How to surprise DH/DW?

Maddle

DIS Veteran
I didn't want to hijack the thread on "Other Disney Destinations" but I was just wondering....how does someone "surprise" their DH (or DW) with a trip? This seems like an insurmountable project to me - how do you arrange for timeoff from work? How do you make plane reservations - are you ever concerned something might backfire and you would be stuck for a ticket or a deposit? At what point do you pop the surprise? Who packs the suitcase for said spouse?

I think this is a wonderful and generous idea, whether it is to Orlando, Paris or Tokyo, or even Atlantic City (okay - maybe I could pull that off for a weekend.) but I can't even imagine such a thing. I would be interested in hearing your experiences.

Maddle

DH has suprised me with trips before. One time he knew I had a 3 day weekend and he picked me up from work and we flew to the beach (total surprise). He planned it on his lunch breaks at work so I had no idea.
Othertimes we have a time scheduled to be off and he just decides to plan the trip and I don't know where until that day. (We travel alot so packing isn't really an issue, we have a set list of things to pack etc).

We (used to) do this quite often. The planning partner tells the other one that they are going away and when so that they can arrange the time of work. It works well this way!

Sometimes suitcases were packed, sometimes the other got mails saying...I'm going on a trip and I'm taking walking shoes or a swimsuit.. etc. Often with red herrings included or excluded (I once took DH to England and didn't tell him to pack his passport - I sneakily hid it myself!)

Once I booked a DCL cruise during our WDW holiday and said we'd be going to KSC and going to the beach and spending a night there....

It's great fun, wether you're on the planning end, or the receiving end!

jjpenguin

My first solo trip was a surprise gift from DH. He started planning it the previous fall for me to go in late April. He had everything sent to me in care of him at his work. He told me a week or two in advance so I took care of my own packing. The only problem was that he had casually mentioned DxL to me (where he'd made my hotel reservations) and he insists I said "Oh, no-I'd never want to stay there!" so he was very concerned about how that would work out. But I have no memory of saying that, and I loved it there.

Now that's true love, surprising you with a trip only for YOU!!

jjpenguin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter