How tone deaf was it for Disney to announce price increases right now?

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
Not that it is any surprise, but Disney announced sharply higher prices on a lot of food and drink items today. What do you think about the timing? None of us would have liked it no matter when they did it, but would it at least have looked better to do it closer to when they are actually reopening? What benefit is there to releasing that info now? Do they think people will forget about it by the time they're ready to open again? Maybe that's the case. It just seemed like in the midst of the pandemic isn't the best time to say, "Even though we're still closed and have no idea when we will reopen, here are all of our new jacked up prices for when you eventually come back."

Disney didn't announce it they quietly did it. Thats normally what happens. You just have blogs needing content and scouring for any changes in menus and what not.

I am surprised they did it already but not surprised at all it was done. It was going to happen whether we liked it or not. They likely are just workin on updating their systems. I am sure we will see more price changes in the coming days and weeks.

It’s completely tone deaf. Honestly, I have been reading about ABD, DVC and DCL being so slow on everything. Reading about ABD waiting until people were in route internationally to shut down tours. And yeah, they finally canceled the Hawaii cruises but it took the US border closing, Canada closing ports, Hawaii announcing a 14 day quarantine, and 38 plus crew infected on the Wonder.

I am not that impressed right now with Disney honestly.

It’s completely tone deaf. Honestly, I have been reading about ABD, DVC and DCL being so slow on everything. Reading about ABD waiting until people were in route internationally to shut down tours. And yeah, they finally canceled the Hawaii cruises but it took the US border closing, Canada closing ports, Hawaii announcing a 14 day quarantine, and 38 plus crew infected on the Wonder.

I am not that impressed right now with Disney honestly.
Like they discussed on the show Disney operates like several smaller companies. WDW does not equal DL does not equal DVC, DCL, ABD, and so on.

Didn't Pete say on the show that Disney would need to balance the books by charging more for almost everything when the parks re-open?
Disney is likely going to use several tactics. Increase in prices, package discounts like we have already seen, etc. One thing I don't think we will see unless some sort of drastic depression hits and they can't get people to the parks is any lowering of prices. They will discount before they would lower.

This may be a stupid question, but don’t they usually raise food prices around the same time as they set the prices for next year at the resorts? With everything closed, I would not be surprised to find out they are working on the 2021 pricing across the board. It’s hard to see on tickets because of the date based thing, but menus and rooms are easier. I belong to the camp that believes they will price as usual, but discount if occupancy is lower than expected.

Yes and no. They won’t be aware before they get there. But it will feed the narrative of “Disney is too expensive. I can’t believe how much things cost. It was $12 for a hot dog. We’re never doing that again.”

That's true, but that's after they get there. As Pete said on one of the shows the other day, Universal was getting lower attendance for years before HP opened, but they were upcharging for some things and increasing their bottom line with less guests. I think Disney is planning for the same

This may be a stupid question, but don’t they usually raise food prices around the same time as they set the prices for next year at the resorts? With everything closed, I would not be surprised to find out they are working on the 2021 pricing across the board. It’s hard to see on tickets because of the date based thing, but menus and rooms are easier. I belong to the camp that believes they will price as usual, but discount if occupancy is lower than expected.
There used to be very set times when they would increase pricing. Over the last couple years it’s become more frequent and less of a pattern.

Optics aren't great but price increases happen all the time and this will be forgotten about by the time the parks open - and people who do go when they open will be so happy to be there they won't even notice

It is also start of new fiscal quarter, not sure if that plays a role in the timing (this could have been planned for a while and only when "live" now)

Man, it takes some level of research (or boredom) to randomly search menus to see if items have been marked up in restaurants that may not even be open for months longer.

I mean, I have extra time on my hands, sure, but wow. And it's not a criticism, that's the job of bloggers, but still....that's DEEP.

i usually get on board against some of the cost cuts and price hikes but this one is on the customers. if people stopped paying these types of prices trust me, disney would react.

they know everyone's going to go absolutely nuts in the parks once they re-open. even if they have to offer a room discount, once they get the audience back in the park itself nobody is going to be second-guessing the prices of food/drink.

Man, it takes some level of research (or boredom) to randomly search menus to see if items have been marked up in restaurants that may not even be open for months longer.

I mean, I have extra time on my hands, sure, but wow. And it's not a criticism, that's the job of bloggers, but still....that's DEEP.

I mean for Disney blogs its literally their job to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter