How well is touringplans working in a non-fastpass world?

Just watched a video on this at the gym while working out. They explained how they do their times and compared to WDW times. First, and I believe this, Disney will post times longer than they think they will be. Why? So people are not mad they waiting in line 20 minutes longer than the stated time. Then when they are done 20 minutes ahead of time, this leaves a better feeling in their attitude toward wait times. I agree with this ... under promise and then people are happy. Touring Plans actually sends people to the park, looks at the stated wait time on the app, puts someone in line, then compares them. The video I watched showed the specifics from that day. They did this on several of the big rides. In most cases, not all, they were much more accurate than the disney app times. Of course there are times when this may not be the case. And, keep in mind these are unprecedented times. But, I have used them to gather info and watch trend prior to a trip. The philosophy behind it is sound. The information I have read demonstrates they invest in trying to get it right. We have been happy, for the most part.

I think, as with everything, your mileage may vary. I've been to WDW between a dozen and twenty times (though not since Dec 2015). I've read all of the guides and stay fairly up to date. AND, I subscribed to TP this year (for the first time) because I think their tools will help me. Everyone's different (and every trip, especially now, is different).

I agree - we have been 35 plus times to WDW and I still watch the videos, read the sites, etc. as I get ready to plan and go. We have an August trip and I am gathering as much information as I can. I think in these times it is extremely helpful because things are changing daily. I can't be there - and many times these subscriptions have people in the parks all the time. I appreciate that. And, am willing to pay for them to share their insights with me. It isn't for everyone, but for me, I enjoy it. It is kinda my release from the more "serious" things of my position.

What is your threshold for "limited"? They just updated their crowd calendars based on Covid data last week. The forecasts aren't static.

Yes - I just watched a video yesterday reporting on what they found in the parks two days ago. The data input seems to be relevant and up to date. I get notices from them letting me know when they see changes for my upcoming dates. That is helpful as I don't have to monitor it so closely.

Do you need a subscription to touring plans to use the lines app? Not sure I would use to to plan in advance but would enjoy adding data points to the system when in line (other than heads up what else is there to do?? 😄)

Yes - you can subscribe on the website. First year it is about $18 and renewals are around $12-13 for the year.

I see average wait times often in the 30-60 minute range for most rides across the parks lately. Though not terrible, I'm used to being able to stay under about 20 minutes by strategic touring. Yet on doing a custom TouringPlans plan for this week and letting it optimize for me, it shows me hitting all of my major MK rides without fastpass and never waiting more than about 20 minutes for anything, including 7DMT and the mountains (minus space).

Is it really that good?

I've been planning on staying at a DS resort that I'm not that thrilled about because of the upcoming "early entry" benefit and the hope that maybe fastpass will come back and DS might get special privileges. But if touring plans is that good at getting wait times down to sup-20 minutes waits, then I'm going to move off site.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Keep in mind, this is simply a data point to be used in helping you make your decision. In this era of no fast pass, you are going to wait in lines. Also, with some social distancing in place, and fast pass lines not being used, lines look longer than they would have been in times when fast pass was running. There is a thread that goes through the numbers someplace. In terms of fast pass coming back, I would plan that it will not, for your own sanity. The early entry is a fur sure starting in October, but keep in mind that is only 30 minutes (2-3 rides, probably) and you need to be an early morning person. The evening hours there are too many unknowns ... how long? how many days? impact of hopper? etc. so in reality that one is a wild card too. Too many rumors spinning around paid vs unpaid fast pass, etc. to even factor into any considerations. None of this probably helps, but I would stay where it is comfortable for you in terms of budget, atmosphere, hotel amenities, etc. And, assume you will be waiting in lines of 60 minutes or more - especially in October.

Keep in mind, this is simply a data point to be used in helping you make your decision. In this era of no fast pass, you are going to wait in lines. Also, with some social distancing in place, and fast pass lines not being used, lines look longer than they would have been in times when fast pass was running. There is a thread that goes through the numbers someplace. In terms of fast pass coming back, I would plan that it will not, for your own sanity. The early entry is a fur sure starting in October, but keep in mind that is only 30 minutes (2-3 rides, probably) and you need to be an early morning person. The evening hours there are too many unknowns ... how long? how many days? impact of hopper? etc. so in reality that one is a wild card too. Too many rumors spinning around paid vs unpaid fast pass, etc. to even factor into any considerations. None of this probably helps, but I would stay where it is comfortable for you in terms of budget, atmosphere, hotel amenities, etc. And, assume you will be waiting in lines of 60 minutes or more - especially in October.

Results are only as good as the data..... with things in flux, the historic data they use is sometimes way off.

And we have got to the point that you almost need a degree to even book a WDW vacation... so these smarter vacationers tend to look at all the different sites that offer tips and best strategies. Which in turn ends up driving people to do something counter to the historic data. Take Rope Drop.... few years ago that was a wonderful way to enjoy a whole land at MK, didn't even fill up the ticketing area.

Results are only as good as the data..... with things in flux, the historic data they use is sometimes way off.

And we have got to the point that you almost need a degree to even book a WDW vacation... so these smarter vacationers tend to look at all the different sites that offer tips and best strategies. Which in turn ends up driving people to do something counter to the historic data. Take Rope Drop.... few years ago that was a wonderful way to enjoy a whole land at MK, didn't even fill up the ticketing area.

Agree!

With the caveat we went in April before capacity expanded but the Lines app was on point with just about every estimated wait time. The only exceptions were rides with more social distancing challenges like ToT (one elevator might have only the minimum because they were all strangers but then another might be more full because it was a large group). It was really helpful since with the lines so elongated to keep 6’ of space some lines were gigantic (FOP’s line was almost to FOTL) but they moved quickly. We trusted the app in those instances and it came through!

I think TP's LINES app is a vital resource that helps you resist the Jedi mind tricks operations plays with the numbers. I cynically view operations toying with these numbers to shift us away to other rides and attractions, and this offers some real world, realistic perspective.

With the caveat we went in April before capacity expanded but the Lines app was on point with just about every estimated wait time. The only exceptions were rides with more social distancing challenges like ToT (one elevator might have only the minimum because they were all strangers but then another might be more full because it was a large group). It was really helpful since with the lines so elongated to keep 6’ of space some lines were gigantic (FOP’s line was almost to FOTL) but they moved quickly. We trusted the app in those instances and it came through!
Agreed. We were there in April and there was no way to judge lines. Frozen had a line that extended into China and looped several times. It was 35 minutes, I timed it.
7DMT line looped back nearly to the exit of Voyage of the little mermaid, 40 minute wait. The lines app was very close on all.

I have subscribed to Touring Plans for many years. The information for planning is great. My strong point for re-subscribing is that they will send in a room request 30 days prior to arrival and it has worked great for us. We have always got the building/view we requested and a few times the exact room. We stay a lot at Old Key West.

I am not in any way affiliated with TouringPlans, but as someone with a math degree who has listened to them speak on numerous podcasts about what they do, I feel like someone needs to stick up for them a little bit here, as while it’s technically correct to say they don’t have any secret insider information or anything like that, they actually do invest a lot of time and resources into studying trends in the parks in order to provide predictions that are as accurate as possible. They do super nerdy deep dives into data and trends and they collect insane amounts of data, both crowdsourced and via actually physically sitting in the parks and counting ride throughputs and the like. While they may not be using any data that others don’t have access to, they certainly ARE prioritizing the collection and analysis of that data in sophisticated ways that others simply don’t take the time to do.

So…. while of course nobody’s predictions are going to be perfect (cue Jeff Goldblum‘s water droplet demonstration in Jurassic Park), TouringPlans is pretty awesome and they take this stuff really seriously.

agree wholeheartedly

For me, the best part is the room resort views. I use that when I'm deciding where I want to request a room. I'm going to try the restaurant reservations this next trip. I've used them since 2004. Subscription is under $20 a year.

Before, I bought the books. Loved the stories they had in it. ......Hmmm maybe it's time to buy a new book! Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

Does TP show wait times before official opening for rope drops? I'm asking because last couple of days, I see "offline" and a wait time,.

I don’t believe they do, because the parks would open at different times each day. At least that’s what I recall from April when we RD.

Another fan of TP Lines app here. I used a custom touring plan on July 4 at MK and did 17 (non unique) attractions plus HEA. I optimized throughout the day and the plan responded to real time conditions (it knew when 7DMT was offline for example).

On the other hand I didn't bother with a touring plan for my HS day July 3, but used the app for guidance on current wait times, and :Ride Now" vs "Ride Later."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter