• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How unpopular is your car?

Can you tell me how black ice works cause golly never driven on that :crazy: :crazy2:
As a motorcyclist back 20 years ago, I read a lot of safety stuff and black ice is patches of wet roadway that during the day may be shadowed, thus the water may be ice and you can't see it because of the shadows, thus also unexpected because it is sunny and the rest of the roadway is dry. Black ice is extremely detrimental to motorcyclists, but not so much for 4wheelers. Black ice doesn't affect 4wheel vehicles at all in fact.

Except in the past few years, the media has discovered and snatched onto the term "black ice" of which they report of it every morning in the winter now, in the morning where there isn't any sun yet, thus ice can not be invisible because of shadows and such. Black ice to the commoner is just ice with a fancy name. It really means nothing to most people except it now sounds scary.

As a motorcyclist back 20 years ago, I read a lot of safety stuff and black ice is patches of wet roadway that during the day may be shadowed, thus the water may be ice and you can't see it because of the shadows, thus also unexpected because it is sunny and the rest of the roadway is dry. Black ice is extremely detrimental to motorcyclists, but not so much for 4wheelers. Black ice doesn't affect 4wheel vehicles at all in fact.

Except in the past few years, the media has discovered and snatched onto the term "black ice" of which they report of it every morning in the winter now, in the morning where there isn't any sun yet, thus ice can not be invisible because of shadows and such. Black ice to the commoner is just ice with a fancy name. It really means nothing to most people except it now sounds scary.
Black ice (using that term) has been talked about in my area for as long as I've been alive and longer than that. Black ice occurs at all times of day and is different than normal ice that formed on the road; normal ice you can see, black ice is very difficult to see. Black ice can affect all vehicles. How your vehicle responds to it can vary based on the system but you can still slide and be impacted by it. That's a large reason why these vehicles are on the side of the road in my area. One time I saw a jeep entangled in the steel cables (it's driver's side wheel completely wrapped around the cables) used to divide the highway (as it can help with crashes to keep the vehicle from going to the other side) and it was just after a cloverleaf interchange. They were driving too fast for the conditions. Not that sedans don't have issues too but when I'm out in winter weather on average the vehicles driving too dangerously are ones who think the AWD or 4WD will make them not have any issues.

The dangerous part about black ice is because you cannot see it, you aren't bracing for it. You can think the road is relatively good in condition and thus drive too fast for it or merge too quickly or you're driving cautiously even and then all of a sudden you hit that patch of ice you couldn't see (as it's transparent and difficult to see). The 4WD and AWD are nice to have but they don't mean you won't be immune to mother nature. Where I live ice is what most people become concerned about at least it seems that way. We don't tend to have huge huge amounts of snow at one time but ice, especially under a layer of snow, especially since treatments are not as effective, and more become quite the topic. Ice, both normal and black ice, can be a persistent issue in my area with melting and refreezing occurring. A road can be mostly dry but with several spots of ice that just won't go away. It's also horrible on the road thus potholes are a normal part of life here every winter.

Every job is essential to the employee doing said job. My job is essential and if it's snowing here I still have to make the drive to work because I need to make a paycheck. I have to go to work no matter what.

I don't need to have 4WD/AWD for it though. My Mazda 3 with winter tires does just fine.

I drove all over the Midwest without any trouble in a sedan. Now, if you’re going off roading, then it makes sense. Of course, then you also want a way to deflate and inflate your tires.

Last edited:

I have a 2007 Toyota Solara convertible. Since it's 13 years old now I see less but I still see a few a week. I've only see one other one the same color combination as mine-- royal blue with a black top.

I bought a Subaru Ascent this spring and now I see Subarus everywhere. I was laughing that within a 24 hour period, I saw at least one of every color of my car (red, blue, white, silver, black, tungsten) while driving the 6 miles to and from my kids' school for drop off and pick up.

Ooh I have my eye on that model for my next vehicle, hopefully in about 3 years. How do you like it?

I bought a Subaru Ascent this spring and now I see Subarus everywhere. I was laughing that within a 24 hour period, I saw at least one of every color of my car (red, blue, white, silver, black, tungsten) while driving the 6 miles to and from my kids' school for drop off and pick up.

I have a Subaru as well and I've started to notice them everywhere. I don't know if they are selling more or I'm just noticing more but I'm seeing them all over.

My car is a 2011 so I don't see many of them specifically but I do see one or two a month.

Ooh I have my eye on that model for my next vehicle, hopefully in about 3 years. How do you like it?

Google Subaru ascent transmission problems. We almost bought one last summer, and after doing some research, we dodged a bullet. Maybe in 3 years, all the issues will be worked out. We have a 2012 Subaru Outback that has been problem free, so we figured the ascent would be too. Bought a 2019 pilot instead.

When we bought our new van 3 weeks ago, I was 100% set on buying an Ascent. I went and test drove one and it was a fantastic vehicle, but it just didn't have even close to the same cargo space with the 3rd row down as the Odyssey did. So, we ended up buying an new Odyssey.

I really like it, it is a huge tech upgrade from my 2010 Honda Pilot. It handles really well, has good pick up (the slight turbo lag took me a few weeks to adjust to when you hit the gas vs the v6 instant acceleration of my Pilot) and is comfortable for short and long trips. I have zero regrets in buying it (I looked at every similarly sized SUV on the market).

Google Subaru ascent transmission problems. We almost bought one last summer, and after doing some research, we dodged a bullet. Maybe in 3 years, all the issues will be worked out. We have a 2012 Subaru Outback that has been problem free, so we figured the ascent would be too. Bought a 2019 pilot instead.

Yes, the early 2019 had transmissions issues (new model, first year issues) but I've not talked to anyone who had issues who were not made whole by Subaru (either transmission replacement or replaced the car via lemon law). Every car has issues-my Pilot had significant transmission issues that Honda finally fixed after the car after it went into safety mode a few times- ever have your car drop from driving speed on the highway to a max of 35 mph with no warning? I have, thanks Honda. The current complaints I hear about the Ascent are that the windows crack easily and the battery drains if you leave the trunk open for 30+ minutes. My friend who has a new Honda minivan is experiencing radio/electrical issues that has been reported multiple times on line.

Yes, the early 2019 had transmissions issues (new model, first year issues) but I've not talked to anyone who had issues who were not made whole by Subaru (either transmission replacement or replaced the car via lemon law). Every car has issues-my Pilot had significant transmission issues that Honda finally fixed after the car after it went into safety mode a few times- ever have your car drop from driving speed on the highway to a max of 35 mph with no warning? I have, thanks Honda. The current complaints I hear about the Ascent are that the windows crack easily and the battery drains if you leave the trunk open for 30+ minutes. My friend who has a new Honda minivan is experiencing radio/electrical issues that has been reported multiple times on line.

Yes, I have had a car that would randomly stall out while driving - a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder that I lemoned out. I frequented the Subaru ascent owners forum for months reading about all the issues they were having with their ascents. After having to lemon out a car, there was no way I would jump back into that situation again. I have had Honda’s since 2013. No issues whatsoever. I have heard of the radio issues some Honda’s are having. I would much rather deal with a radio issue than a transmission issue. One can kill you when it decides to stop working and one can’t :)

I understand your hesitation to jump back into a car with known issues. I had three Hondas prior to the 2010 Pilot. After that miserable experience with the transmission I was not interested in purchasing a new Pilot (not to mention my dislike of the appearance of the new body style). Choices are a lovely thing.

I rented an Equinox somewhere and was pleasantly surprised by it. It is very seldom that i am pleased with a car I rent.

I drive a 2019 Black Ford Escape along with about 4000 other people in my town that have black Escapes around the same year. My husband drives a 2019 black GMC Sierra, also a very popular vehicle around here. Our son drives an older red Ford Focus and I haven’t seen many red ones around here. Before this car he drove a red Ford Fiesta Hatchback which was really rare to see.

I have a 2019 Chevy Silverado. We have 10 people at my worksite. 6 of us drive Silverados and one has a Sierra (basically the same) and our work trucks are Silverados. Not unpopular at all.

My husband and I are not unique in our area we just moved to, but we are more unique than we were in the place we moved from. I drive a 2019 Toyota Highlander (in Ooh La La Rouge...so fancy), and he drives a 2020 black Toyota 4Runner. We didn't plan on having two new cars so close together, but he got a new job that didn't come with a company car (as his previous was), and my Ford Edge junked out on me after 4 years (yay!) so here we are driving the same car as everyone else lol. Thankfully I haven't seen anyone else with the same color as mine here, but black 4Runners are everywhere, just thankful he has a nicer trim package so we can spot which one is his in the parking lot.

I drive an explorer and they are extremely popular here. We live close to the Ford truck plant. I never noticed how popular they were until we bought one. I see them all day everyday now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter