much more toast:). If they want eggs, they wants eggs...and at current prices, they aren't getting as many egg-focused meals...in 2023, chicken (which has been loss leading) has actually been cheaper as a main meal protein than eggs for them, and I can't remember the last time I've ever said that...

Eggs are cheap. What’s an egg cost? I never look. Even if they cost $1.50 each it’s a cheap breakfast to make an omelet out of 2 of them.

There weren’t any eggs of any brand at my Publix when I went shopping last week. I still had eggs that are well in date, so I didn’t need any, but I thought it was surprising that there weren’t any at all. I have seen them out of Egglands or out of store brand, but not out of everything. I won’t be going grocery shopping again until the beginning of the month, so hopefully there will be some available by then.

I don't remember the last time I bought eggs. Maybe Thanksgiving? Or soon after.

DD likes them, dh likes them. But I become ill smelling or eating just eggs.

We cook with them, but rarely make just eggs.

So they stretch quite far here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter